New Baby British Pasport Application Info

matsky13

Hi Everyone My Thai Wife and I ae expecting a baby in the next month ,we hope to travel to the uk shortly after the birth ,I am now in the UK , but hope to be back in Thailand for the birth where i will try to get the new Thai and UK passports for the baby , I will also be trying to get a Thai passport for my Thai "stepdaughter" I had a look at the British embassy first passport link . the one problem i see is the fact they i ask for a profesional counter signature . I dont know anyone in her locality for 2 years who would qualify . It does say a letter explaining why this is the case would be ok , i just wondered if anyone has done this already .

I have had some great info on Thaivisa over the last year it has helped me gain a visitor visa for my then girlfriend and then lots of info helped me jump through all the legal hoops and we are now married .has anyone got any links to comprehensive check lists needed for new born baby and legal requirements for travel to the uk or other countries as its probably all similar I have been piecing stuff together myself, But just wondered if something was already out there ?

I have lots of other questions regarding health care, and benefits in uk for Thai/UK baby and also about pre schooling availability for a 3 year old Thai Stepdaughter here in the uk . Maybe start some new topics re this ?

All help welcome

Also i have the original birth certificate from my parents , but is this the "long form " they refer to , I cant seem to find any solid information about this either . Some one must have done all this recently already ,

Countersignature not required for British passport applications made in Thailand.

Long form will have your parents names and address at time of your birth on it.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

I don't think they check too carefully - it was 3 years ago when I did it for my daughter and I got my local bar owner to sign it. I didn't check it afterwards and when I got to the embassy they asked me what his surname was as he had just written his first name down and passport number. I didn't know his surname plus the embassy had taken my phone off me so I couldn't call him but the lady at the embassy said it wouldn't be a problem and accepted the application which was sent to Hong Kong for processing and a couple of weeks or so later the passport arrived back.

• Like 1

I don't think they check too carefully - it was 3 years ago when I did it for my daughter and I got my local bar owner to sign it. I didn't check it afterwards and when I got to the embassy they asked me what his surname was as he had just written his first name down and passport number. I didn't know his surname plus the embassy had taken my phone off me so I couldn't call him but the lady at the embassy said it wouldn't be a problem and accepted the application which was sent to Hong Kong for processing and a couple of weeks or so later the passport arrived back.

First time applicants have to submit their application to the embassy, so if you go in person, they can check the likeness of the photo themselves, and the countersignature becomes unnecessary. But just get a doctor to sign for you. They very seldom contact the countersignature, and only do so if there is a problem with your application.

• Like 1

Thanks its nice to here from people who have been there and done it , gives me the confvidence to go for it .I am still worried about the long form birth certificate though , The one i have is a4 size and has my parents name and address also the occupation , but is all typed and not hand written !

I am scared to get to Bangkok and it not be the right one , Its a little late hen do anything about it .

Thanks its nice to here from people who have been there and done it , gives me the confvidence to go for it .I am still worried about the long form birth certificate though , The one i have is a4 size and has my parents name and address also the occupation , but is all typed and not hand written !

I am scared to get to Bangkok and it not be the right one , Its a little late hen do anything about it .

post-152992-0-12454000-1360749095_thumb.

OK, the list of documents that must be supplied (from http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/passports1/passports-a-to-z/d-topics/documents), but under the heading:

"Always Required (Mandatory) (if it applies to you):" (which I assume means not mandatory at all??? The British government are hopeless).

Full birth certificate/s (the UK and some other countries do a long version - with parents’ details, or short version - with just the details of the person born. We require the long version)

Marriage certificate

Divorce papers

Adoption certificate/papers

Deed Poll or other name change documents

Certificate of Naturalisation/Registration

My question - I have been reliably informed that registering the birth at the British Consulate/Embassy is not repuired for a passport application, though the Certificate of Naturalisation/Registration is required. What is this? Registering the birth at the consulate is several thousand Baht and I have little desire to do so unless there is a requirement for it.

Of the above, I can supply original and translations of Marriage and Birth certificates, is that sufficient for a new passport for a newborn? I am the father, British Citizen by birth, the mother is Thai.

Next - the translations:

You may check your local Embassy to find a list of recognised translators.

I live in Chiang Mai so have so far always dealt with the British Consulate who have employed Thai people who have an incredible ability to not answer a question. They have a policy of not recommending any translator. Does the embassy in Bangkok recommend anyone, and if so, who is going to do a good job of it? (By PM if necessary).

Finally, my daughter qualifies as a British Citizen. The FCO site states not to book tickets until the passport has been received. If I were to book tickets but not get the passport for whatever reason, if my daughter were to travel out of Thailand on a Thai passport, would she be able to enter Britain as a British citizen with no British passport (not using the Thai passport)?

Matsky - when I applied for my older son's UK passport my birth cert was the A4 typed kind and no problems.

Now about to apply for the second son's UK passport, and I can't find my birth certificate and am pretty certain it got thrown out along with a lot of stuff damaged in a flood at home - off topic I know, but anyone know anything about applying for a replacement from the UK?

Naboo,

I think you are confusing registering the birth at the embassy and registering as a British Citizen - they are two different things. Indeed, you are not required to register the birth at the embassy to get the passport. If you were born in the U.K to British parents, you are British at birth, so you do not need to register or naturalise as British, and you do not need to supply those documents.

If you are handing in your application in person, there are several translators just down the road to the British embassy.

If your daughter does not get her British passport, she has no proof she is British. She will just have a Thai passport with no visa, so i'm pretty sure she will be refused entry, so get the passport first - that's assuming she gets passed airport check-in, who should check passports. Get tickets where you can change the dates or get refund if necessary.

• Like 1

Matsky - when I applied for my older son's UK passport my birth cert was the A4 typed kind and no problems.

Now about to apply for the second son's UK passport, and I can't find my birth certificate and am pretty certain it got thrown out along with a lot of stuff damaged in a flood at home - off topic I know, but anyone know anything about applying for a replacement from the UK?

You can order a new one from the GRO online

http://www.gro.gov.u...t/certificates/

Less than a tenner (ukp) delivered to your address in Thailand, takes about 6 weeks.

25 quid if you want it in a hurry.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

My question - I have been reliably informed that registering the birth at the British Consulate/Embassy is not repuired for a passport application, though the Certificate of Naturalisation/Registration is required. What is this? Registering the birth at the consulate is several thousand Baht and I have little desire to do so unless there is a requirement for it.

If you lose the Thai birth certificate, it makes things much easier if you have registered the birth with the Embassy.

Cos you can order copies online in the future, and there is no question of proving anything (see post #13).

I think it's worthwhile, I paid the extra and did it.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

You can order a new one from the GRO online

http://www.gro.gov.u...t/certificates/

Less than a tenner (ukp) delivered to your address in Thailand, takes about 6 weeks.

25 quid if you want it in a hurry.

Thx Tommo. Actually since posting its turned up - the darling wife had it filed somewhere.