Favorite Age Group To Teach

It seems as if most teaching jobs being advertised these days are centered around teaching kids. I taught kids a few times and although some classes were great, I found the majority of them to be rather difficult. Teaching kids often pays better than teaching adults but I prefer less stress on the job which is why I made the switch. Which age group do you folks prefer and why?

Different ages of students offer different challenges and rewards. Younger students, P1 - P3 or 4, are generally obedient and enthusiatic about learning. The particularly enjoy English games. Kids who are a bit older - say P4 to M2 - can be a real challenge. They are really starting to develop their personalities and are asserting their independence. Asserting one's independence is generally a good thing, but when you have 50 kids asserting their indepence while your teaching them English, well, things can get a bit noisy. :o

I find that lessons with older students and adults can be a lot more interesting. I've really learned a lot about Thailand and Thai culture from my older students and I've had a lot of fun in classes with them as well.

I taught middle and high school in Canada, prefered High school

I taught High school in China at an International School, enjoyed the level, very much prefered the IB (international baccalaureate level)

but for me, best of all is teaching at the university level, I especially enjoy teaching Drama classes for the 3rd year.

My experience of teaching kids has been in language schools. I much prefer the morning classes to the afternoon ones. The office staff tend to stuff the kids so full of junk food in the lunch-time period that they are hyper in the afternoon.

Saying that, the most rewarding thing for me is when kids classes go well. :o

Some good responses so far. I agree with what was said regarding teens...they are the most difficult group to deal with. If I had to do it all over, I would definitely opt for either Kindergarten or Elementary kids. The younger kids are usually not irritating in the same way as their teen counterparts and they do absorb information really fast. When I taught Kindergarten I was surprised at how fast they learn.

I taught middle and high school in Canada, prefered High school

I taught High school in China at an International School, enjoyed the level, very much prefered the IB (international baccalaureate level)

but for me, best of all is teaching at the university level, I especially enjoy teaching Drama classes for the 3rd year.

I agree with Gisele. I've taught pre-school (3 & 4 year olds) through adult (grandma's and grandpa's) and I find university students by far the most enjoyable. I teach English majors, so language problems are significantly minimized. In this arena, English is primarily taught indirectly through the instruction of other subjects: journalism, debate, business, public speaking & drama. It's the most work I've ever done in teaching, but the most gratifying at the same time.

It's the most work I've ever done in teaching, but the most gratifying at the same time.

It's important that you enjoy the group you teach. I now work six days a week but I have virtually no stress and I enjoy it so much more than teaching young learners.

HI guys

I'm not a teacher ----No qualifictions ??But I am one the few falangs that can speak fluent Thai ,And I have taught in laos as a guest ,but not a paid teacher!!!

I have met dozens of falangs in thailand and Laos that are in teaching jobs , And have had NO training what so ever ,

It seems that head hunters are on the streets in Bangkok searching out westerners to teach in schools whether they be tourists or Ex pats , it seems any will do ,

I met one guy in Pattaya ,He once owned a restaurant in Day night area ,and his grasp of the English language was awful and he barely able to string a logical sentence together, every other word in his vocabulary was the " F " word,!!!-I think he was long term on the dole in the UK,definetly in the brain dead catagory, and with a drink problem ,

he shocked me by telling Me during a Kind of conversation that his business had failed [as most do]and that he was off to some far flung province with his lady-boy friend intending to teach in a high school , I asked Him "Teaching what subject" , to which he replied "all sorts of english"-------gulppppppp,

I asked him what qualfications he had , to which he replied "None its not needed",-

----I had over a period of time watched and listened to this man's performances in trying to converse with his live in lady-boy ,it was comical and pathetic to watch his nonsensical communicative skills,-again gulpppppp

You've all met theses illiterate tattooed ######s in pattaya bars,

I really pity the thai student's if they are to get these sort of people teaching them,

I firmly believe that the Thais Authorities should demand to see university Qualifications , Who wants their children taught by these drop outs of society,Why should thay put up with having second best ,In england its not tolerated-and also I thin its imperative that criminal regords are scrutinised from home countries, as I have also noted thare are many paedophile typs living in Thailand, and getting into schools is a wonderful oppurtunity for them to hone their perverted skills ??????

-I did ask this guy if he could speak Thai ,Stupid question really !!! But he has lived In pattaya for about 8 years and can only utter a few words

I feel that if ytou are going to teach Thais -you also need to be able to understand and speak the language so that comunication is complete ,It takes a VERY competant person to be able to teach some one of a foriegn language remotly related to their own

Anyway this man did go to I think "Uthai-Thani"-----where he lasted about 2 months and came back minus Lady-boy, And said the kids didn't want to learn ??????????????? anyway he's still drinking himself even more stupid in Pattaya

Does any one know of other case's ,Or are YOu one of these chancer's,

mr_sydney, I doubt that your example is typical, but let's just say that in the remote provinces, things are very remote and very provincial. The native Thai English teachers in the prathom schools may have never studied English. The native Thai teachers in matayom may have a bad accent and poor teaching methods. Therefore, anybody who even appears to be a native speaker can sometimes get hired, but they seldom last long (like the example you mentioned).

Back to topic. I've only taught teenagers in Thailand, and I've always enjoyed working with teenagers. I wouldn't mind P5 and P6, but would prefer M5, M6, and uni students. Not sure about adults (although I is one). :o

I firmly believe that the Thais Authorities should demand to see university Qualifications

I've had two interviews for teaching jobs in Thailand; one at the college level and one at the university level. Although I arrived at the interview with a thick portfolio of documents (certificates, degrees, teaching awards, letters of recommendation, etc.) never once was I asked to present them. I was essentially hired before I ever walked in the door. I was a warm (and white) body that spoke native English. Hired. Case closed.

It sure makes the application/interview process easy and low-stress when you're qualified. But at the same time, it more than adequately explains why I've had to work with some fellow expats who really couldn't care less about the educational welfare of their students--as long as the baht kept coming in steadily to fund their next trip to Pattaya, Laos, or the local bar.

I've never taught M1 but I've taught their M2 and M4 counterparts. The difference between M2 and M4 was like night and day...M4 being MUCH easier to deal with although they could still be naughty. Most of the M2 kids, especially the boys, should have been publicly executed (by me of course)

The problem I have with M4 and up is my size. I'm no big guy at all so most of the students are bigger than me. The really naughty one's look at me when I tell them off like "What the hel_l are you going to do about it little farang!" :o

I've taught all kinds from K1 to university. Also done lots of corporate.

Kids were alright for a couple of years. Variety was the best thing for me, teaching corporate and kids at the same time.

Now I could only teach university kids.

I feel that if ytou are going to teach Thais -you also need to be able to understand and speak the language so that comunication is complete ,It takes a VERY competant person to be able to teach some one of a foriegn language remotly related to their own

Speaking Thai does help in some circumstances(mostly in classroom management and admin. stuff) but you don't need to be able to. You are teaching Thais English, not Thai or Laotian. If you work in Bangkok speaking Lao, they'll all laugh at you.

Being able to speak/understand a little Thai is always good, especially when teaching adults. If somebody cracks a joke in class you can join in a bit if you understand a few words. It also helps when you're teaching very low levels as you can use your Thai to explain what something is in English.

With regard to Laos, many Thai students will joke and say one of their classmates is from Laos.