?holiday In Koh Samui. What To Do/see? Advice Please.

Pormax

Hoping to arrange a holiday with my Thai wife and 15 year old neice to Koh Samui in March.

Some info help from those who either live there or have visited would be appreciated

We live in Buriram and will have to go from Bangkok then fly to the island.

Have heard very nice things about the clean beaches and clear water but is there other places of interests (shows etc) to see beside the normal temples.

I am trawling the internet re hotels and find that it is quite expensive. The problems with the internet is they tell you what you want to hear and this can sound great until you actually get there. I don't want to have to pay out too much but I do like my comfort especially a mattress that does not feel like concrete. Will not have transport there, so do not want to be too far away from the beach or nightlife.

Any recommendations of what hotels to look at on the internet, will need either a family room or two rooms preferably together.

The way Thailand works I know to my cost that it is much cheaper to book on the internet as for some unexplainable reason the charges are considerably higher if you book direct or walk in off the street, as I found out when I went down to Pattaya earlier this month.

Any help appreciated.

Hi. Personally I like chong moeng as it's got one of the nicest beaches on the island and not too far from the 'action' of chaweng for the odd night out. Chaweng has become far too touristy for me. I've never had a problem staying at the White house hotel in chong moeng. Check out the angthong marine national park for a good day out. Have a good trip!

Hoping to arrange a holiday with my Thai wife and 15 year old neice to Koh Samui in March.

Some info help from those who either live there or have visited would be appreciated

We live in Buriram and will have to go from Bangkok then fly to the island.

Have heard very nice things about the clean beaches and clear water but is there other places of interests (shows etc) to see beside the normal temples.

I am trawling the internet re hotels and find that it is quite expensive. The problems with the internet is they tell you what you want to hear and this can sound great until you actually get there. I don't want to have to pay out too much but I do like my comfort especially a mattress that does not feel like concrete. Will not have transport there, so do not want to be too far away from the beach or nightlife.

Any recommendations of what hotels to look at on the internet, will need either a family room or two rooms preferably together.

The way Thailand works I know to my cost that it is much cheaper to book on the internet as for some unexplainable reason the charges are considerably higher if you book direct or walk in off the street, as I found out when I went down to Pattaya earlier this month.

Any help appreciated.

I usually stay at one of the three or so places at Crystal Beach like crystal beach resort or tongtakian. Very nice water and smaller but less busy beach. Close to lamai and chawang. I drive everywhere though I can imagine taking taxis night be a pain and expensive from there if you are going several times a day though. They have some small restaurants, clean rooms and quite cheap for beachfront and a good ambiance.

Even cheaper is Mae nam but I don't really like spending too long out there. It can get a bit boring and a bit to drive or taxi.

Lamai and chawang have bars nightlife restaurants and fun. Fishermans is also nice for laid back nightlife.

For fun the beach club on the west coast Nikki beach can be great even for a day trip. Should be ok for your neice as long as it is not during a day time party.

Definitely check out the zoo on top of the mountain towards the west of the island, very nice to feed 15-20 deer with food !

• Like 2

You might like to look up the Buddy hotel in Lamai? It's in a good location where you can walk to the beach/shops ect, or grab a baht truck round the island. Prices were resonable last time I checked in person, but you might get a good deal online? A well travelled friend of mine stayed there a couple of years ago and he loved it. You can also rent a jeep pretty cheap just up the road from there.

I almost forgot... There is a vegatarian restaraunt/hotel/spa accross the road from Buddys hotel that was once listed in the top 10 restaraunts in the world, that has excellent food and affordable prices.

Edited by Amusements

I recommend you snorkling daytrip to Ko Nangyuan http://www.lomprayah.com/E/packagetour.htm

and/or

Angthong National Park

http://www.lomprayah.com/E/packagetour_ang.html

I'm able to get a price of only 1800 bt with catamaran to Nang Yuan. I think I only paid 1500 to national park.

I got the number to the sales lady who works at Lompraya and able to get the "Thai price".

Thanks for the replies, advice and suggestions.

Not a snorkelling family so it looks limited to one National Park or the zoo.

Regarding flights I can get return flights with Nok Air into Samui for 14.000B with taxes for the 3 of us so that is not a problem, as one said Bangkok Airways is double the price.

Looked at 'Buddy's Hotel' and too expensive seeing that I will have to book two rooms. Will do a little researh on the other suggestions.

Any other assistance would be welcome.

There's a whole lot more to do than the National Park and Zoo!!! thumbsup.gif

Take a boo at the Photos of the islands in the link above part of the this forum!!!!..... , that should give you some ideas.... waterfalls, etc....Jungle tours, etc etc. ...... even a day trip to Koh Phengan is interesting.... Lomprayah and Grandsea Adventures tours do that! (other companies too I think! )

Koh Taen was another good suggestion, peace and quite for a day.... but then there are many beaches around the island, if you want to get away from the crowds for a while! wai2.gif

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

What is your budget per night for the two rooms?

2,000 to 3,000B per night.

I know I could get family room for 3 people but do like the privacy with the wife.

The othe thing with a young neice, would prefer her to be in the next room for safety reasons if cannot find a bungalow with 2 bedrooms.

Today I took a bunch of older "Canuck" tourists (7 in total ) around the island, we stopped at a number of beaches...

They are staying in Lamai, we headed to Chawang beaches both still have fairly rough seas... we went on to Choeng Mon and then Bophut, Maenam and Ban Tai..... All much calmer....seas when you hit the north end of Samui (But that will all change soon and all will be calm again! ) thumbsup.gif

But their favorite beach and was the busiest too, was Choeng Mon, much to my surprise as personally I think it toooooo busy!!! whistling.gifw00t.gif .... But it sure seems to the be one of more popular beaches! (if you like crowds, jet ski's and beach vendors!)

It comes down to different stokes for different folks!

IMG_6195.JPGAll Choeng Mon.... IMG_6156.JPG far end is quieter! IMG_6176.JPG

I am slowly compiling images of all the main beaches around Samui, hope to post in the Images section, soon! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Last time I spent a night in ChoengMon was 10 years ago, looked like the last photo.

Ohh, and there was a fire on the Island in he last photo, took out the only restaurant there.

Fire brigade came and could only watch as it burned down.

You want an empty beach?

Plai Laem, just two minutes drive from Choengmon and ten from Chaweng.

No beach sellers, no tourists, no anything but beautiful views and tranquility. (Clean water too).

Sorry TE, I hope these pics don't bring the hoards to your favourite spot. thumbsup.gif

post-22832-0-37192400-1361254250_thumb.jpost-22832-0-86628300-1361254274_thumb.jpost-22832-0-94606100-1361254290_thumb.j

• Like 1

You want an empty beach?

Plai Laem, just two minutes drive from Choengmon and ten from Chaweng.

No beach sellers, no tourists, no anything but beautiful views and tranquility. (Clean water too).

Sorry TE, I hope these pics don't bring the hoards to your favourite spot. thumbsup.gif

post-22832-0-37192400-1361254250_thumb.jpost-22832-0-86628300-1361254274_thumb.jpost-22832-0-94606100-1361254290_thumb.j

Aaargghhhh sad.png (and no more black moon parties smile.png )

• Like 2