Taxi Meters For Motorcycles (Moto Meters) Will They Work In Bangkok?

whosthat

I saw these a while back down on Thong Lor. Right before the huge flood came and drove the entire city to be refugees. After that I think the drivers who were using them left to go upcountry and fix their homes, and I'm not sure what finally happened.

Still, a great idea in my opinion. I personally have a strong aversion to being taken advantage of. Several years ago I used to take a motorcycle from President Park on Sukhumvit 24 down to the BTS at Phrom Pong. Normal fare was 10 baht. But at least 50% of the time I got hassled from the driver for 20 baht simply because I was a foreigner. Now, it isn't the 10 baht that bugged me so much, but the fact that I was being cheated. I became so angry over the injustice that I simply stopped using them for my morning commute. I'll happily pay more just to know I'm being treated fairly.

As for longer distances (sometimes the only option during heavy afternoon traffic), good luck negotiating if you don't already know the going rate and it doesn't happen to be one of the places that is posted on their boards. I got so sick of being over charged on these trips that I simply don't use them at all now for anything. Now I either walk or schedule my activities in such a way that I don't have to use them. Not a complete loss actually. Better for my waist line.

I suppose if they actually implement meters then I may start using motorcycle taxis again. I don't have a problem with the regular taxis because they have a meter, and although I get the odd guy who has a rigged meter or won't turn it on, I either don't take them or get out immediately once I realize the meter is flaky.

Don't really know what the drivers thought of the meters, but I can tell you that when I saw them in operation the motorcycle drivers that were there were showing them off, so I don't think they were unhappy with them.

I would say if you want the real answer to whether they will work though, you need to ask the Thais here in Bangkok. I think the foreigners here on this board make up a very small community, and are not really a good cross section of society. You'll probably get biased results if you just listen to the responses here. My guess is that if the meter manufacturer is willing to pay enough corruption, that it doesn't matter what the drivers or the public thinks. The drivers will be forced to buy them, the government ministers who approved the deal will get their cut, and nobody will really care what happens after that.

That is kind of the Thai way.

There are laws and then there are realities..

All taxi's (4 wheeled variety) are required by law to use the meter, and are also not allowed to refuse a fare. If you've ever spent time in Thailand, you would quickly understand what a joke that is, LOL.

However, those guys are model citizens compared to motorcycle taxi and songtheow gangs... It wouldn't matter what laws they might want to put in place for these groups - I doubt there would be too many police brave enough to even think about enforcing them....

There are laws and then there are realities..

All taxi's (4 wheeled variety) are required by law to use the meter, and are also not allowed to refuse a fare. If you've ever spent time in Thailand, you would quickly understand what a joke that is, LOL.

However, those guys are model citizens compared to motorcycle taxi and songtheow gangs... It wouldn't matter what laws they might want to put in place for these groups - I doubt there would be too many police brave enough to even think about enforcing them....

I concur on that assessment. Many of the "motorsai" look and behave like thugs. This has still to be tempered though. Where I lived before there was an old man, homeless, with a very old bike (247 k kms on the counter!) which would take me to work. All other bikers would charge 15 THB for that way but he asked 10 THB. I always paid him 15 THB nonetheless because if anybody, he needed the money more than others.

Leave them be they already are "orcanized" they don't need anyone else taking extra "contribution" for a useless piece of electronics. Long distance they cost about the same as a taxi but get you there quicker!

Spot the scam? Someone's brothe'r cousin has discovered these meters in China and has bee "given" the exclusive rights to sell them in Thailand.

Leave them be they already are "orcanized" they don't need anyone else taking extra "contribution" for a useless piece of electronics. Long distance they cost about the same as a taxi but get you there quicker!

Spot the scam? Someone's brothe'r cousin has discovered these meters in China and has bee "given" the exclusive rights to sell them in Thailand.

i hear you all thats why im asking would normal people (passengers) prefer the meters have you seen these things in bangkok im told they are already there

i hear you all thats why im asking would normal people (passengers) prefer the meters have you seen these things in bangkok im told they are already there

No offence, but you've obviously never spent any real time in Thailand, otherwise you'd understand the pointlessness of that question and any answer that would follow..

OK, let's stop beating around the bush. Motorcycles taxis are run by very powerful Mafia. They do what they want, period.

Any proposed meter scheme would only be accepted if it increased fares across the board, and would be summarily ditched again once they thought the general public had now been acclimatised to increased prices.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

No offence, but you've obviously never spent any real time in Thailand, otherwise you'd understand the pointlessness of that question and any answer that would follow..

OK, let's stop beating around the bush. Motorcycles taxis are run by very powerful Mafia. They do what they want, period.

Any proposed meter scheme would only be accepted if it increased fares across the board, and would be summarily ditched again once they thought the general public had now been acclimatised to increased prices.

thanks ive heard that about the bikes being run by the thai mafia so the government basically mandate them? or would the taxis drivers laugh at that?

You beat me to it! biggrin.png

Sorry about the typing whistling.gif

are you in bangkok and have you seen these things in use there im in the us and am invested in the co. that is supposedly making them they are based in bangkok and are supposed to be using them there now on a trial basis just looking for the truth thanks ps they are also starting some service called "YES" have you heard of that

are you in bangkok and have you seen these things in use there im in the us and am invested in the co. that is supposedly making them they are based in bangkok and are supposed to be using them there now on a trial basis just looking for the truth thanks ps they are also starting some service called "YES" have you heard of that

"NO" laugh.png