Living In Thailand

homeownership

Like Rene123, I enjoy my own combination of time in Thailand / world.

I doubt I will stay here completely through the year as there is business travel and things that piqué my interests in this region plus a clear advantage on staying on the move keeps one from being frustrated to the point of no return and being able to appreciate all things in Thailand.

I call Chiang Mai home, I have regular restaurants and friends to catch up with when I am in Chiang Mai.

I also use a few different places for different things in life to keep a balance

Chiang Mai - resting and relaxing spot; laugh with the locals about everyday life ; enjoy eating KFC and its Home

Japan - Enjoying the orderliness of life and how everything is packaged so beautifully. New techie gadgets

Singapore - when i need a dose of efficiency and a reminder why I don't need a high cost of living to be happy

China - business and work; cultural immersion and feeling the buzz of people on the move

Hong Kong - dim sum and XO sauce

Korea - girls with the most stunning looks along gangnam avenue that make the Thai hi-so look like kids....hahaha and then reminded of the costs to keep them this way "ouch" !

USA - when I need to shop on amazon and buy my required 3 polo tee shirts for the year. Buy cheap apple products

Laos - when I am thinking of an alternative to Chiang Mai

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not many young guys here(i.e. under age 50). When you live in Thailand it's nothing but old farang guys and their pensions. Imagine what it's like to be in your 20's and living here like I was some time ago. It's quite isolating unless you are in with the English teaching crowd.

Not many young guys here(i.e. under age 50). When you live in Thailand it's nothing but old farang guys and their pensions. Imagine what it's like to be in your 20's and living here like I was some time ago. It's quite isolating unless you are in with the English teaching crowd.

I started off in my early 20’s living in Bangkok. That was in the mid 1970’s and I am still here. I don’t remember feeling isolated at all. It was 36 or 37 years ago so I guess my memory could be a little cloudy.wink.png

If those are my only two choices, I'm moving to Uzbekistan. ;)

• Like 2

Rubbish.

There's hordes of younger Westerners here. You just have to know where to go. One is only isolated if one chooses to be.

Rubbish.

There's hordes of younger Westerners here. You just have to know where to go. One is only isolated if one chooses to be.

Absolutely right. We are a young Farang couple that lived in Thailand for three years. Had many groups of Farang couple and single young Farang friends. Many were freelancers or independently wealthy. But it is more difficult outside of bigger cities, we found it easiest in Samui and Bangkok.

Thailand has a lot to offer in terms of lifestyle beyond bars and lots of people who make money enjoy the lifestyle here and aren't necessarily looking for Thai girls or drinks. But you need to find hobby groups like tennis, cycling, rock climbing thai boxing, language and other interests to meet less weird people.

• Like 2

Rubbish.

Absolutely right. We are a young Farang couple that lived in Thailand for three years. Had many groups of Farang couple and single young Farang friends. Many were freelancers or independently wealthy. But it is more difficult outside of bigger cities, we found it easiest in Samui and Bangkok.

Thailand has a lot to offer in terms of lifestyle beyond bars and lots of people who make money enjoy the lifestyle here and aren't necessarily looking for Thai girls or drinks. But you need to find hobby groups like tennis, cycling, rock climbing thai boxing, language and other interests to meet less weird people.

I was actually hoping for something that combined the terror of rock climbing with the savagery of muay thai. but it's astounding just how soft some Farang are a hundred metres up a vertical incline. Pussies. I'm hoping for better in Uzbekistan.

And your hobbies are ?

OP or me? I listed some of my hobbies above. I also read a lot, fish, crossfit, ski, play squash, travel, play guitar and pretend to be on master chef because I love food. My main hobby is spending time with my daughter now, hopefully she will pick up a few of those.

My point was simply to the OP that if he has hobbies you can find like minded people and friends that way. It is hard to make good connections unless you have something in common.

• Like 1

Rubbish.

I was actually hoping for something that combined the terror of rock climbing with the savagery of muay thai. but it's astounding just how soft some Farang are a hundred metres up a vertical incline. Pussies. I'm hoping for better in Uzbekistan.

I'm not sure what that means but I don't do outdoor climbing just indoor rope climbing and bouldering. I'm not very advanced but it works out your arms and technique. 20 meters is enough for endurance.

Muay Thai is an excellent form of exercise. Not just to fight. Actual fighting and you have already lost the battle in my opinion. But great weight losing tool and fun.