Staff Changes At Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration

LeCharivari

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

HOWEVER, you could also change the condo/room/house but bring the old bill. I have noticed they do not really look or check the dates or anything.

<snip>

Maybe that is the reason why they invented the TM.28 form (Aliens to Notify Their Change of Address or Their Stay in the Province over 24 Hours) , also if you check into a new room the owner of the room should notify immigration (No idea of the form to use).

But my guess it's never enforced, but you never know. When I moved from my old Condo to my new own, I filled in that (Tm 28) form and gave it while doing my 90 Day Reports. The officer looked at it and asked me "why do you give me this" , I just replied " Change of Address Krab", he stamped and signed it and give me back the slip. blink.png

<snip>

I know when i report, i used my 5 year old lease, and they never asked. Last report, i used my business card from where i work and they were ok with it.

Might be the luck of the draw or may be the mood of the day smile.png

I will report back in approx 1.5 weeks after doing mine, but maybe things only have changed because of the new "helping hand" person behind the info desk thumbsup.gif

Edit :*/ I need a zpelling course wink.png

Yeshh you dotongue.png

Edited by lemoncake

.....one of my guests went to do his extension and he is on month my month basis, so no contract, he gave them the bills and they refused it.

..... I made up for him a lease agreement, and problem was solved.

I gave telephone bills as proof of address for both my 90 day and retirement extension proof of address (2 days ago) and there were no problems; I, too, have no rental agreement as our house is in my Thai Civil Partner's name (and no possibility of my name in a yellow Tambian Bahn, as obviously we're not married in Thailand).

Probably a silly question, but was it your guest's name on the internet bills?

.....one of my guests went to do his extension and he is on month my month basis, so no contract, he gave them the bills and they refused it.

..... I made up for him a lease agreement, and problem was solved.

I gave telephone bills as proof of address for both my 90 day and retirement extension proof of address (2 days ago) and there were no problems; I, too, have no rental agreement as our house is in my Thai Civil Partner's name (and no possibility of my name in a yellow Tambian Bahn, as obviously we're not married in Thailand).

Probably a silly question, but was it your guest's name on the internet bills?

No, he only had the bills for paying rent with his name. He is living in my hotel, internet and everything else is included in the rent

What if you own a condo ??

Bring copies of the Chanote ??

A chanote proves that you own a condo but it doesnt prove that you live in it.

A utility bill is better proof that you live there, but even that doesnt actually guarantee that you do. Nothing does.

In December they accepted an electricity bill which was NOT in my name as proof of address for my 90 day report.

I had asked them the previous time that I had moved house and that the electricity meter is not in my name, and they told me it would be no problem.

Maybe I look like a sincere and trustworthy person to them. biggrin.png

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind a paperwork review by a person that was competent. ...

I'd never claim to be competent, but the paperwork I needed/am aware of is as follows:

1. Proof of address: preferably utility bill (see above, photocopy will do).

2. Proof of pension income/money in the bank: either (a) a letter from your Embassy (dated within a month) showing overseas income of more than 65,000 baht per month (in whatever currency the income is in, not baht) or (B) the original and a copy of your Thai bank book and a stamped letter from the bank (dated within 24 hours) showing that you have at least 800,000 baht in the bank which has been there for at least 3 months (2 months for the first application) or © a combination of (a) and (B), with no time requirement for (B).

3. Passport and photocopies of various pages (varies!) including at least the "face" page, the original visa, the most recent entry stamp, the most recent extension, and the TM card.

4. Completed form (TM 7) with photo attached.

5. 1,900 baht

<snip>

<snip>

The requirement now is Tm7 with 2 Photo's thumbsup.gif

Found the post:

It's a requirement now. I got away with it last time, but they said to bring proof of address next time. It is a requirement now in Jomtien.

Edit: just to add, I've heard you now need 2 photos when extending your visa. Things seem to be in flux as there's a new boss in charge.

Jbrain is right !! Only the first (1st) extension counts as a 90 Day report. After that you are lucky if the 90 Day report date falls on the same date as the extension date, but with the 90 Days report you have 15 Days before and 7 Days after the reporting date to report.

OK. I guess then this is individual Immigration Office interpretation. After a number of extensions all I can say is the new report date has been from the day of extension the same as re-entering the country.

Jbrain is right !! Only the first (1st) extension counts as a 90 Day report. After that you are lucky if the 90 Day report date falls on the same date as the extension date, but with the 90 Days report you have 15 Days before and 7 Days after the reporting date to report.

OK. I guess then this is individual Immigration Office interpretation. After a number of extensions all I can say is the new report date has been from the day of extension the same as re-entering the country.

As you say, this must be a local immigration office decision, as other offices don't work this way.

My 90 Day report day is currently trailing 14 days behind my extension date, but I can catch up if I want (by reporting late (up to 7 days allowed), but I don't care, as I can meet the "friendly officers" more then once wink.png

Edited by MJCM

He is indeed at Pattaya immigration for at least 18 years, that I know of, and he has always been like this.

I think he's also one of the highest ranked in the immigration office.and maybe that explains his behaviour.

I remember him as long back as they had Immigration in Jomtien - and I think also back to when they were in Soi 7 in pattaya. Yes he was always like that. Why do you think he should be one of the highest ranked officers? I don't recall seeing any rank signs, but why would they put a high ranking officer as the receptionist?

i have no idea, do not shoot the messenger. i only know what i have been told by the guest and what i have done for him.

As i said, they refused to accept any bills, receipts of rent payment or receipts from internet booking, nothing but lease agreement

I wonder what those who have a house in a company do?

He is indeed at Pattaya immigration for at least 18 years, that I know of, and he has always been like this.

I think he's also one of the highest ranked in the immigration office.and maybe that explains his behaviour.

I remember him as long back as they had Immigration in Jomtien - and I think also back to when they were in Soi 7 in pattaya. Yes he was always like that. Why do you think he should be one of the highest ranked officers? I don't recall seeing any rank signs, but why would they put a high ranking officer as the receptionist?

He sits and scans the Pattaya forum on ThaiVisa - that is why he has such a hatred for foreigners!!!wink.png

i have no idea, do not shoot the messenger. i only know what i have been told by the guest and what i have done for him.

As i said, they refused to accept any bills, receipts of rent payment or receipts from internet booking, nothing but lease agreement

May be the easiest thing to do is to make a lease agreement between yourself and yourself, because i do not think they even read the contract, as long as it says lease agreement and looks like one :)

I remember a news article about his promotion together with another officer at the same office a few years ago, it included the pictures of both officers.

Think he was made head of the office or something.

His picture was also on the advertising billboards in the latest Pattaya elections

When I owned a house in company name I also just took a receipt from an electricity bill.

As I said earlier, I now own a house ( building in my name ) but the electricity meter is in the name of the official Thai owner of the land, and they accepted it in December withouit any questions asked.I 'm not married with the landowner.

Edited by jbrain

A copy of the electric bill always works for me. They dont seem to be that concerned about what you give them. Some take a closer look, others just staple them all together, then throw them in the box, (which im sure will never be looked at again).

The reason for the Proof of Address requirement, according to Barry Kenyon some time ago and to the officer at the 90 day report desk, was that it was made a requirement by the Immigration audit team who were unable to read some of the addresses on the TM 7's and TM 47's so they needed a document where the address was typed, not handwritten.

He's a Captain (3 stars/pips) - the same rank as those in charge of each desk/sub-department. I also recall him from Soi 7; as Chonburi (Pattaya) is a very popular (lucrative) posting with a regular turnover of staff and his job entails the least actual work he must be keeping someone happy!

<snip>

<snip>

The requirement now is Tm7 with 2 Photo's thumbsup.gif

Found the post: http://www.thaivisa....l/#entry6106968

It's a requirement now. I got away with it last time, but they said to bring proof of address next time. It is a requirement now in Jomtien.

Edit: just to add, I've heard you now need 2 photos when extending your visa. Things seem to be in flux as there's a new boss in charge.

What someone has "heard" and what is required are two different things - its still ONE photo (unless its changed in the last two days!).wai2.gif

Snipped

ps for the retirement extension they require prove of address(eg lease copy). Luckily I brought such a copy but some there did not and seemed to be taken by surprise.

i dont have a lease agreement as the house is in my wifes name i usually give them my internet bill, i hope its not changed cos i know they like to change a system that does'nt need changing.

I used my TOT bill this week and that was perfectly okay.

pretty much summed up my experience today... went to extend tourist visa based on marriage... had all my docs, pleasant young girl gave me the form and rattled off what i needed and told me i could get 60 days max and come back at 1.00 (was about 11.45)

Came back at 12.55, the Thai information guy completely blanked me as he sat there shuffling envelopes (i can remember this guy from soi 8) ..eventually got a ticket from the foreign guy, he was fine but seemed surprised that i requested extension on tourist visa based on marriage and said i would maybe get 7 days (i had requested 14)... anyway after about an hour l got 60 days stamped, guy and the issuing lady in the background were very pleasant and bantered away to mrs

Quiet funny, whilst i was waiting there was a farang couple at one the processing desks and at some stage the wife whispered "crazy" to the the husband.. the female officer wasn't impressed .. 'who say crazy, what you say crazy. etc etc.....kept going for at least 2 minutes !!

Think your memory isn’t what is used to be, or possibly at bit blurred. Immigration was located at soi 8 not soi 7 before they moved to Jomtien.

As for 90 day reports I’ve been bringing a copy of my driver’s license, front and back (as it has my address on the back of it) and so far that’s been accepted. Then again, next time who knows…

...As for 90 day reports I’ve been bringing a copy of my driver’s license, front and back (as it has my address on the back of it) and so far that’s been accepted. Then again, next time who knows…

A friend of mine does the same for both his 90 days and Extensions and has never had any problems - he also uses the licence to get a proof of address from Immigration when renewing his licence!

...As for 90 day reports I’ve been bringing a copy of my driver’s license, front and back (as it has my address on the back of it) and so far that’s been accepted. Then again, next time who knows…

A friend of mine does the same for both his 90 days and Extensions and has never had any problems - he also uses the licence to get a proof of address from Immigration when renewing his licence!

Funny, isn't it, given the fact that the address on the driving license is based on a letter from Immigration. w00t.gif

Someone who needed his retirement visa extended last week had a bad experience with the information desk at Jomtien Immigration. Before I accompanied them to that office I enquired the details and was told :

John completed the required form with photos, lease agreement in original plus copy, bank balance certificate in original & copy etc..The Thai man behind the counter at the Jomtien immigration information desk pointed out that there were 2 weeks left to run. He refused to issue a queue number and asked John to "go away". As John was travelling he explained that extending the retirement visa for one year was something he wished to do before travelling overseas. Apparently the man behind the information desk was unmoved and waved John away pointing to the people waiting.

John turned to the new person (who replaced Barry, I gather). The new person (Jobsworth, I understand) was most unhelpful and rude to boot. Unable to even get a queue number; John was about to go to a visa agent in town and pay about THB 8k to have his visa extended plus immigration fees/charges. Quite unnecessary and expensive by the sounds of it. I returned to the Jomtien Immig Office and waving my finger insisted that we needed the visa renewed/extended right away and planned to go nowhere. We got a queue number from the now upset Thai man who sits behind the counter.

Staff stamping/renewing passports were polite & efficient. If Jomtien Immigration get a bad name it will be because of the difficulty is with the Thai man sitting behind the Jomtien Immigration Office infomation desk & the new Farang-helper ie: Jobsworth.

People should not have to struggle & have unpleasant experiences given we are dealing with very basic, brain-dead procedures which do not need a Masters degree to understand. Moreover, people are paying for the service.

Raises the question - Do the rude, unhelpful lackeys at the Information desk in Jomtien Immigration hope that visitors will use visa services in town if discouraged from attempting a self-renewal? Is it just rude self-importance or maybe boredom? Are the twosome looking for tea-money? After all these tiny visa outfits which have mushroomed around Pattaya have built a connect into immigration with 'generous tea-money' - ask anyone of the visa companies if you know the owners or watch the bag full of passports which come in whilst one is waiting.

Just some thoughts. Whatever the story there is no excuse for unhelpfulness or rudeness from people signing-up to provide a public service.

Edited by marchawkes

Someone who needed his retirement visa extended last week had a bad experience with the information desk at Jomtien Immigration. Before I accompanied them to that office I enquired the details and was told :

John completed the required form with photos, lease agreement in original & copy, bank balance certificate in original & copy etc..The Thai man behind the counter at the Jomtien immigration information desk pointed out that there were 2 weeks left to run. He refused to issue a queue number and asked John to "go away". As John was travelling he explained that extending the retirement visa for one year was something he wished to do before travelling overseas. Apparently the man behind the information desk was unmoved and waved John away pointing to the people waiting.

John turned to the new person (who replaced Barry, I gather). The new person (Jobsworth, I understand) was most unhelpful and rude to boot. Unable to even get a queue number; John was about to go to a visa agent in town and pay about THB 8k to have his visa extended plus immigration fees/charges. Quite unnecessary & expensive by the sounds of it. I returned to the Jomtien Immig Office and waving my finger insisted that we needed the visa renewed/extended right away and planned to go nowhere. We got a queue number from the now upset Thai man who sits behind the counter.

Staff stamping/renewing passports were polite & efficient. The difficulty is with the Thai man sitting behind the Jomtien Immigration Office infomation desk & the new Farang-helper ie: Jobsworth.

People should not have to struggle & have unpleasant experiences given we are dealing with very basic, brain-dead procedures which do not need a Masters degree to understand. Moreover, people are paying for the service.

Raises the question - Do the rude, unhelpful lackeys at the Information desk in Jomtien Immigration hope that visitors will use visa services in town if discouraged from attempting a self-renewal? Is it just rude self-importance or maybe boredom? Are the twosome looking for tea-money? After all these tiny visa outfits which have mushroomed around Pattaya have built a connect into immigration with 'generous tea-money' - ask anyone of the visa companies if you know the owners or watch the bag full of passports which come in whilst one is waiting.

Just some thoughts. Whatever the story there is no excuse for unhelpfulness or rudeness from people signing-up to provide a public service.

I would like some clarification on your report. When you say there were two weeks left to run, what do you mean EXACTLY? Do you mean there were two weeks before the expiration of current permission to stay? Or do you mean two weeks plus one month or two weeks plus two months? It is well known that applying for retirement extensions one month before expiration of stay is expected, standard, even encouraged. I had thought even two months early was still OK there without proof of travel or excuse. If you are really saying that Jomtien is turning away retirement extenders with as little at two weeks left on their permission to stay that is VERY BIG news. Frankly, I don't really believe that is their policy and I certainly hope not!

The Thai at the information desk has always been a sourpuss, his nature, or maybe hates dealing with farangs. He accepted the 2000 baht for my over stay, and said I needed to be careful next time. I didnt notice if he put the money in his pocket or in the desk, since I was happy to get by with just the 2k. Most other people at immigration are friendly enough, but since everyone has to deal with the information desk, it would improve the countries image by replacing him!

The Thai at the information desk has always been a sourpuss, his nature, or maybe hates dealing with farangs. He accepted the 2000 baht for my over stay, and said I needed to be careful next time. I didnt notice if he put the money in his pocket or in the desk, since I was happy to get by with just the 2k. Most other people at immigration are friendly enough, but since everyone has to deal with the information desk, it would improve the countries image by replacing him!

I'm surprised you were asked to pay at the information desk for an overstay fine - that sounds a bit strange. Was it an actual visa overstay for four days (@ B 500 per day) followed by a visa extension (@ B 1,900) or were you late making a 90 day report, which is a fixed B 2,000 fine if you are over the permitted one week late?