Thailand's Prostitution Image Is Embarrassing

webfact

Not as bad as that NOK Airways calendar apparently according to the culture minister. Oh that is right there is no prostitution in Thailand as it is ilegal and Thais are moraly pure.

Always a good excuse to reprise my Nok Air video - they are of course no ladies of the demi-monde - just BABES in training ...

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is 'famous' for it, because Thai are open about it and allow foreigners to participate. Other Asian countries have just as much if not more prostitution than Thailand. It is omnipresent in every Asian society. But in other countries foreigners aren't even permitted to enter most of these places, and foreigners seen with a local female can get very hostile reactions and the woman herself sometimes will be openly insulted by native males. Additionally Thailand is an attractive coubntry to visit in general, so many people will go here and see it occur, and not realize that in China, Korea, etc it is everywhere too. So no, it is not 'fair' the reputation Thailand receives, when they are simply the more open about it.

Been all over Asia and Thailand has by far and away the most prostitutes of anywhere and its not even close. Prostitution certainly does exist everywhere in Asia, but not nearly at the level it does in Thailand.

Your observations, based on your own limited anecdotal evidence, are grossly biased and an unreliable source of information.

If you would bother to do a bit of research you would find that Thailand ranks about number 11 in number of sex workers per 10,000 adult female population. At 44 per 10,000, Thailand is behind such countries as Venezuela (119), Peru (101), Luxembourg (99), Philippines (85), Latvia (67), China (59), Brazil (52), Malaysia (51) and Germany (48). Look it up.

there are prostitutes in every country - just behind closed doors.In thailand,most of places are open,where you can record,photo etc.

Behind closed doors????? You don't get out much do ya?

After that embarrassing episode, Mr. Sonthaya Khunpluem from Thailand’s Ministry of Culture sent a letter to inform the U.S. Embassy in Thailand. He explained that the TV clip really damaged the image of Thailand and requested that whoever posted it to remove it. The comedy clip only shows a one-sided view of Thailand, Mr. Sonthaya protested. More preferable would be a documentary with a more balanced view of prostitution, instead of treating it as a joke.

I would be laughing in this guys ear on the phone and tell him one thing, CLEAN IT UP !

This is the oldest profession in the world.

Most women in the world are prostitutes. But only the "decent" women let the man pay in various other ways, than charging him after having sex. Western guy goes out on the town, drops into a bar or club, meets a nice girl, buys her a drink, she smiles, they chat, head out to diner, buys her flowers on the way out of the restaurant, head to a coffee shop, chat some more and find they have a lot in common, amongst which is sexual energy and drive compounded by lonliness and need.

He walk her home, she invites him in, they talk some more, start to get close and nature takes it's course. If he is comfortable he leaves in the morning, if not, he leave an hour or so later. Trade numbers, maybe he calls, maybe he does not. Total bill for the evening for drinks, diner, flowers, coffee & deserts, US$100 or Baht3000.

Same act, same result in Thailand, same energy, same emotions, same needs, US$50 or Baht 1500. Maybe she leaves in the morning and maybe not. Maybe they trade numbers. Now which one is a "prostitute" and which one is a "good" girl? Compensated dating with a twist?

That's exactly the thing. The Thais just took that logic a little further and made it easier for everyone. Asians in general are more logical, unlike farangs who react to everything in a more emotional way. In the end it's men in the West who have such huge affective needs that they will always accept to suck up to females in order to get laid. If more guys would just refuse to degrade themselves, then maybe attitudes would change.

Personally I find it quite offensive that you would compare my mother, daughter and wife with a street crawler from Pattaya. They are absolutely nothing like a bar girl who may go out for dinner 10 times per night.

Cry us a river lol. Facts are facts.

Where do girls working in the bars and clubs invaribly come from ? Isaan.

Which is the poorest part of the country ? Isaan.

Which part has the least investment by government ? Issan.

Where are the most cash starved schools ? Isaan.

The government could incentivise ( no, not bribe ) companies and move government departments out of the central area. Bring jobs there.

Where does the rice come from ? Put the Ministry of Agricaulture there.

Jobs = Money = Less desperation

prostitution embarassing who? HI-SO?! start to pay the right salary to your workers, give them free access to healt tretment and free instruction then I want to see how many prostitutes left one the bar! if the parents doesn't finish the money on gambling and whisky and if you finish to teach your child to keep and take care of the older who ruin the future of this country

I don't understand everybody blames Thai culture and the education system for the business of Eros in the Kingdom. Any young woman who isn't lazy can get an education and move forward with her life. Cases in point:

1. My niece, who is Thai, and came from humble beginnings in Southern Thailand, managed through hard work and diligence to get her bachelors degree. She now lives in the United States and enjoys a bright future.

2. A close friend of mine met a young woman in a soi Cowboy bar and offered to pay her living expenses and tuition at Chula. She gratefully accepted and give him her bank account number for the deposits. I told him to let me talk with Chula admissions and see if the cost could be handled directly with the university. The answer was an easy yes.

Two months later he found her back at the bar. Once these girls get a taste of the easy money, they're hooked. No lack of opportunity, just laziness. Sabai - Sabai.

First of all, very few southern Thais are as poor as the people in Isaan, so what you call humble, may in fact have been average. Secondly, college and university is not free, so I assume someone paid her school fees. Usually in southern Thailand, the parents or older sister who already has a decent job, will take care of that part, or at least one does not have to send money to ones parents each month, as they have enough, so whatever money is saved from a job can be spent on school fees.

In Isaan most girls are expected to send money to their parents, and without education there is no way to get anything but minimum wage if that. Gettng minimum wage, working 10 hours a day, paying for parents and school fees, nevemind finding time to go to school, is just not possible!

2. A close friend of mine met a young woman in a soi Cowboy bar.....

It is ALWAYS seems to happen to 'a friend of mine' on this forum doesn't it?

"a close friend of mine", cause if they are not close, people might get suspicious as to why the poster knows every little detail of the friends life :-)

How about Thai people using the sex industry?

Isn't it easier to blame the Farangs rather than to see the whole picture?

This is really the process that has been going on since the Vietnam war where most of this all started and wasn't put down ever since. Now Thailand has a generation of girls and women who are unable to break out of the cycle.

Bangkok was well known for its night life with beautiful girls being available back in the 1960's so any claims about the Vietnam War being the main cause and start of it are rubbish. That the arrival of the US forces ramped up the industry is another matter however.

The VAST majority of Thai/Foreigner relationships end quite quickly. Thats a fact. Look up the numbers. You're cute personal anecdote and apologetics may sound nice but they don't mesh with the facts. Most of my friends who are married to Thais are either in bad relationships they want to get out of or are being hustled by the wife's family. All Thai women may not be that way, but there is a disturbing number who are and if you think it is no different from anywhere else you are either frighteningly naive or not living in reality.

I'm not naive, don't know who you think im apologising for I know what the realities of life are and not sure one or two sentences constitutes an anecdote. Yes there are lot of unhappy relationships here but you need to realise they are not all as bitter and dark as you wish to paint them.

Does this include or exclude the 1-2 hour relationships?

It may be interesting to examine the motivations and mindset of a substantial number of middle-class young ladies in Japan who voluntarily enter the "water trade" (Japanese: mizu-shobai) and compare them with their Thai counterparts. In Japan, anyone can find info on this subject at the local news stand. For example, "soapland" magazines often feature interviews with soapland girls regarding their everyday lives and their get-rich-quick plans. Many of these young ladies enter the business at age 20 with a clear-cut plan to work 3 years and retire.

The incredible truth is -- these clever ladies have a combination of attractiveness, skills and street savvy that allows them to earn $2,500-$3,000 (THB 75,000-90,000) or more per night without ever giving up their precious virginity. [Note: You can't get much more clever than that -- or maybe their customers are just that much more gullible.] With a bit of zeal and dedication, these ladies can easily earn $2.0-$2.5 million in three years. Even after deducting living and work expenses and taxes they can save $1.5-$2 million.

After "retirement" at about age 23, their plans typically includes taking an extended Hawaii vacation with friends, then buying a BMW sports car and an upscale penthouse condo. With these "credentials" and with their virginity still technically intact, at 23-25 years old, they can still snag a rich, handsome young Japanese husband who will very likely never learn of their dodgy past and will treasure them because they are still a virgin at marriage.

In comparison, most of the poor young Thai girls from Isaan, no matter how attractive, would likely be hard pressed to match the "successful" careers of their Japanese "soapland" peers.

If interested, you can Google "soapland" for a simple, watered-down (no pun intended) explanation in English.

Somehow I think you are talking about a select few. I really doubt it is "easy" to make 2500 USD each and every day for 3 years, which would be necessary to make the 2-2.5 million you mention!

so what? u belive that they are working at bars because they like it every night with strangers?

Actually, in many, MANY cases: Yes, I believe.

I became friends with a bar girl in Bangkok many years ago. I mean real friends, no sex, just talk. She was a friend of another girl who my regular "companion".

So I asked this friend why she worked in the bar and she said it was "fun, lots of drink, lots of money and some times I come. <giggle>"

• Like 1

Rule #1 - Never marry a hooker

Rule #2 - They are all hookers

The Thai culture understands that sex is just a bodily function. Most of the Thai girls find it amusing that Western men come all the way to Thailand "to get sperm out". They assume it's just because Western women don't do a good job getting "sperm out".

• Like 1

This is really the process that has been going on since the Vietnam war where most of this all started and wasn't put down ever since. Now Thailand has a generation of girls and women who are unable to break out of the cycle.

Bangkok was well known for its night life with beautiful girls being available back in the 1960's so any claims about the Vietnam War being the main cause and start of it are rubbish. That the arrival of the US forces ramped up the industry is another matter however.

In the fall of 1967, I began a one year tour of duty with the U.S. Army at a camp near Sakon Nakhon. In this sleepy little town of that time there were already at least a dozen houses of prostitution - mostly small - catering to Thai men. There was one larger house catering to American soldiers and other Farang. By observation it seemed that the houses catering to Thai men had been around a long time before we ever got there.

Edited by JDGRUEN

A disgraceful job? Is it more disgraceful than a journalist making things up? A banker stealing from society or a bribe taking politician or policeman? More disgraceful than a soldier killing a protestor or a monk demanding money from the poor to get a better chance on a good next life? And above all is it more disgraceful to be a prostitute or a to be a customer who scoff at the girls but visits her and than return to his family as if nothing has happened?

There is not so much wrong with prostitutes in a matter of fact they are the backbone of Asian societies who keep their families going.

WHAT," prostitutes are the backbone of asian societies" Put the crack pipe down, &lt;deleted&gt;.

1. There is NO prostitution in Thailand, by (Thai) definition. Just lots of really friendly women whistling.gif

2. It is my strong believe that anyone (Thai men for sure!) can have sex anywhere in Thailand, within 10 minutes, if so desired.

3. FACT: Farang sex business is just 5% of the total; that leaves 95% to the Thai

4. Prostitution is the OLDEST profession in the world

The red-light district in Amsterdam is just for the tourists; rarely you will see Dutch people there (unless they come from the province for a day Amsterdam) We just laugh about them rolleyes.gif

Embarrassing or not, it is just a fact of life in Thailand.

And embarrassing for who??? For the girls? For the punters? For a thru and thru corrupt society and government?

Take your picktongue.png

• Like 1

What Thailand should be embarrassed about is the plethora of extremely unattractive older Foreign (white) men who proliferate here like rednecks with little subservient slave girls from poor families. The range of ugliness of these types of men living here is appalling.

haha your so right. even the ugliest, fattest, grossest, oldest of men get laid here. why is this? BAHT!!!!!!!!!!

You mean like this?

And what attracted the beautiful young Chinese lady to this older multi-millionaire?

Just luck - like the email of Bubba winning the lottery, & then, the very next day, booo booom!!!!!!

Falang laugh at thai prostitues, and Thai people laugh at falangs who take prostitues for thier wife HAHAHAAHAcheesy.gif who are more stupid???blink.png

Me I personally laugh at the sad sacks of buffalo crap who sit at side of road drinking every afternoon, blowing their wages on cheap nasty alcohol instead of feeding their families. They are the stupidest people around.

And whats the difference between marrying a prostitute or marrying an office girl in Thailand? You don't seriously think non-bar girls here are any less lying and scandalous than the actual bar girls do you?

the different is

1. prostitute stand under a light post and sell her self for 500 bath

2. prostitute very different from doctor, nurse, hotel reception ect.

3. prosttitute have sex for money but normal lady have sex from love

4. normal lady get paid saraly per month but a bar girl get paid per hour short time or long time

theres something seriously wrong with you mate or is it the company ( ladys that you keep ) ?

it sound like you have no respect for thai lady so why are you here better you go back home

Falang laugh at thai prostitues, and Thai people laugh at falangs who take prostitues for thier wife HAHAHAAHAcheesy.gif who are more stupid???blink.png

Me I personally laugh at the sad sacks of buffalo crap who sit at side of road drinking every afternoon, blowing their wages on cheap nasty alcohol instead of feeding their families. They are the stupidest people around.

And whats the difference between marrying a prostitute or marrying an office girl in Thailand? You don't seriously think non-bar girls here are any less lying and scandalous than the actual bar girls do you?

the different is

1. prostitute stand under a light post and sell her self for 500 bath

2. prostitute very different from doctor, nurse, hotel reception ect.

3. prosttitute have sex for money but normal lady have sex from love

4. normal lady get paid saraly per month but a bar girl get paid per hour short time or long time

theres something seriously wrong with you mate or is it the company ( ladys that you keep ) ?

it sound like you have no respect for thai lady so why are you here better you go back home

You may want to read up on Evolutionary Psychology. You have it wrong. The office girl, nurse, doctor, is going to assess your monetary value before they boom boom you.

You have to give Thais their due here, after doing the deed the don't walk around the streets of whatever town/city in Thailand with the hooker like they're loves young dream when he is 30 years older than her.

Whiteys are about as subtle as a brick in the face when it comes to walking around with hookers.

There are a lot of women hating people here. Some guys have had some serious issues when trying to build a serious relationship and may have been tossed out a lot of times.

By all means defend your prostitutes that is your right but please do not throw all women into the same basket and label them whores and prostitutes. Some comments are extremely insulting and offensive.

I feed my daughter, clothe her, pay for her education and she gets an allowance. That hardly means she is a prostitute like the street crawlers in Pattaya. My wife works hard in the home cooking, cleaning and raising well balanced kids this does not make her a prostitute.

Some people need to grow up just a little and get over thier previous failed relationships, show some respect and take moment to think that it may have just be your fault that you are a lonely bitter loser and not a womans fault.

• Like 2