Beware Air Asia Flights

oldsailor35

Recently took a flight Surtthani-Singapore via KL. Noted that i would have one hour ten mins in KL between flights. AA advise to leave 1 hour between flights or before check in. On arrival at KL. flight a few mins late. After "three day camel ride" from aircraft to onward check in i was held up by passenger with book in problem in front of me. Then told "Sorry Sir" flight closed 5 mins. So i lost our seats and had to pay for 2 more! I was told later that this fight was delayed 15 min boarding..........................

BEWARE AIR ASIA

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP - could you not check your bags all the way through to SIN? Seems a bit odd even for an LCC to be unable to through check your bags on their metal.

EDIT: "FlyTHRU" as Air Asia like to call it, applies to itineraries booked under the one ticket. URT-SIN isn't available via the Air Asia website and requires 2 seperate bookings. Alas, given that there are numerous flights KUL-SIN after the arrival of the URT flight Air Asia isn't really "obliged" to do anything.

A 90 minute cut off time also applies to connecting flights.

Edited by GrantSmith

AirAsia has an insurance scheme designed for these types of occurrences. Only a few dollars, if I remember rightly one must UNTICK the box if you want to take the chance that everything will go smoothly.

I'm not defending their actions but most all low cost carriers have the same 'missed flight' policy. BUT have the insurance option.

Edited by bdenner

Which Air Asia you have your beef with?

The 'original', the Malaysian, flightnumbers with AK

or

Thai Air Asia (FD)

Indonesian Air Asia (QZ)

Philippines Air Asia (PQ)

Japan Air Asia (JW)

Do you call a KL Number for the callcenter? Or the number in Bangkok?

I try to fly only 'real' Air Asia flights, but not the Thai/Indonesian/Philippines Air Asia flights.

Edited by noob7

The Air Asia booking website, is set up for booking mistakes ! One would think that it would include a warning that there is not enough time to connect. But NO, this is something that is completely ignored. Why ? i am sure that it creates extra revenue .

Edited by oldsailor35
  • Like 2

The Air Asia booking website, is set up for booking mistakes ! One would think that it would include a warning that there is not enough time to connect. But NO, this is something that is completely ignored. Why ? i am sure that it creates extra revenue .

There is a reason that low cost carriers *are* low-cost carriers. Think of it as a flying bus service (God knows the KLCCT departure lounge looks like one) and you might be happier with Air Asia - personally, other than the odd delay, I've had an excellent run with budget airlines. Compare that to Garuda (ok, ok - they are STILL a 'full service' airline ..) where I sat around at Sydney Airport for 5 hours waiting for a flight that was supposed to depart at 11am. Normally wouldn't have been a huge deal, but I had to meet my Thai GF at Denpasar Airport : she stood in the same spot outside Customs for 3 solid hours waiting for me. Moral of the story - never rely on ANY airline to get you to your destination at the appointed time. It's a crapshoot, and we are all just one volcano away from sleeping at some Godforsaken airport en route to the place we really want to be. Think happy thoughts.

Anyone who wants an alternative flight from KL can always fly Thai or Malaysia, but who wants to spend that sort of money on an hour-long flight ? It can have its moments though - on a Business Class Garuda flight between Denpasar and Jakarta, I was one of just 3 passengers in the front of the plane, and the only one not wearing a suit. The FAs kept offering me food and alcohol to the point where it all got a little silly, but it was still a welcome change from the joys of Cattle Class.

• Like 1

I like them. I have booked many flights and have had no problems. If you turn up late you will have a problem. If your bag is too heavy you will have a problem. Turn up on time with the correct paid for baggage and no problem.

Pay full price and get the benefits, pay a promotional price and live with it

And if Air Asia turn up late you have a problem. When they don't turn up for "operational reasons" you have a problem. When they cancel your flight you have a problem.

It doesn't have to be your fault to have a problem with them.

• Like 2

I refuse to travel with Air Asia now, too many bad experiences with them, it has pushed me to my limit, so now I just won't book with them.

Roamer

'If anyone tries to tell me that AA don't take every opportunity to screw you over I will say your full of bs and one day you'll get your come uppance.'

You summed up my thoughts exactly.

Air Asia show no regard for their customers. My most recent dispute with them, I call it a dispute but their live chat would not even talk about it and the customer service tel line the same, I would have had more joy talking to a brick wall. Air Asia would not let me change the date of my flights.

I was happy to pay a bit extra and change the dates, plenty of time for them to do it and make some extra money and keep me semi happy, but no they are deaf to their customers, I agree they just want to screw you out of your cash if they get the smallest chance. I 've had it with them, after sending there way thousands of dollars over the years

I get no respect as a customer, I don't won't to deal with a business that I support but gives nothing back to me and treats me like dirt. Sums up a lot of different large companies but Air Asia is the poster child for this type of company.

I travel a lot in Asia both for work & leisure - last month for example I had 10 flights messing around on my time off, I totally refuse to use Air Asia - I hate their website, their so called offers and their attitude. I happily pay extra to proper airlines and get decent service.

If they are cheap on customer service do you think they are generous on maintenance costs?

• Like 1

Ever tried to book from somewhere in Thailand to Singapore via KL?

You have to book 2 flights, it's your own risk, if you want the next one, leaving in 75 minutes, after your planed arrival!

You need to go through immigration, and (sometimes) to pick up your luggage.

Air Asia, in special flights to KL are mostly always late.

You have to check in again, clear immigration again, and that is the window, you have to take care of.

Actually, in case you try to book this connection at a Air Asia Ticket counter, they will tell you, probably, that you need minimum 3h time in KL. Or they can't sell the ticket.

Friends of mine had this trouble, re-booking their tickets from Phuket to Bali to Phuket via KL to Bali.

The (Bangkok) Call center didn't accept a 2.30transit time, because it isn't a transit time. Also they didn't offer 'fly-throu'.

So they had over 3h waiting time in KL LCCT. But they got their flights, all the luggage came with, and no problems with immigration or check inn

I have nothing but excellent experience with AA. But I do triple check my online booking ( click or just not click check boxes) , allow enough time for connecting flights etc.

But you can always opt for Thai Airways first class, see if they are anything better.

Not true! Thai Airways isn't offering first to all destinations. Unluckily. whistling.gif

My point is , not that it is'nt my own fault, but Air Asia take the money, knowing full well that the 'contract' cannot be honoured. Then just push you aside..................its too easy. They could have a warning built into their booking website that says "Sorry, not enough time try another connecting flight" but 'no' they re going to sell that seat under any circumstances. And in my opinion this is dishonest trading. Good luck to all you "i am smart" ones in here, your turn will come !

Edited by oldsailor35
  • Like 2

AirAsia is not only a low-cost carrier but more significantly it is a point-to-point carrier. Even connecting with flights on their own network, the onus is on the passenger to consider the layover times, baggage transfers, terminal changes, etc.. The terms and conditions that your agree to when you check the box on the very first fight selection page (and subsequently makes up two pages of your ticket and contract of carriage) indicates that you are aware what type of carrier they are and accept all the risks. If you treat them the same way as a full-fare carrier that is also a networked carrier, then that is hardly AirAsia's problem.

• Like 1

Sorry to say this oldsailor35 but it is unfortunately your fault, as the URT-SIN is not bookable directly via the Air Asia website, you have to make 2 seperate bookings for this to work out, hence no "warning" would flash up...

I hate Air Asia as much as the next farang (my reasons are completely different in respect to missing flights - but service orientated nonetheless)

And as NanLaew said... You tick the box to accept the T&C - good luck in fighting it....

And as for scotinsiam's comment regarding Air Asia's maintenance - can't say I've seen any of their aircraft fall out of the sky recently...

I am not judging on exactly what happened in the initial post - but I do feel that Air Asia should do more for customers who make an honest effort to make their flight - maybe charge a USD 100 fee to rebook on a later flight as long as they show up within 1-2 hours of original departure but to force the repurchase a new ticket seems a bit harsh. It does leave the impression that making a profit at all costs is more important than the customer.

100 Dollar = 3.000.- Baht, most flights on AA cost that approximately anyway in the area, not much to gain with that possibility.rolleyes.gif

I have no problem with AA, just read their terms and what they are announcing, than you will not make, what the OP did in the first place.whistling.gif

Regarding Domestic flights in TH, if the prices are similar, I prefer, Nok Air and even Orient Thai. tongue.png

AirAsia is not only a low-cost carrier but more significantly it is a point-to-point carrier. Even connecting with flights on their own network, the onus is on the passenger to consider the layover times, baggage transfers, terminal changes, etc.. The terms and conditions that your agree to when you check the box on the very first fight selection page (and subsequently makes up two pages of your ticket and contract of carriage) indicates that you are aware what type of carrier they are and accept all the risks. If you treat them the same way as a full-fare carrier that is also a networked carrier, then that is hardly AirAsia's problem.

Your only highlighting on one part of their operation where you can lay some blame on the customer. Point to Point carrier, OK 5 hours should be enough then ? Not if you're someone I know who was booked on their Penang> Hong Kong route they are now cancelling who has an onward connection he can't now meet. No doubt one of thousands. AA's responsibility ? A refund and that's it. Ditto the Air Asia X routes from Europe.

When they cancelled Bangkok-Langkawi route the first many people knew of it was when they turned up at the airport.

Your only highlighting on one part of their operation wherethey you can lay some blame on the customer. Point to Point carrier, OK 5 hours should be enough then ? Not if you're someone I know who was booked on their Penang> Hong Kong route they are now cancelling who has an onward connection he can't now meet. No doubt one of thousands. AA's responsibility ? A refund and that's it. Ditto the Air Asia X routes from Europe.

When they cancelled Bangkok-Langkawi route the first many people knew of it was when they turned up at the airport.

As is often said, "If you cannot afford travel insurance, you cannot afford to travel".

If you do not insure, you pay your money and take your chances.

My point is , not that it is'nt my own fault, but Air Asia take the money, knowing full well that the 'contract' cannot be honoured. Then just push you aside..................its too easy. They could have a warning built into their booking website that says "Sorry, not enough time try another connecting flight" but 'no' they re going to sell that seat under any circumstances. And in my opinion this is dishonest trading. Good luck to all you "i am smart" ones in here, your turn will come !

not if they dont fly air asia

Edited by candypants

Your only highlighting on one part of their operation wherethey you can lay some blame on the customer. Point to Point carrier, OK 5 hours should be enough then ? Not if you're someone I know who was booked on their Penang> Hong Kong route they are now cancelling who has an onward connection he can't now meet. No doubt one of thousands. AA's responsibility ? A refund and that's it. Ditto the Air Asia X routes from Europe.

When they cancelled Bangkok-Langkawi route the first many people knew of it was when they turned up at the airport..

As is often said, "If you cannot afford travel insurance, you cannot afford to travel".

If you do not insure, you pay your money and take your chances.

12. I have a connecting flight on another airline in Hong Kong / Penang. What are the options available?

Please contact your respective airlines directly to inform and make further arrangements.

13.Will AA provide compensation for my missed tours, connecting flights, cancellation for hotel bookings or any other of pocket expenses incurred due to this cancellation?

No. Please contact your travel insurance provider for assistance regarding the same.

A

So you contact your travel insurer to be told its not a missed connection because you haven't yet departed and because it's something that you know about before you depart it won't be covered.

I have tea bags that have less holes than most travel insurance policies.

Edited by roamer
  • Like 1

Off topic I know but will relay the airline story.

Couple of years ago a friend of mine was flying from Brisbane to London via Tokyo. This was a the time that bloody big volcanic ash hit Europe and he was informed his flight from Tokyo to UK had been cancelled.

So he contacts the Airline and insurance company, both the same answer.

He can still fly to Tokyo so no refund. If he cancells he loses x amount. So his options were to lose the lot or fly to Tokyo for a holiday instead of his brother's birthday in the UK.

How strange, same airline all the way but wouldn't refund his booking as he could make it to Tokyo and they hadn't cancelled that part of the trip.