Diving Koh Chang?

nellyp

My nephew is coming over for 2 weeks and will spend 5 days on an island. I have suggested Koh Chang, but he wants to do some scuba. Is Koh Chang Ok for that or would you suggest another island? As far as I'm aware he will only scuba for 1 or 2 days

Cheers all

• Like 1

There are several organised diving trips from the pier at the south western end of the Island. You go through White Sands Beach and keep going until you see the right turn for the pier.

There have been a few deaths involving novice tourists and incompetent supervisors in Thailand but I've heard nothing bad at those on Koh Chang.

This might help:

http://divekohchang.com/

I'd recommend Kacha R3esort on White Sands Beach. It includes a hotel, rooms near the beach and a posy collections of superior rooms around the pool. A buffet breakfast is included in the room rate but I don't recommend the expensive lunches and dinners. The beach has several restaurants and bars which bring tables onto the beach in the evening. Buffalo Bills is worth a visit too, especially if he likes beef steak.

http://www.kachareso...ommodation.html

Edited by Morden
  • Like 1

There's actually more than one Koh Chang, but you probably mean the more well-known one in the Gulf of Thailand. In fact, there are a number of dive operators there, and the diving can be pleasant. It's not the best diving Thailand offers, but if he only wants a couple of days of diving during his visit here, I would guess that he's not a hard-core diver anyway, so I'm sure it will be fine and he'll enjoy himself.

Edited by mfiskong
  • Like 1

There's actually more than one Koh Chang, but you probably mean the more well-known one in the Gulf of Thailand. In fact, there are a number of dive operators there, and the diving can be pleasant. It's not the best diving Thailand offers, but if he only wants a couple of days of diving during his visit here, I would guess that he's not a hard-core diver anyway, so I'm sure it will be fine and he'll enjoy himself.

I know he has been diving before and has done so in Israel and Egypt for definite as well as 2 other places. He has told me he does not have a PADI licence but feels it will not be a problem because of his experience. Do you think that is correct or will he have trouble because of this? Do you know if he will see much aquatic life. When I dived in Phi Phi there were sharks moray eels shoals of fish etc does Koh Chang have any of this? I understand they have a wreck which may be interesting.

Cheers

I doubt whether the organisers are particular about licences because they seem keen to take novices.

I think that the dive boats go to some small islands off Koh Chang. They are close so not much time is lost in getting there. What's in the sea I don't know but it's normally very clear and clean.

I doubt whether the organisers are particular about licences because they seem keen to take novices.

I think that the dive boats go to some small islands off Koh Chang. They are close so not much time is lost in getting there. What's in the sea I don't know but it's normally very clear and clean.

Ok I'll let him know. Thank you both for your replies

Without a certification he will be asked more money because of more stringent supervision and will be limited in depth and divesites. The nicest divesites will be off limits to him.

OK I'll tell him that too

There are a number of providers on Koh Chang. I have no personal business interest with them, but live on the island. I have had clients use all of these providers in the past, and all with good feedback.

The following ones i would recommend are

Scandinavian Dive Center http://www.changdiving.com

Dive Adventure http://www.diveadventurekohchang.com/

Whitesands Dive Center and Sea and Sun.

All of these are good quality providers, the later two are smaller operations, whereas the first two are larger.

There are a number of providers on Koh Chang. I have no personal business interest with them, but live on the island. I have had clients use all of these providers in the past, and all with good feedback.

The following ones i would recommend are

Scandinavian Dive Center http://www.changdiving.com

Dive Adventure http://www.diveadventurekohchang.com/

Whitesands Dive Center and Sea and Sun.

All of these are good quality providers, the later two are smaller operations, whereas the first two are larger.

Great he can have a look at them before he comes . He wants to spend time in a beach-hut (actually on the beach). Do you know of any reasonably priced ones (below 2K)? He is only staying on Koh Chang for 5 days. He said that perfection would be living on a beach in a hut with aircon (as a preference) have 2 days scuba diving 1 day snorkling and 2 days of kicking back. I seem to have turned yo into an information booth, I was just wondering if you knew of anywhere.

What are you doing on the island? I'm coming over with him, and could maybe thank you with a beer

Edited by nellyp

Plenty of good places on the island to stay, and if you have a budget of up to 2k then there are some good places to be found.

If you are looking for the hut experience, well there is

Nature Beach in Lonely Beach.

A few other nice places, but not totally on the beach but walkable are

Happy Turtle in Bai Lan, the owner Nick is a Dive instructor a nice bloke.

Buzzas Bungalows in Kae Bae, cheap and cheerful.

Gu Bay in Bai lan, again price wise reasonable and a nice location.

Bai Lan Hut, right on the water.

I will check a couple of others out and PM you, but there is plenty around.

• Like 2

Plenty of good places on the island to stay, and if you have a budget of up to 2k then there are some good places to be found.

If you are looking for the hut experience, well there is

Nature Beach in Lonely Beach.

A few other nice places, but not totally on the beach but walkable are

Happy Turtle in Bai Lan, the owner Nick is a Dive instructor a nice bloke.

Buzzas Bungalows in Kae Bae, cheap and cheerful.

Gu Bay in Bai lan, again price wise reasonable and a nice location.

Bai Lan Hut, right on the water.

I will check a couple of others out and PM you, but there is plenty around.

Thanks mate, I'll look at these, and look forward to your PM. I really will owe you a drink,

If you are looking for a room and diving on Koh Chang then the best value divecentre must be www.scuba-dawgs.com.

The two other divecentres Mr Toad said are good but are much more expensive. Scubadawgs offer free rooms at their

resort www.cliff-cottage.com when you book a course.

I have used them lots and stay at their resort regularly. I have no vested interest in with them other than i am a friend

and customer of one of the owners Jack who is a great guy and the most experienced instructor on Koh Chang.

The boat is great and they have great food,new equipment and even give towels and free use of divecomputers.

• Like 1

I can think of a few instructors that might doubt the veracity of the statement regarding experience, but you are right about the price they are the cheapest on the island.

Edited by mrtoad

I can think of a few instructors that might doubt the veracity of the statement regarding experience, but you are right about the price they are the cheapest on the island.

Actually with hindsight i should have said one of the most experienced as Patrick from sea and sun is also very experienced as is Patrick from BB divers.

Did you book Nelly? i am going to Koh Chang in a few weeks time . I want to see how the wreck is doing after 4 months down.

Still chewing it over. It's the Nephew doing the diving. I'm past that now unfortunately. loved floating about watching schools of fish passing by with trhe Sun glimmering through them. Hark at me... Only been diving 4 times, wicked though. I really wanted to take the nephew to Phi Phi asd I dived there 10 years ago and it was an immense experience. Takes too long with him travelling thoiugh

Actually with hindsight i should have said one of the most experienced as Patrick from sea and sun is also very experienced as is Patrick from BB divers.

Mark at Whitesands, Nick, Peter, etc, etc. The list goes on.

Blatant sales talk is what I smell.

Anyway my feedback is independent, as I have absolutely no link to any of the Centres other than living on the island for a few years.

Mark at Whitesands, Nick, Peter, etc, etc. The list goes on.

Blatant sales talk is what I smell.

Anyway my feedback is independent, as I have absolutely no link to any of the Centres other than living on the island for a few years.

Sorry but i also have no link to any divecentre on the Island. I am only giving my personal opinion of a very good divecentre

that i regularly use. BTW, i called Jack today and asked him how many certifications he has. He told me over 500 certifications so if

any of the 3 guys you mention i have more apologise but my guess is that he has more than the 3 of them put together.

Anyway im not getting into a pissing contest with you.

Im down pretty soon so PM me where you drink and i will come and buy you a beer and maybe we can dive together.

• Like 1