The Chinese Are Coming: Thai Opinion

webfact

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Chinese population is 1.4 billion, or 20 per cent of the world's total," so noted the OP, as if this were a wonderously grand development of human history..

How many countries have a population of 1 billion or greater? One other country has a population of 1 billion or greater and we know it is India.

Third most populous is the United States, at 315 million, followed by Indonesia with 240 million (Indonesia by the way will dominate ASEAN, as Indonesia already has a USD $1 trillion GDP). The population of every country except China and India are counted in the millions (New Zealand at 4+ million), or the tens of millions (Germany at 85 million) or the very few countries that have a few hundred millions of population, e.g., Philippines (100 m), Mexico (115 m), Brazil (pushing 200 m), Russia (still pushing 200 million) and a few others. Although the planet is grossly overpopulated, these population data are the norm, the rule, the standard and the typical.

So it is the case that China and India are two countries that exist in their own category of population, i.e., the in excess of 1 billion population club - we might call them the C-2 (the Club of Two).. Together China and India account for more than 2.5 billion people on this hard-pressed planet. China and India, because they strain the earth's resources beyond capacity, and because they create a large mass of poor who live on less than USD $5 a day, are, plainly and directly stated, freak of nature countries Whatever on earth does one do with a country of more than a billion people?!? The answer is that one guards against it as they seek to inhale the earth's resources while pollution the air, land and water. The militant, censoring, punishing CCP dictators in Beijing covetously eye the lands and resources claimed or possessed by other countries, which is the classic historical recipie of war. So yes the Chinese are coming - they are coming with their genetic biological warfare (kills only caucasians) and their People's Liberation Army. Get ready Thailand and the world, you're going to be liberated of your freedoms, your independence and your historical and cultural values of democracy and liberty

You might want to check out this link concerning China, the United States and the hellish pollution that permeates the CCP's PRC, to include acid raid throught the PRChina: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonchang/2013/01/27/china-demands-u-s-taxpayers-clean-up-its-air/

Coming soon apparantely can't be soon enough for some unfortunate people, especially people who relate simple Old World mystical parables that are of little or no relevance to the present or to the future.

Great post and story.. thank you.. clap2.gif

They have to travel in big numbers as it takes 4 to equal the spending of 1 westerner. With an average income of 5,000dollars a year not a lot to spend on holiday

The Chinese that take holidays often have much more money than Westerners. In Harrods in London, affluent Chinese tourists spend an average of £3,500 ($5,700) on a store visit. I doubt many Westerners have that sort of money to spend.

Edited by davejones

Let"s not forget that the PRChina has 700,000,000 people living on less than USD $5 a day and that the largest disparity among all countries between the rich and the poor exists in China. Thailand is not far behind.

Globally, Thailand does not rank in the top ten tourist destinations. Numbers 1, 2, 3 respectively, are France, the United States and China.

In the Asia Pacific region, Thailand ranks 4th. Hong Kong is 3rd, Malaysia 2nd, China 1st.

In international tourism recepits, Thailand again doesn't get into the top 10. The leader by far in this category is the United States, followed distantly by Spain, then France as the top three.

Thais and Thailand think much too much of themselves and far too much of their country, history, culture, heritage, hospitality, food - Thais and their former LOS just isn't the buff tourist attraction Thais are convinced it is. As we've witnessed, Thailand in fact offers limited global appeal as a tourist destination.

http://en.wikipedia....ourism_rankings

Given the rampant/rabid nationalism/ethnocentrism I have seen on Thai Visa I find your last paragraph very hard to believe when compared to posters here. PS We have not witnessed anything unless you are using the royal We!

Edited by chiangmaikelly

The traveling Chinese are good spenders for high end shopping. Shame is, the resorts don't have high end shopping. the ones coming in groups to Thailand now are middle low end tourists, but they keep the hotels busy.

However, since they aren't traditionally big beach goers, what do they do in the resorts. That said, i got an email from an old colleague the other day wanting to come to chiangmai for 3 months with her daughter for summer school.

I think the mountains are as big an attraction for Chinese travelers as the beach. It won't be good in the long run for pattayas traditional business though. sex abounds in China, and traveling in groups is hardly conducive to getting out and about alone.

The Singaporeans, including the local ethnic Chinese are getting increasingly annoyed with the mass influx of Chinese from the PRC. There are thousands moving there looking for employment with total disregard for local laws and customs. Last time I visited I noticed Chinese spitting in the street and eating on the SRT, two misdemeanors which carry heavy fines.

They are moving in numbers into Bangkok also. I visited a restaurant on Thanon Chan today which was exclusively staffed by mainland Chinese.

Let"s not forget that the PRChina has 700,000,000 people living on less than USD $5 a day and that the largest disparity among all countries between the rich and the poor exists in China. Thailand is not far behind.

Globally, Thailand does not rank in the top ten tourist destinations. Numbers 1, 2, 3 respectively, are France, the United States and China.

In the Asia Pacific region, Thailand ranks 4th. Hong Kong is 3rd, Malaysia 2nd, China 1st.

In international tourism recepits, Thailand again doesn't get into the top 10. The leader by far in this category is the United States, followed distantly by Spain, then France as the top three.

Thais and Thailand think much too much of themselves and far too much of their country, history, culture, heritage, hospitality, food - Thais and their former LOS just isn't the buff tourist attraction Thais are convinced it is. As we've witnessed, Thailand in fact offers limited global appeal as a tourist destination.

http://en.wikipedia....ourism_rankings

Given the rampant/rabid nationalism/ethnocentrism I have seen on Thai Visa I find your last paragraph very hard to believe when compared to posters here. PS We have not witnessed anything unless you are using the royal We!

I would add that, I think it was the Baltimore newspaper man A.J. Leibling who wrote a century ago that only two kinds of people can properly say "we." They are kings and editorial page writers. Another variation on the theme is kings and people who have tapeworms. Which brings us back to Thailand.

The Singaporeans, including the local ethnic Chinese are getting increasingly annoyed with the mass influx of Chinese from the PRC. There are thousands moving there looking for employment with total disregard for local laws and customs. Last time I visited I noticed Chinese spitting in the street and eating on the SRT, two misdemeanors which carry heavy fines.

They are moving in numbers into Bangkok also. I visited a restaurant on Thanon Chan today which was exclusively staffed by mainland Chinese.

In Thailand they worry more about russians. The Chinese have had Thailand in it's pocket for 50 years already. Would anyone dare to bust illegal Chinese workers in Thailand?

I wonder if they were checked for work permits? laugh.png I was going to make a comment here about the Thai's attitude towards farangs and their preference for their Chinese brethern, but decided it would cause too many unwanted rants..so let's let things proceed and see where they fall.. coffee1.gif

I would add that the mainland Chinese are also causing a stir in Hong Kong.,They've been doing so for several years concerning several issues. To begin with, the people of Hong Kong accurately regard the mainland Chinese as bumkins, which they of course are -.mainland sheeple can only recite their programming by Beijing. Mainlanders however do care about poisoned milk knowingly made so by mainland companies, so they go to Hong Kong where food quality is much safer and reliable, such as with baby formula. However, the HKG government the other day restricted the number of baby formula cans mainlanders can buy in Hong Kong to two (all Chinese have a residence card; we foreigners do too, while I was there). The move was in response to HKG residents who have to fight mainlanders hoarding cans of baby formula for their own malnourished kids. And those mainlanders who go to HKG to give birth so their child can be entitiled to a HKG education instead of a moribund mainland one is an especially sensitive issue, given the cost of education in HKG relative to a mainland education, not to mention the opposite universes of value.. .

http://www.scmp.com/...ood-bust-occurs

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 1

"I am convinced that William Shakespeare would have loved Sun Tzu," the OP drivels on.

Shakespeare and Sun Tzu had nothing in common and my guess is that they would have bored each other to death. Specifically, Shakespeare wrote in the tradition of the ancient Greek writers. While Shakespeare wrote of tragedy, folly and vainglory, thus showing us a better way in our lives, Sun Tzu wrote of how to be a snake, a slippery eel, an elusive and evasive creep. I doubt Shakespeare could have respected such a man as Sun Tzu, or that Sun Tzu could have comprehended the depth or profundity of Wm Shakespeare.

This is the Chinese/Lunar Year of the Snake so perhaps we should be even more alert whilst we enjoy the solar year, 2013.

• Like 1

The Chinese have been in Thailand for many years,and not just in the roll of Tourist,just look at the Shinawatra Clan,the Charoens,and many other wealthy chinese families,the Gold Shops,the business men,the Stock exchange, Moguls,and many others,even at street level.

They have been in Thailand for a long time,quietly buying up large businesses and vast tracks of the Country.And can even finance Countries with loans.

By far the most consumer products,sold to the World, has got "Made in China on the bottom"Watch out Thailand" you are being bought out wholesale! never mind the Tourist bubble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Chinese

Edited by MAJIC

This will continue, given the forecast that by 2020 there will be 100 million Chinese tourists travelling the world. Three million this year for Thailand, the number could be more than 5 million by then.

I think I shared a lift with most of them in a Bangkok hotel last week.

Note to Chinese tour groups. In Thailand if you do not all get in the same lift as your tour guide it does not mean you're going to be taken outside an summary executed. Neither are the hotel staff going to release Zyklon B through the lobby for those unfortunates left behind.

• Like 2

This will continue, given the forecast that by 2020 there will be 100 million Chinese tourists travelling the world. Three million this year for Thailand, the number could be more than 5 million by then.

Note to Chinese tour groups. In Thailand if you do not all get in the same lift as your tour guide it does not mean you're going to be taken outside an summary executed. Neither are the hotel staff going to release Zyklon B through the lobby for those unfortunates left behind.

That sounds like trying to get on a lift at Singapore in a commercial building at 9:00am. Unbelievable.
  • Like 1

clap2.gifcheesy.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what they think of the t-shirts on koh San road that say "Tibet tianamen square Taiwan" or communist party shirts

I wonder how many spies are sent to Thailand to listen in on TV or your email accounts?

I've had experience with at least one. He is right here in Thailand.

"The Chinese are coming" ?

I thought they were already here, had been for many years.

Yes, and they brought corruption and Face from the very beginning to the once ancient Thailand.

So in other words you can say that Thailand did get colonized, right under the table cloak, by the same Chinese-Thai ancestors that brought this corruption culture here in the first place..

You do realise that most Thais are originally from China . . . and Mon-Khmer and Malay . . .

Edited by Sing_Sling

"The Chinese are coming" ?

I thought they were already here, had been for many years.

Yes, and they brought corruption and Face from the very beginning to the once ancient Thailand.

So in other words you can say that Thailand did get colonized, right under the table cloak, by the same Chinese-Thai ancestors that brought this corruption culture here in the first place..

You do realise that Thais are originally from China . . .

Doesn't matter to me, I feel so ashamed about my own race, it hurts so badly...

A beautiful Buddhist tale. I will copy and keep.

Correct me if I am wrong but on the darks side of town in Bangkok, girls are getting paid more by relatively wealthy, cashed up, middle class Koreans, Japanese and Chinese men, willing to reward the sexiest women on the planet for their time and favours.

"Experienced" farangs have been complaining it is forcing prices up. Some girls refusing to service well hung, tight arse farangs with a long list of expectations, and access to the latest in enhancement substances and injectables.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but in Thailand similarly to her neighbours, at least to the south, the Chinese, like the jews in Europe have been marrying into the wealthy local families for decades.

For sensible people, love is less important than money.

Now its Chinese/ Thai families that control Bangkok and have those traditional connections to America, the World Bank, etc which Thaksin was so eager to shift out.

This ruling ethnic elite are also present in Indonesia and where this economic clout is going to affect us, is in their traditional disregard for the environment. As the Chinese continue their economic domination of the world, we may have to stand by and watch as the Chinese first buy and then "eat" Thailand, and everywhere else around here.

I thought I was the only one that noticed this. I find that all the businesses are run by the Chinese. That the ethnic Thai are left in the fringes. When I complain about late deliveries for my orders, the boss sometimes says 'Thai workers are lazy/stupid/drink too much'. I did not know what they meant by this because I was surprised to hear a 'Thai' talk about fellow Thai like this. It puzzled me then I came to realize that the boss was Chinese 'Thai'.

When I look at the red shirt movement, most of them are dark skinned ethnic Thai. From speaking to many of them (usually Taxi drivers), I know they feel racially discriminated against by the ruling class (Chinese 'Thai'). It is alarming how calculating, decisive and forward planning the Chinese are. I feel very sorry for the ethnic Thai. They are already second class citizens. I get the feeling it will get worse for them. The funny thing is the Thai cannot see the difference between Chinese 'Thai' and Thai. But the Chinese 'Thai' certainly do. Just a thought

You only just worked this out?

They have to travel in big numbers as it takes 4 to equal the spending of 1 westerner. With an average income of 5,000dollars a year not a lot to spend on holiday

Have you read some of the posts on TV by the big time spender farang? Complaining about not getting Thai discounts of a few baht (on principle of course) at some restaurants or parks. Some are apoplectic about spending a few extra baht to get documents photocopied at Immigrations.

Certainly the higher end westerners spend more than the average Chinese or the average western backpacker, but if you check out the average western tourist staggering around Walking Street or Khao San Rd or Patpong, they are not going to make a big difference to the Thai GDP and certainly don't spend 4 x what the average Chinese spends.

The people traveling here from China or India are not the ones earning the gross national income per capita of $4,940 or less, anymore than the Brits who come here are likely to be those who David Cameron refers to as:" feckless couples who have children and expect to live on state handouts."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2163773/David-Cameron-axe-housing-benefits-feckless-25s-declares-war-welfare-culture.html#axzz2KfYCFNYm

you may have a point there elaborated very succinctly on this forum

"The Chinese population is 1.4 billion, or 20 per cent of the world's total," so noted the OP, as if this were a wonderously grand development of human history..

How many countries have a population of 1 billion or greater? One other country has a population of 1 billion or greater and we know it is India.

Third most populous is the United States, at 315 million, followed by Indonesia with 240 million (Indonesia by the way will dominate ASEAN, as Indonesia already has a USD $1 trillion GDP). The population of every country except China and India are counted in the millions (New Zealand at 4+ million), or the tens of millions (Germany at 85 million) or the very few countries that have a few hundred millions of population, e.g., Philippines (100 m), Mexico (115 m), Brazil (pushing 200 m), Russia (still pushing 200 million) and a few others. Although the planet is grossly overpopulated, these population data are the norm, the rule, the standard and the typical.

So it is the case that China and India are two countries that exist in their own category of population, i.e., the in excess of 1 billion population club - we might call them the C-2 (the Club of Two).. Together China and India account for more than 2.5 billion people on this hard-pressed planet. China and India, because they strain the earth's resources beyond capacity, and because they create a large mass of poor who live on less than USD $5 a day, are, plainly and directly stated, freak of nature countries Whatever on earth does one do with a country of more than a billion people?!? The answer is that one guards against it as they seek to inhale the earth's resources while pollution the air, land and water. The militant, censoring, punishing CCP dictators in Beijing covetously eye the lands and resources claimed or possessed by other countries, which is the classic historical recipie of war. So yes the Chinese are coming - they are coming with their genetic biological warfare (kills only caucasians) and their People's Liberation Army. Get ready Thailand and the world, you're going to be liberated of your freedoms, your independence and your historical and cultural values of democracy and liberty

You might want to check out this link concerning China, the United States and the hellish pollution that permeates the CCP's PRC, to include acid raid throught the PRChina: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonchang/2013/01/27/china-demands-u-s-taxpayers-clean-up-its-air/

Coming soon apparantely can't be soon enough for some unfortunate people, especially people who relate simple Old World mystical parables that are of little or no relevance to the present or to the future.

I believe you must be getting your information from the tea party. USA probably consumes as much as both India & China and pollutes the world far in excess of these countries. And certainly starts more wars than both these countries put together. I am not fond of the thought that Chinese may take over the world in more ways than we may like, but their record shows that it will not be done using the bomb. It will probably done by men marrying into the country and setting up shops. And eventually things will balance out. A damn site better than bombing countries with such weapons as agent orange and silently watching the fruits of this policy as it destroys generations ..... if you are american, this is not meant to offend you, just an alternative to consider that may actually be true. just a thought

I believe you must be getting your information from the tea party. USA probably consumes as much as both India & China and pollutes the world far in excess of these countries. And certainly starts more wars than both these countries put together. I am not fond of the thought that Chinese may take over the world in more ways than we may like, but their record shows that it will not be done using the bomb. It will probably done by men marrying into the country and setting up shops. And eventually things will balance out. A damn site better than bombing countries with such weapons as agent orange and silently watching the fruits of this policy as it destroys generations ..... if you are american, this is not meant to offend you, just an alternative to consider that may actually be true. just a thought

Goldman Sachs worked that out long ago....

I wonder if they were checked for work permits? laugh.png I was going to make a comment here about the Thai's attitude towards farangs and their preference for their Chinese brethern, but decided it would cause too many unwanted rants..so let's let things proceed and see where they fall.. coffee1.gif

Did you not know that the ruling elite in Thailand are Chinese?

I wonder what they think of the t-shirts on koh San road that say "Tibet tianamen square Taiwan" or communist party shirts

I wonder how many spies are sent to Thailand to listen in on TV or your email accounts?

I wonder how many american spies/military staff are here and have been here for many many years?

I wonder how many american spies/military staff are here and have been here for many many years?

Plenty everywhere.

One up country was 6ft 7 and looked like a guy from zztop. He blended in magnificently