Thai Women Are At Risk Of Cervical Cancer And Breast Cancer

Jai Dee

The National Health Security Office indicated that Thai women are at risk of cervical cancer and breast cancer.

The National Health Security Office indicated that Thai women are at risk of cervical cancer and breast cancer, after research shows higher tendency for the diseases.

Secretary-general of the National Health Security Office, Dr. Sa-nuan Nittayarampong (สงวน นิตยารัมภ์พงศ์ ) revealed that the major problems facing Thai women aged between 15-45 years old are cervical cancer, breast cancer, HIV-AIDS, and diseases resulting from pregnancy.

He said that the statistics at the National Cancer Institute show that Thai women, especially those living in Bangkok, will suffer from cervical cancer and breast cancer more than in the past, while women living in Northeastern region will face liver cancer.

He said the office has arranged a health-check up process for cancer under the universal health care scheme to help reduce health-related expenses for the people and to control the spread of the disease.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 03 March 2006

Well, from what I hear - and my conversations with some Thai women back this up - most do not like to visit the gynecologist because it is "unthai". However, there seem to be a fair amount of bikini waxers in the city, so go figure.

:D I wonder if it is because there doesn't seem to be a history of preventative medicine? The stuff the UK is getting relatively good at now. Cervical screening, mammograms and healthy eating advice? Just a thought :o

I have to say I agree with this. I went to the ob/gyn last year for a checkup (one I hadn't seen before) and the nurse asked me what I was there for, I said, PAP smear, annual exam. She looked at me surprised and then the Dr came in and asked me what was wrong. I said again, PAP and exam and she asked me again, "So, there's nothing wrong?"

And this is very busy female ob/gyn.

There needs to be an attitude change and that will only come about when Thais start to openly discuss this issue. As in the west, it would be a great help if a few well known women were to stand up and champion the cause, go on TV, in the Press and talk about how they have had their tests and why they think it is important - Role Model for the rest of Thai women.

As it is they are too busey promoting vaccuous life styles and trying to keep themselves in the public eye for equally vaccuous reasons.