Divorce Thai Style

mijan24

A general question on divorce?

A friend married a young thai girl who he met in Pattays. Married up in a village in Issan registered the marriage at the Amphur and also registered the marriage at the Australian embassy in Bangkok.

The girl had a son from a previous marriage and steps were taken to adopt the boy, the new wife fell pregnant and had a second child here in Thailand.

Twelve months went by and they were off to Australia - immigration visa times did not suit so suddenly divorce (at the local amphur) car and furniture sold proceeds divided the friend then with mothers full support takes the new infant to live in Australia.

Within one month of exhusband and child departing she now applies for a tourist visa to visit Australia, is offered 6 months but will require a medical checkup so opts for the 3 month version (approved).

Questions -

1. Does he have to notify the Australian embassy of the divorce (signed by both partys at the local amphur)? or can they be divorced in Thailand but still married in Australia?

2. Can she legally travel to Australia on a tourist visa stating she is married and visiting her husband and son?

I started to understand you but lost it on the 2nd bit. This bit....

Twelve months went by and they were off to Australia - immigration visa times did not suit so suddenly divorce (at the local amphur) car and furniture sold proceeds divided the friend then with mothers full support takes the new infant to live in Australia.

Also the questions confuse me.

Anyway, its Friday arvo, Ive had enough thinking for 1 week, Im goin for a beer. Bye,.

Edited by krisb

"Twelve months went by and they were off to Australia - immigration visa times did not suit so suddenly divorce (at the local amphur) car and furniture sold proceeds divided the friend then with mothers full support takes the new infant to live in Australia."

I'm not the punctuation police but I can't decode what you are trying to say here when its one long run-on sentence.

Also the questions confuse me.

Anyway, its Friday arvo, Ive had enough thinking for 1 week, Im goin for a beer. Bye,.

Indeed the OP has to be more clear. I don't really see his exact problem because the OP asks the wrong questions. Please restate..

Hello,

I am sure the divorce is final once ist happend in Thaialnd, there is a 2 year time frame that she can still make a claim for assets ect here in Oz though. Once she gets here she may be able to try and get assistancefromf the government to stay. After all her child is now an Australian. This could open up a tin of worms for your mate. Maybe because she will only be on a tourist visa they might say go away. There is a whole net work in Oz to help so called poor disadvantaged migrant women.

I also can not see here getting a tourist visa with out a sponcer, so if your mate is thinking about that then he is a fool.

"Twelve months went by and they were off to Australia - immigration visa times did not suit so suddenly divorce (at the local amphur) car and furniture sold proceeds divided the friend then with mothers full support takes the new infant to live in Australia."

I'm not the punctuation police but I can't decode what you are trying to say here when its one long run-on sentence.

+1

Twelve months went by (husband was on a fly in flyout rotation) and they were off to Australia -ASAP (prior to xmas 2012 was the plan.

Married visa times (12months normal processing time for immigration to Oz did not suit so suddenly divorce (at the local amphur).

Wife supported this action and supported husband taking child to Oz.leaving her here with her other child.

Within 1 week of husband departing with the baby Wife now applies for a tourist visa to visit husbnand and child in Oz

Questions relate to legality/morality of getting to oz this way??

they married, still in thailand husband on fly out basis- divorce took place in thailand\.

if she is waiting for a visa she will need to tell them.- she applied for a visa for the 2nd time was made here in thailand after the thai divorce?

The OP has already stated that the 3 month visa has been approved. I don't know why OP is questioning why she can "legally" travel on a tourist visa when it's already been granted.

Yes after the divorce!! initial visa to immigrate was withdrawn.