Power Cables To Samui, Pha-Ngan

webfact

Power cables to Samui, Pha-ngan

The Nation

KOH SAMUI: -- Padung Banjongsilp, deputy governor of the Provincial Electricity Authority, and other executives led members of the press, top officials from Samui and Pha-ngan islands and the president of the Tourism and Hospitality Association to observe the laying of 115-kilovolt cables from Nakhon Si Thammarat to Samui in Surat Thani.

The demand for electricity in Samui has risen to 100MW, and in order to fulfil this, a third circuit has been set up along with a new substation. So far, 37.5 kilometres of the 54km cable has already been laid, and it is expected that after the substation goes into operation in March, it will be able to produce 200MW of electricity - meeting demand in both islands for at least 10 years.

PEA is spending Bt4 billion on this project, which comes under the government's policy to improve the quality of life in the islands, boost tourism and prepare the country for the launch of the Asean Economic Community.

PEA started providing power from a diesel generator to Samui since 1961. In 1987, in order to meet rising demand, the PEA laid 23km of cable to supply another 33KV of electricity to the island.

Then in 1995, the PEA set up its first circuit producing 115KV, before setting up a second circuit and building two substations, which have provided a reliable supply to Samui.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-12

Facts facts facts - chuck em about and see which way up they land . . . . I would start applauding just yet.

The new cable being laid appears to actually have the capacity of adding another 120MW - not the 200MW as stated in the quoted article. (See the previous post by liveinthailandos below in blue.) It brings to total to 200MW.

Samui currently has three power lines.

There are two lines active - the island's first 33-kv cable has been sending 18MW since 1986, the second 115kV line has broken and is disconnected, and the third 115kV line supplied 75MW. It was this third and newest one that blew up before Christmas - leaving us currently with only two connected power lines, one of 18MW and one of 75MW (assuming that the damaged cable has now been at least partially repaired? I recall reading that only some of its cores were able to be fixed and it's running at 2/3 capacity?)

The power line referred to in the newspaper article is the fourth line, which has been on order from Denmark (?) for quite a while now - correct me if I'm wrong . . .

Back in 2006 this latest cable - the one that recently exploded - closed down the island for around ten days while it was being installed, and the boast back then was that it would take care of the needs of the island for another ten years. It lasted less than six years . . . and then there's the original cable from 1986 which must be on its last legs by now.

And this is all still a hopeful wild guess as to the future power needs of Samui. The last wild guess in 2006 was woefully underestimated.

And the power to Samui is still all cobbled together with makeshift add-ons - a total (in March) of four cables, one of which is broken and another of which is 27 years old, and the third of which recently exploded.

It's another bodge job, tied together with string and tape, hacked-up to hopefully cope with the situation till the Minister in Charge has moved on, and all nicely packaged in shiny paper, presented to look like another marvel of Thai engineering.

But if the four power lines to Samui were engines on a plane, would you want to fly in it?

R

SEE: http://www.thaivisa....age__hl__+200mw

Edited by robsamui

ps - just noticed the last line attributable to Padung Bandongsilp, deputy governor.

"Then in 1995, the PEA set up its first circuit producing 115KV, before setting up a second circuit and building two substations, which have provided a reliable supply to Samui."

I take it that he isn't resident on Samui, then?

Grin

R

• Like 2

And what happened this morning..............................power cut!!mad.gif

They are upgrading thi hi-power lines at the roads, to keep up with the coming power supply. There may be many more hald day power cuts, before they have finished the job thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

They are upgrading thi hi-power lines at the roads, to keep up with the coming power supply. There may be many more hald day power cuts, before they have finished the job thumbsup.gif

You mean suspended from poles above the roads by bits of string and tape? The entire power supply to Samui up in the air and tied together with tape, all around the island?

More half-day power cuts?

Again? Still? For a change?

For another month? Again - still?

And then they have to connect the Swedish( thanks Moley) power cable, that will cut the power to Samui for another week?

I love this country like an old and faded teddy - and Samui is the isle in the sceptered gem. (Apologies to Shakespeare.)

R

Edited by robsamui

This royal catch of tourists, this coconut isle,

This earth of discarded Tesco bags, this infill of marsh and mountain,

This other Eden, demi-paradise,

This fortress milked by Surat Thani for herself

Against infection and the beeps of taxis.

This happy breed of farangs, this teensy little world,

This precious stone set in the silver sea full of garbage at high tide,

Which serves it in the office of a wall against the law on the mainland.

This royal throne of islanders, this scepte'rd isle.

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this Samui.

Probably "King Richard II", Act 2 scene 1 or something.

"Gonna buy a generator and a big catapult."

Probably me . . . act 3 scene 99.

penguin-002.gifpenguin-002.gifpenguin-002.gifpenguin-002.gif

Edited by robsamui

They are upgrading thi hi-power lines at the roads, to keep up with the coming power supply. There may be many more half day power cuts, before they have finished the job thumbsup.gif

You mean suspended from poles above the roads by bits of string and tape? The entire power supply to Samui up in the air and tied together with tape, all around the island?

And then they have to connect the Swedish( thanks Moley) power cable, that will cut the power to Samui for another week?...

Something like that, however I believe the cable they are rolling out in Maenam Bay now comes from Norway (hopefully without Trolls inside)whistling.gif

post-122720-0-79602400-1360681277_thumb.

• Like 2

Something like that, however I believe the cable they are rolling out in Maenam Bay now comes from Norway (hopefully without Trolls inside)whistling.gif

Well done KhunPer. I wondered what that boat was doing out there in the bay. thumbsup.gif

I was going to ask jimmy to get his telephoto lens on it. (My Micky Mouse camera would make it look like a smudge on the screen sad.png )

• Like 1

Well done KhunPer. I wondered what that boat was doing out there in the bay. thumbsup.gif

I was going to ask jimmy to get his telephoto lens on it. (My Micky Mouse camera would make it look like a smudge on the screen sad.png )

Ah!!! I saw that boat the other day... it did not occur to me that is what they were doing..... thumbsup.gif ..... yes !!!! well done KhunPhur!!! .... Saved me from running down there!!! wink.png

Some of Maenam was out of power yesterday (not mine) but perhaps I'll be cut off next time! w00t.gif

They are upgrading thi hi-power lines at the roads, to keep up with the coming power supply. There may be many more half day power cuts, before they have finished the job thumbsup.gif

And then they have to connect the Swedish( thanks Moley) power cable, that will cut the power to Samui for another week?...

Who cares where the cable comes from.....I only care if it works!

They've also got party tents.... whistling.gifbiggrin.png

Actually under there is probably where the connection will be made.... thumbsup.gif

Hmmm High voltage cable going into a trench filled with water.

I hope that they have a lot of good quality, waterproof electricians tape when they stick the two cable ends together thumbsup.gif

Stringing the new lines near Soi 2 Maenam.... this was a week or so ago, they are making their way along the ring road......

So would anyone do this job will the electric was turned on? blink.png

2013-01-30-247.jpg

The power is still on while they run the new lines. If not sure just stop and ask them. You will see insulation blankets orange colour covering some points as they cross.

Stringing the new lines near Soi 2 Maenam.... this was a week or so ago, they are making their way along the ring road......

So would anyone do this job will the electric was turned on? blink.png

2013-01-30-247.jpg

The power is still on while they run the new lines. If not sure just stop and ask them. You will see insulation blankets orange colour covering some points as they cross.

Yes they can work on live wires with the insulating blankets & protective gear.

Well I won't volunteer to check out the safety of the jackets ....wink.png but you guys can! tongue.png

Here is what the pipe the line will be going into, I am sure the Norwegian engineers are keeping an eye on it all... this goes through to where the concrete section is ...

maenam%2520beach%2520%2520Feb%252015%252C%25202556%2520BE%25203-46%2520PM.jpg

The entrance!

maenam%2520beach%2520%2520Feb%252015%252C%25202556%2520BE%25203-47%2520PM.jpg

The excavator... and cable boat!

maenam%2520beach%2520%2520Feb%252015%252C%25202556%2520BE%25203-44%2520PM.jpg

Guys just waiting !!

maenam%2520beach%2520%2520Feb%252015%252C%25202556%2520BE%25203-049.jpg

There was a camera crew down there too... perhaps local news tonight ?