What's An Alternative To Burning Movies To Dvd?

giddyup

At present, after I download movies from the internet, I burn them to a DVD-RW and then watch them through my Philips DVD player. This method works well except that the DVD-RW's have a finite lifespan and need replacing every so often. I have tried transferring the movies onto a flashdrive and then playing either through the DVD player or the TV, but this method won't work as the format isn't recognised by either. What other alternatives do I have?

There are devices as wd-tv that play those films to your tv. They even support formats like divx. Some you hook up with a usb harddisk and others read it straight from your computer through network.

Im now not home but in Pattaya, so i haven't got access to my computer. I can post some links later on.

There are devices as wd-tv that play those films to your tv. They even support formats like divx. Some you hook up with a usb harddisk and others read it straight from your computer through network.

Im now not home but in Pattaya, so i haven't got access to my computer. I can post some links later on.

OK, thanks.

I bought a cheap media player from China on the Alibaba website for 600 baht (after using their coupon), and it plays everything i have downloaded. I experimented with a few dvd players here in Thailand, but ended up taking them all back because they didn't play MP4. I did look at media players in Thailand and they cost several thousand baht, but they do have more features. The player i have is the size of a cigarette case, so i can take it around with me and play in hotel rooms. The other option you have is to hook your computer to the tv, but you won't have a remote.

I bought a cheap media player from China on the Alibaba website for 600 baht (after using their coupon), and it plays everything i have downloaded. I experimented with a few dvd players here in Thailand, but ended up taking them all back because they didn't play MP4. I did look at media players in Thailand and they cost several thousand baht, but they do have more features. The player i have is the size of a cigarette case, so i can take it around with me and play in hotel rooms. The other option you have is to hook your computer to the tv, but you won't have a remote.

That sounds like a cheap option. Does your media player use a remote? BTW, what brand is it, I'll do a search.

Edited by giddyup

That sounds like a cheap option. Does your media player use a remote?

media player comes with remote control and leads to hook up to the tv.

There are big storage devices like My Book or My Passport that I use. My 2 TB My Book holds 165 downloaded movies. I connect it through a DVD player connected to my TV to watch the movies. As the names suggest the My Book is the size of a hardback novel and the My Passport around the size of a Galaxy Note.

That sounds like a cheap option. Does your media player use a remote?

media player comes with remote control and leads to hook up to the tv.

Does it have a brand name or do you have a link to one on Ali Baba?

no brand, but you are looking for something like this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-Full-HD-Media-player-1080P-Mini-Multi-Media-Player-with-Remote-Control-HDMI-Output-W/735365421.html

If you type 'media player' into the alibaba search, you will find there are many models. All of them will play pretty much any file format you are likely to download. the only thing to look out for is the video outpput: some have hdmi output and some don't.

+1

Got one and I love it. Plays nearly anything i throw at it. Hd 1080p

No problem. Remote control too.

Has wifi connection so it can download cover photos for your movies. Turn subtitles on or off. Internet on your TV.

So small you can take it anywhere and plug into a TV via red, yellow white rca plugs or hdmi cable.

Think it's worth 3000 to 4000 baht. Can't remember exactly.

Burning to DVD is so old school. Why bother.

I've not burnt a DVD for years. At home I use a PC connected to the TV, plays anything of course and runs Skype for Wifey (why she wants to see me on a 48" TV I don't know).

On the move I used to use an external hard drive box with a built in media player, cost about 500 Baht (without drive) from Zeer, I now plug my PC into hotel TVs as most have flat screens with HDMI etc.

• Like 1

I've not burnt a DVD for years. At home I use a PC connected to the TV, plays anything of course and runs Skype for Wifey (why she wants to see me on a 48" TV I don't know).

On the move I used to use an external hard drive box with a built in media player, cost about 500 Baht (without drive) from Zeer, I now plug my PC into hotel TVs as most have flat screens with HDMI etc.

It' not really convenient for me to connect my laptop to my TV as It's in another room. Where did you buy your media player and when you say it doesn't have a drive, wha\at does that mean? Excuse my lack of technology know-how.

+1

Has wifi connection so it can download cover photos for your movies. Turn subtitles on or off. Internet on your TV.

So small you can take it anywhere and plug into a TV via red, yellow white rca plugs or hdmi cable.

What brand is it and where did you buy it?

no brand, but you are looking for something like this:

http://www.aliexpres.../735365421.html

If you type 'media player' into the alibaba search, you will find there are many models. All of them will play pretty much any file format you are likely to download. the only thing to look out for is the video outpput: some have hdmi output and some don't.

What kind of capacity do these have, ie how many movies can you fit on it? Also, how do you transfer movie files to it? I see they have a USB port but no cables are supplied on any I've seen, only cables to connect to the TV.

Edited by giddyup

It' not really convenient for me to connect my laptop to my TV as It's in another room. Where did you buy your media player and when you say it doesn't have a drive, wha\at does that mean? Excuse my lack of technology know-how.

My media player came from Zeer, but the same beasts are available in Pantip and Fortune. My reference to 'no drive' was simply to note that the cost of 500 Baht or so did not include the hard disk itself (which goes in the box and serves as storage). The brand of mine by the way is D-Tech.

I also have a very small unit which uses SD cards or a USB stick, works pretty well. I bought that in India when caught out without my D-Tech unit in a hotel with a CRT TV, similar units should be available here.

+1

It's a WD TV Live.

Made by Western digital.

Can get them at Fortune or pantip.

I used to hook up an old PC to the TV but it couldn't handle 1080p..

Edited by eeeya

+1

It's a WD TV Live.

Made by Western digital

Great device. Plays absolutely everything except flv files. Spottily and pandora on it work great too.

Took over from my Apple TV though I miss iPad mirroring.

My media player came from Zeer, but the same beasts are available in Pantip and Fortune. My reference to 'no drive' was simply to note that the cost of 500 Baht or so did not include the hard disk itself (which goes in the box and serves as storage). The brand of mine by the way is D-Tech.

I also have a very small unit which uses SD cards or a USB stick, works pretty well. I bought that in India when caught out without my D-Tech unit in a hotel with a CRT TV, similar units should be available here.

Is it worth getting a Wi fi model?

I use the WD 1tb. Works great.

I also play directly from computer to Tv, over wifi, using samsung allshare.

All fine and really no need to burn anything, except for the car stereo....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ha ha, I despise it but I have to burn the odd cd for the car for a driving trip to koh chang.

There was only so much of the mrs Eagles cd I could take before I flicked it out the window.

• Like 1

Ha ha, I despise it but I have to burn the odd cd for the car for a driving trip to koh chang.

There was only so much of the mrs Eagles cd I could take before I flicked it out the window.

If you have a car stereo with a USB connection you can play 16GB of MP3, get you to the moon and back without hearing the same song twice.

I ordered this one from Ebay, $34 delivered from Hong Kong.

1---Support RM / RMVB (Real8/9/10) Video decoding to1080P (1920x1080)

2---Support H.264 (MKV,MOV,AVI) Decode to 1080P . WMV9/VC-1 To to 1080P

3---Da -rich video output interface, real digital HDMI1.3 , Component video Terminal YUV AV

4---Shutting the body skill in video mode supports a variety of OSD language (including English), support for external subtitle ssrt; while

enabling external subtitles zoom, move up or down, color transform; 5---“ Display control ” In various functions used to control the TV display modes and special effects, such as movie menu; A , Return B ,

Tracks C , Title select D , Zoom [Original, full-screen , 16: 9 , 4: 3 , moderate visible]; , E, playing mode [singles play, looping, random

play, all loop]; F , channel select [from the left and right channels, stereo]; G, title color [yellow, blue, original]; magazine "caption display"

turns on or off the external subtitles function and for implementation of zoom and the title's overall moves and other features of the different menu ;

6---Shutting the body skill in the memory play the memory currently playing; * "" Can be viewed in the video is playing, through browsing video;

7--- Unique music slide, you can play music while you browse pictures; play MP3 Music support LRC Format of synchronized lyrics , And Kala OK ;

8---Super photo browsing, selective amplification and super high pixel picture resolution;

9---Support video format: Real (RMVB / RM) (1920*1080 )H . 264 (MKV/MOV/AVI) )(1920*1080 ) MPEG1-2-4 ( DAT

/ VOB / AVi ) (1920*1080)(WMV9/VC-1)(1920*1080), H. 264 (AVI) DIVX(1920*1080)

10---Support audio format: MP3, WMA, APE / FLAC ( Lossless audio format ), OGG , AC3 , DTS, AAC , And so music format;

11---Support picture format: JPEG BMP GIF PNG Picture format, such as;

Archives management features to the folder and file to copy, delete and paste;

post-130068-0-30939600-1360808881_thumb.

It looks good but i don't know if the codecs that are there are enough. But for 34$ you cant really go wrong. The western digital ones are a lot more expensive and cheaper ones probably work too.

I'll give it a try, if it doesn't do the job I'll upgrade to something better like a WD.

It looks good but i don't know if the codecs that are there are enough. But for 34$ you cant really go wrong. The western digital ones are a lot more expensive and cheaper ones probably work too.

I'll give it a try, if it doesn't do the job I'll upgrade to something better like a WD.

The WD has several versions and generations. The best one and one I recommend is the WD HD live gen 3.

Also while newer blu ray and Tvs play flash drives they are being updated to scan for Cinevia which is an inaudiable frequency that shuts off the playback of downloaded movies within a few minutes on new movies. All big name brands will have it updated or installed within a year or so like LG, Samsung, Sony.

Off topic but figured I'd mention it in case someone reading was deciding on one of those keep that in mind. Got one for a family member and that issue came up.

i understand completely, i wish they made them portable.

Anyways, its good you are moving off dvds, just think of the amount of plastic etc you are no longr consumerism.

I always used my laptop connected to tv and home theatre, but I never realized what a hassle it was until i got media player.

Edited by candypants

• 2 weeks later...

Find some kind soul who has already downloaded tons of movies and TV series, buy him a few beers and copy all his stuff onto a portable HDD , add WD or Buffalo media player, you're good to go.

I already have more than 200 movies I've downloaded to DVD, at least 150 I'll never watch again, so I'm only interested in downloading for a one time watch, that's why I bought the media player. For $34 it works well, I just transfer a few movies onto a stick and then plug into the media player and bob's your uncle.

I still burn DVD ISOs as they have Thai (and other language) sub-titles along with the full DVD menu. Then I give them to Thai friends/colleagues.

For other media my TVs have a USB interface, supports NTFS and plays every format so I just use a 500 MB HDD - so no need for another box. The TV remote manages any files on the USB connection. One cool feature is that the TV remembers where you left off watching any/all files and gives you the option to begin there. I have no idea how it does that but it is very handy.

Edited by lomatopo