Tot Server Crash Wipes Out Thailand's Internet

george

Were you affected by TOT server crash?  

311 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was wondering what happened so appreciate this news thread. I could ping servers all over the place so gave TOT a call and got the major system crash message. (They don't answer the phone!) Came back up about 5:30 or so here.

What surprises me the most, is that there was no communication from ToT on their website.

If there is a problem then the most logical thing to do is post a message in Thai on their Website and for my part in Tinglish that the Internet is not working.

But maybe that is just wishful thinking

Yes, it is really logical to post a message on a website that the internet is not working.

If customers' internet is not working, how will they access the website to read the message?

What you think when use 3G? so could still have my internet-connection... so it's really logical ;)

I stay in Samutprakan and have TOT... lousy connection and internet service. I have now 7Mb and they have a promotion that you get upgraded for the same price to 10Mb. Not here! Reaction? "our capacity is very small, so we can not offer you this..". Why on earth you come then with this promotion?? But ok. Problem is that I'm just 300 meters over the border of BKK and Samutprakan, so other providers don't offer services. Well, typically Thailand. They have some technology, but that's it, otherwise I cancelled TOT already for another provider. Some of them cheaper and offer some more Mb's.

As noted in one of the other threads, my TOT WiNet does not appear to have been down at all.

got winet here Mukdahan and this morning was loading at html basic speed after that no speed at all gor signal back around 5 lost around 300 thb from people come to use internet

Actually in this day and age it's supposed to be 'realtime data replication' with (at least) two servers, each at another location, and (at least) two different links between the sites.wai.gif

That's sounds like the multiply-redundant system my company sold to British Telecom. It had a 99.9997% up-time.

The 0.0003% down time occurred when the UPS engineer tested the UPS after maintenance but had forgotten to connect it. Doh!

• Like 1

What surprises me the most, is that there was no communication from ToT on their website.

If there is a problem then the most logical thing to do is post a message in Thai on their Website and for my part in Tinglish that the Internet is not working.

But maybe that is just wishful thinking

Yes, it is really logical to post a message on a website that the internet is not working.

If customers' internet is not working, how will they access the website to read the message?

What you think when use 3G? so could still have my internet-connection... so it's really logical wink.png

If you are using 3G and still have an internet connection, you would not realise that there is a problem for other users so why would you access your internet provider's website to see if they had posted about a problem? Not logical at all!

If there is a problem then the most logical thing to do is post a message in Thai on their Website

TOT post a message on their website? Like......errrrrrrrrrrrr,

'Hi Guys! We are posting this message to inform you that you can't read this message as our internet is down.'

wink.png

I guess they have never heard of redundant servers, load balancing, failover clusters, etc. Silly farang, Thai know best how to do these things. Much like the Bangkok Post website is a joke and takes forever to render and then there's the Thai Air website. Too many examples to name, but you get the point. The idea that the primary ISP in Thailand only has 1 server that manages internet connectivity for the entire country in this day and age is well, ignorant. No other way to put it.

• Like 2

now does the whole country for TOT go thru 1 server? no redudancy??

chiang mai up and running at 13:30

Not in San Kamphaeng, after 4 pm.

Talking of refunds, once it was off for about 4 days, waiting on a spare part for our area. Filled in the right forms & got the refund. It was the principle rather than the amount. Apart from outages like today, TOT is generally pretty good considering our "out in the sticks" location.

"Out in the sticks" you gotta be an Aussie !

If there is a problem then the most logical thing to do is post a message in Thai on their Website

TOT post a message on their website? Like......errrrrrrrrrrrr,

'Hi Guys! We are posting this message to inform you that you can't read this message as our internet is down.'

wink.png

Never heard of a Phone with 3G .errrrrrrrrrrrr, Or are we still living back in the .... ???

I think these messages are standard with providers all over Europe

or

http://status.demon.net/

Edited by MJCM

Actually in this day and age it's supposed to be 'realtime data replication' with (at least) two servers, each at another location, and (at least) two different links between the sites.wai.gif

That's sounds like the multiply-redundant system my company sold to British Telecom. It had a 99.9997% up-time.

The 0.0003% down time occurred when the UPS engineer tested the UPS after maintenance but had forgotten to connect it. Doh!

Nothing to be embarressed about. Even in more advanced countries like Thailand these things can happen rolleyes.gif

"Mr Chadchart said that the UPS supplying electricity for the radar system experienced problem on Thursday evening, and the back-up power supply was not working. Engineers took around 40 minutes to repair.

... ...

A back-up radar system that could cover both airports together is at Thung Maha Mek and could operate effectively, but there was no staff manning the system at the time when it was needed, when there was power supply problem."

• Like 1