Yelllow Book

Capealava

I Applied for a Yellow book at Pattaya City Hall the beginning of Feb. Lady at City Hall was very picky about translation of my passport. Had to go back to translation twice for very minor errors. She said my Nationality was American not the United States of America that is clearly listed in my passport. Argued on that and she gave in. Now she want 4500 baht for the yellow book. It is obvious I am being extorted here for a simple Yellow Book. Anyone have any suggestions concerning this.?

• Like 1

Call the Tambien Baan office directly on 038 253 137 and ask for the manager to confirm the usual fee for supplying the Yellow Book. Once confirmed, mention that you have been misinformed that it is 4.5k baht and how can he/she help.

Need to be a bit subtle as management will usually protect staff as often they be will be a part of the corrupt payment supply chain

Edited by simple1

I applied for mine 2 weeks ago, she said it will be ready in about 2 weeks so will try Monday.

They are free as I understand, so she is after her share.

You made 2 visits to get translation right, my surname required 3 trips, image how happy I was about that.

It was a much larger issue to get it than I thought, I guess it is a valuable document to have.

Cheers

Yes my wife and I have been back to translation twice American mis-spelled and my surname also was not spelled the same on Marriage Cert and Passport.. We must be dealing with the same lady. Obviously I am not paying 4500 baht. The issue will gently be brought up. Good luck with yours. She mentioned 2 weeks for us also.

To ‘THEBOY” They needed a translation of my passport. Not sure if you are ‘American” but if you look at your passport the says The United States of America as nationality Clearly on your passport. Not ‘ American"

Up where I live they say falang can't get one.

You are misinformed.. Take your wife with you and tell them you wish to obtain a "tabien baan" - yellow book..... And ask them what demands they have.... But in quite a few amphues you need to have 1 year extensions of stay/VISA and clear proof of where you live.... Like you say "up here" (I live in Isaan) they do not generally give tabien baans to tourists like they probably do so easily down in Pattaya...

Glegolo

Please forgive my ignorance. What is a Yellow Book?

Yellow book is the same as your ladies blue book proof of Resistance but for a farang and at Ubon is free of charge. smile.png .

it's a book that's indeed hard to resist....

You are misinformed.. Take your wife with you and tell them you wish to obtain a "tabien baan" - yellow book..... And ask them what demands they have.... But in quite a few amphues you need to have 1 year extensions of stay/VISA and clear proof of where you live.... Like you say "up here" (I live in Isaan) they do not generally give tabien baans to tourists like they probably do so easily down in Pattaya...

Glegolo

Unfortunately even in Pattaya they will not give on a visa waiver - as I tried very hard with the boss lady last year. The best she would offer was with a 3 month visa then they would look at it....One year visa no problem. Did not mention any cost however but could tell she would rather not have to do it even though I have read of a number of people on here being successful.

Glegolo

Unfortunately even in Pattaya they will not give on a visa waiver - as I tried very hard with the boss lady last year. The best she would offer was with a 3 month visa then they would look at it....One year visa no problem. Did not mention any cost however but could tell she would rather not have to do it even though I have read of a number of people on here being successful.

I guess that is the way it is intended to be. The yellow book is a proof that you permanently reside at a certain location. People on a tourist visa or visa waiver are not considered to reside pemanently at any location in Thailand.

If the OP or his wife have a friendly cop that they know, bring him along when they go for the book. 4500 baht is Samui-style gouging!

Alternatives are to go where Raro got his, somewhere in Nongprue (?) but I guess it really depends on where the residential address you will be claiming is located and which Amphur has jurisdiction, Banglamung, Nongprue, Nah Jomtien, etc..

Edited by NanLaew

If the OP or his wife have a friendly cop that they know, bring him along when they go for the book. 4500 baht is Samui-style gouging!

Alternatives are to go where Raro got his, somewhere in Nongprue (?) but I guess it really depends on where the residential address you will be claiming is located and which Amphur has jurisdiction, Banglamung, Nongprue, Nah Jomtien, etc..

You indeed only can apply in the Amphur where your residence is located, but you can do what I did.

Went to the Amphur and asked for the requirements,

Was told that I needed a certificate of residence from my Embassy since one from the local immigration would not suffice.My passport had to be translated by a certified translator and then made official by the ministry of internal affairs in Bangkok and a few more stupid rules.

The next day I went to translate my passport at a translation office in Soi Post office Pattaya, took with me an unused certificate of residence that I had got from the local immigration to buy a car a few weeks earlier, and went back to the Amphur.

I was introduced to another clerck who looked at the papers provided, made a small interview, and told me to pick up the yellow book about 2 weeks later laugh.png

You indeed only can apply in the Amphur where your residence is located, but you can do what I did.

Was told that I needed a certificate of residence from my Embassy since one from the local immigration would not suffice.My passport had to be translated by a certified translator and then made official by the ministry of internal affairs in Bangkok and a few more stupid rules.

The next day I went to translate my passport at a translation office in Soi Post office Pattaya, took with me an unused certificate of residence that I had got from the local immigration to buy a car a few weeks earlier, and went back to the Amphur.

I was introduced to another clerck who looked at the papers provided, made a small interview, and told me to pick up the yellow book about 2 weeks later laugh.png

I live near Nongprue Offices, Banglamung wouldn't allow me to do it there, it must be done where you are residing.

At least that was what I was told but.......TIT

Could be worse. I beleive the Amphur in Nongbua Lamphu in Udon Thani swears blind that there is no such thing as a yellow book, never has been, never will be and runs any locally resident farangs out of the office.

Someone with some balls should get this Pattaya City Hall rip-off artist reported. The book is free; although I bought the Muang Udon Thani desk-jockey some beers when he popped round to 'verify' where I lived which was a week after he had issued the yellow book.

When I applied, I took my passport, locally certified translation thereof, wife, mother-in-law with their ID cards and the house blue book. It took a while as we were constantly shunted to the back of the queue (maybe we were in the "too much work" classification?) but eventually, after the gaffer returned a bit boozed up from a late lunch, he signed the needful and the book was issued for free.

I just remember, when I went to the Amphur the first time to inquire about the requirements I was told that I needed to bring three witnesses who could testify that I actually lived at that address and one of them was supposed to be the local Kamnan.

The next day there was no mention anymore about witnesses, however they had some questions with the legallity of the translations and certificate of residence provided, but a simple confirmation by myself that everything was allright and that they didn't need anything more according to Thai law was enough for them to agree and issue the book. laugh.png

• 1 month later...

Regarding to applying for a yellow book in Pattaya, would a Chanot for a condo owned my myself,

(1) be sufficient for the name translation to Thai?.

(2) Fullfill the requirements to Certify address? I have a Blue book for the condo we live in, and of course my name is not in it. I am on a extension of stay for retirement, 1 year.

I am married to a Thai but my Thai wife and daughter are not in this Blue book of mine as she has her own condo in her name.

Thanks for any help on this issue.

Regards BW.

Edited by bigwilly

Yellow Book update.

Thanks to simple1 for the phone number, my better half just spoke to the officer at City Hall. The requirements for me were given as,

1. Translation of Passport details page. in Thai.

2. Birth Certificate translated to Thai.

3.Letter to certify residence from Immigration.

4. 3X1 inch photos.

5. Photocopy of Chanot, and sale agreement from land office from when I bought the Condo.

6. 2 Thai witness', my wife is fine for one.

7.Copy of our Marriage Certificate translated toThai.

8.Copy of ID card and Tappien Bahn for the 2 Thai witness'

9. The Yellow book is free of charge.

I suppose conditons and requirements may vary from Amphur to Amphur. But I will give it a shot anyhow and keep all interested party's informed.

BW.

The yellow book is free of charge.

Got mine 2 weeks ago, absolutely free & also picked up my friends while I was there, no signing for it even.

Yes... but can you confirm WHERE you got it? This thread started with people being asked for 4500 baht at Pattaya City Hall with comments about free ones from the Nongbua Amphurs office.

Here's my questions:

1 - Anyone tried to get one from the Nong Pla Lai Amphurs office?

2 - Anyone done an address change on their yellow book?

3 - Did they edit the original yellow book or did they issue a new one?

Edited by NanLaew

A new address means you get removed from the yellow book and get entered into a another yellow book. The yellow book is connected to the house, not you, and lists all the foreigners who are officially residing at that address.

• Like 1