That D--Ned U.s. Social Security Site (Again)

IMA_FARANG

whistling.gif I am an American living here in Thailand,\Once again I find the need to communicate and recieve some Social Security forms needed for my U.S. tax return,

I can contact the Soucial Security URL at www.SSA.gov and i see it. However I can NOT get into any of the menu choices I need to get the forms I want.

This happened before, and someone on this forum gave me the name of a proxy site in the U.S. I subscribed to that for a few months and I was able to get the forms I needed from SSA by using that proxy service.

However I have since lost that proxy service and don't remember their name or URL.

Anyhow, what I apparemtly need is a reliable U.S. based proxy service that I can use to acess that Social Security URL.

For some silly reason it is possible to access www.ssa,gov but once there I cannot get into their menu to get the forms I need,

It workd from the U.S. but for whatever reason the blankety-blank Social Security blocks access into it's menu from Thailand.

As I said, a year or so ago I found a proxy service that was based in th U.S. and I was able to download forms from that Social Security URL.service in the U.S. As I recall the one I used a year or so ago was about $5 for a 3 month subscription.

Can anyone give me a website URL for any good, relatively inexpemsive proxy service in the U.S. I can use?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Here's a free VPN service (up to 500MB per month free) called Tunnel Bear. Link Gives a US and/or UK IP address. VPN would give you some encryption where a proxy service wouldn't.

I saw it recommended by another ThaiVisa member months and months back....signed up...easy enough...haven't really used it since I use StrongVPN. However, I clicked on my TunnelBear setup a few minutes ago to see if it still worked and it did.

Edited by Pib

If you want a SSA-1099, that is one issue. But if you just want blank forms, I have gotten every single govt form I have ever wanted by simply Googling it. One of the options always leads me to a PDF file I can simply download.

I'm not having problems using the SS site, and I'm not using a VPN to connect. As another poster suggested, it may be the browser you are using.

I think you are wrong to imply that 'the dam*ed SS web site is to blame. It seems to be a personal problem.

Edited by qdinthailand

Forms 1099s from SSA were mailed out on the 31 Jan. This means your form will not arrive here until around 21 Feb. I just received a 1099 from another gov't agency it was mailed on 20 Jan. You won't be able to apply for a duplicate form until 1 Mar.

Greg