Employing A Thai Researcher

Hi!

I'm looking for some advice, if anyone out there can help :o

I'm looking to employ a Thai national to do some research for my company, initially on a part-time basis, but would eventually lead to full-time empoyment for the right candidate. I would also like to be able, at least in the beginning, pay them cash-in-hand.

They would need to be able to read and write English to a good level, but computer literacy would not be necessary. The main requirement would be that they be bright, enthusiastic and capable of independant thought.

Firstly, does anyone know how to go about recruiting someone? For example are there any websites/forums/newspapers I could advertize in? Or, are there any reputable employment agencies I could go to?

Secondly, does anyone know what the going salary would be roughly? I guess full-time would be monthly, and part-time would be daily?

Thirdly, are there any implications with paying cash-in-hand?

I realise that this is quite a lot that I am asking for help with, but any input whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Jez :D

Edited by jezchesters

Hi!

I'm looking to employ a Thai national to do some research for my company, initially on a part-time basis, but would eventually lead to full-time empoyment for the right candidate. I would also like to be able, at least in the beginning, pay them cash-in-hand.

They would need to be able to read and write English to a good level, but computer literacy would not be necessary. The main requirement would be that they be bright, enthusiastic and capable of independant thought.

It will not be easy to judge who is "capable of independent thought" in a 10 minutes interview. I suggest you spend some time thinking of ways to evaluate you candidates.

Firstly, does anyone know how to go about recruiting someone? For example are there any websites/forums/newspapers I could advertize in? Or, are there any reputable employment agencies I could go to?

A small ad Bangkok Post in bangkok post may result in over 10 resumes a day. Similar results in Jobsdb.com. The latter seems to be more cost effective and more conveinient, since you can make changes in the listing during the period they give you, provide much more information and have better screening. You also also you agencies such as Manpower.

Secondly, does anyone know what the going salary would be roughly? I guess full-time would be monthly, and part-time would be daily?

Really depends on the qualifications. You will have a rough time finding someone good under 15,000 baht. Around 20K might be reasonable.

Consider this:

- If this is an employee, your company is required to pay 5% social security (and deduct 5%) to a maximum of 750 baht a month. Witholding tax will kick in at about 16K.

- If this is a freelancer, your company is required to deduct 3% from his/her fee and pass it to the revenue department at the 7th of each month.

Whether you wish to stick to the law or not, that's another story.

What does "my company" mean? Is this a Thai company?

Edited by ~G~

Hi!

I realise that this is quite a lot that I am asking for help with, but any input whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Depending on the level of analysis, if it is just field work then you can use a market research company.

If you want reporting and analysis, then I know a few people who could do it.

If you are actually doing a market demand or sizing study, then again I can recommend a person or two.

If it is a sales thing, disguised as research, then you should say so, and you will have the chance to hire plenty of sales people around the place (not sure how good they are).

Cash in hand is not necessarily a big deal; I would consider trying jobsdb.com or contact a market research company if it is genuine market research.

PM me if you want to discuss.

Cheers for the help guys!

To expand a little, I have a UK based firm which sells products from Thailand on the internet. Basically, I would need the employee to do the legwork part of researching products and prices (ie sending them to various manufacturers to take photos of products and obtain pricelists). A decent level of English would be required so that they could adequately convey their findings to me without the obstacle of a language barrier. I agree that assessing 'independent thought' would be difficult over a 10 minute interview - what I'm looking for is someone that I could give a general description of the type of product that I need, and for them to be left to their own devices in finding it and reporting back to me. I was thinking that it may even suit a university undergraduate?

To expand a little, I have a UK based firm which sells products from Thailand on the internet. Basically, I would need the employee to do the legwork part of researching products and prices (ie sending them to various manufacturers to take photos of products and obtain pricelists). A decent level of English would be required so that they could adequately convey their findings to me without the obstacle of a language barrier. I agree that assessing 'independent thought' would be difficult over a 10 minute interview - what I'm looking for is someone that I could give a general description of the type of product that I need, and for them to be left to their own devices in finding it and reporting back to me. I was thinking that it may even suit a university undergraduate?

I would contact Assumption University, Sasin and a couple of the other business schools, and no doubt there is some masters student with decent english willing to do this work for you.

Because they are a student, they will probably consider it as some ok pocket money.

Anything upwards of 500Baht a day casual rates will get you plenty of takers. But the problem would be getting the right person. Beware you dont get slugged for extras like entertaining clients and travel costs. If you do need to include an expense account, keep a tight rein on it or you may find you are paying for a lot of travel and expensive dinners with potential clients without results.

I have been down this road before. Farang have too mut money!

what I'm looking for is someone that I could give a general description of the type of product that I need, and for them to be left to their own devices in finding it and reporting back to me.

It seems more like a Sourcing Agent than a market researcher. It requires judgment, accuracy, reliability and a lot of resourcefulness. You don't want to get "I don't know Chonburi", "There is very little woodcraft in Chiang Mai" or "There is no Silk in North East Thailand. I'm sure". This is a non trivial job, don't aim low. Entrepreneurs are often surprised to discover how many people want to have everything spelled out for them before they start working.

Edited by ~G~

what I'm looking for is someone that I could give a general description of the type of product that I need, and for them to be left to their own devices in finding it and reporting back to me.

It seems more like a Sourcing Agent than a market researcher. It requires judgment, accuracy, reliability and a lot of resourcefulness. You don't want to get "I don't know Chonburi", "There is very little woodcraft in Chiang Mai" or "There is no Silk in North East Thailand. I'm sure". This is a non trivial job, don't aim low. Entrepreneurs are often surprised to discover how many people want to have everything spelled out for them before they start working.

Thanks once again for the help guys!

The idea of a Sourcing Agent does indeed sound something close to what I'm looking for, although I already have a very good idea of the type of products I want and also the names of the companies I'm looking to source from. Again, the employee would be needed mostly to gather the information in Thai and convey the findings to me in English. Do you know if there are any freelance Sourcing Agents out there? Or whether I would need an agency?

Cheers again!

Jez

Hi!

Cheers!

Hi Jez: Not so much an answer - but if you are successful in finding someone, could you let me know what the most best route was? I am looking to do the same in July.

Thanks

Neil

No problem Neil...

Has anyone used Jobbees.com?

Cheers!

I did. I got very few resumes. Will not use them again. Ok, JobsDb's rates are 4 times higher, but you get results!

I looked on their site and it looks like their database has got 100s of suitable resumes...

Sent them an email to ask how to go about registering, and it was bounced back as their inbox is full! :o

No problem Neil...

Has anyone used Jobbees.com?

Cheers!

I did. I got very few resumes. Will not use them again. Ok, JobsDb's rates are 4 times higher, but you get results!

I looked on their site and it looks like their database has got 100s of suitable resumes...

Sent them an email to ask how to go about registering, and it was bounced back as their inbox is full! :o

I usually call rather than email. I got less than 10 resumes during a whole month there (they told me it will be more like 10 a day, which is the realistic figure in the case of JobsDB or Bangkok Post).

From A Recruitment Agency Point of View

Jobsdb - If you need good English Levels and a average salary above 20k

Jobthai - Low level English, salary regardless

Jobtopgun - annoying CV template, low level candidates but English Levels not bad

Jobbees - Not bad candidates but not many came thru

On average he number of CV's received by us is

Jobdb - 50-60 per day

Job Thai - 60 per day

Jobtopgun - 12 per day

Jobbees - 5 per day

Needless to say I only use the top two now

From A Recruitment Agency Point of View

Jobsdb - If you need good English Levels and a average salary above 20k

Jobthai - Low level English, salary regardless

Jobtopgun - annoying CV template, low level candidates but English Levels not bad

Jobbees - Not bad candidates but not many came thru

On average he number of CV's received by us is

Jobdb - 50-60 per day

Job Thai - 60 per day

Jobtopgun - 12 per day

Jobbees - 5 per day

Thanks!

JobThai seems to be the easiest one to register with as it can all be done online and paid for by credit card, rather than having to physically go to the bank to put money in someone's bank account. Again, I've had a quick look through the blanked-out resumes online before committing, and it seems that there are plenty of qualified people with reasonable wage demands.

Do you know if these are valid resumes, or are they put there to entice you into using their services?

Thanks again!

Jez :o

Edited by jezchesters

Jobdb - 50-60 per day

Job Thai - 60 per day

Jobtopgun - 12 per day

Jobbees - 5 per day

Prudent Rabbit, did you also use ThaiITJobs.com? My experience showed me that they are just slightly better than Jobbees... Would be interested to know if you share that impression.

To be quite honest they offered me a good deal , but I have decided to stay away from the IT Market, too many agencies trying allready and every client advertises themselves

ie everybody chasing the same candidates = waste of our time.

We stick with clients who want us to do all the work, so cant give you an opinion Im afraid

for the occasional IT job we get (usually as part of a bigger package of jobs, we find Jobsdb and the people we allready know can provide us with enough candidates)

Edited by Prudent_rabbit