Whats With The Work At The Airport, On The Airside?

briley

Any knowledgable person know what is the work being carried out airside at the Suthep Road end of the airport?

I have two guesses -

First that it was a new road to the VIP landing area to avoid most of the Wing 41 area, but now I see the that they are digging rather deep and using a good compator so,

I now wonder is it the start of the extension of the runway? Initially extending the taxiway?

I also seem to recall a bit of work on Hang Dong road at the end of the runway in December, but as I never go that far I don't know if that is continuing or is finished.

Any knowledgable person know what is the work being carried out airside at the Suthep Road end of the airport?

I have two guesses -

First that it was a new road to the VIP landing area to avoid most of the Wing 41 area, but now I see the that they are digging rather deep and using a good compator so,

I now wonder is it the start of the extension of the runway? Initially extending the taxiway?

I also seem to recall a bit of work on Hang Dong road at the end of the runway in December, but as I never go that far I don't know if that is continuing or is finished.

Aren't they going ahead with the new airport in San Kampheng??? Whats with all these new developments at the current airport?? I DONT GET IT!..

Aren't they going ahead with the new airport in San Kampheng??? Whats with all these new developments at the current airport?? I DONT GET IT!..

The proposed airport at Sankampaeng has been debated for years, although, to my knowledge, no formal plans have been drawn up, if they have, I'd love to see them.

I do realise that all the land in the proposed "area" has been already purchased. Another speculative move? :o

The new work at the airport is on a new international arrivals building, and adjacent car parks. The work that I saw on Suthep Road doesn't seem to have any bearing on the airport, but one never knows :D

I have two guesses -

Yes, I believe they're extending the runway in that direction. I don't know the engineering of that, or why they have to dig deep.

I have two guesses -

Not Sankamphaeng but rather Ban Don Ti, in Lamphun province beyond SKP a bit. What I've heard is that Ban Don Ti will be the eventual location for a new airport (there are relatively few places flat enough that haven't already been developed and are near to CNX, plus sightlines are supposedly good there), but that in the meantime local officials hope to skim as much off the current airport expansion as they can before Lamphun officials get their turn. :o

The work in the airport - airside- can only be seen from inside wing 41, up near the gate at the suthep road end. Still don't know what it is.

They tend to dig a bit deep for runways and taxi ways as half a million tons of metal dropping out of the sky tends to put a dent into 3 inches of concrete ..............................