Will New Drinking Hours Lead To A Backlash?

davidm

Never mind foreign tourists voting with their feet, will protesting Thais cause the collapse of the Government?

Much has been written about how the new drinking and zoning rules will affect expats and tourists, but the vast majority of drinkers and those employed in the local entertainment industry are Thais.

People employed in breweries and distilleries, bars of all desription and restaurants, the tourism industry in general and even taxi drivers stand to lose out.

Also, as noted elsewhere, the drinkers may switch to parties at home, causing disturbances in previously quiet neighboods. The shorter licencing hours will lead to binge drinking and an increase in alcohol-related violence and road accidents.

As this Government is a coalition, might some members break away in protest once the consequences of this new rule become apparent?

Never mind foreign tourists voting with their feet, will protesting Thais cause the collapse of the Government?

Much has been written about how the new drinking and zoning rules will affect expats and tourists, but the vast majority of drinkers and those employed in the local entertainment industry are Thais.

People employed in breweries and distilleries, bars of all desription and restaurants, the tourism industry in general and even taxi drivers stand to lose out.

Also, as noted elsewhere, the drinkers may switch to parties at home, causing disturbances in previously quiet neighboods. The shorter licencing hours will lead to binge drinking and an increase in alcohol-related violence and road accidents.

As this Government is a coalition, might some members break away in protest once the consequences of this new rule become apparent?

Very true, the most affected will be the Thai people. The designated areas where the closing time will be 2 a.m. is a very, very small part of Bangkok.

Most of the Thai people go to other places that employ lot and lot of people and where the Thai usually stay far later than midnight,...

I would also guess that there will be some reaction and that the present government will not be the winner at the end,...

What I couldn't help but notice was that the most prominent, or rather, notorious areas where many of the types of forgieners (sex tourists) that Thais hate most congragate are still allowed to be open until 2am. With more tourists packing these areas, prices will move up, and possibly many locals will get squeezed out. This I can see leading to a backlash, not only against the government, but againt forgieners as well, even those of us who don't go near those places.

Special treatment for falungs buying sex from our daughters?

I'd be pisssed if it were my country.

cv

One other consequence that just occurred to me is a sizable increase in AIDS. If the new rules force many bars employing prostitutes out of business, the girls aren't going to head off to the nearest factory or farm and get a job. They'll go freelance. That means no more blood tests, no more education from NGOs and health officials, no more control. This means more AIDS patients in hospitals. There goes the national health budget.

What I couldn't help but notice was that the most prominent, or rather, notorious areas where many of the types of forgieners (sex tourists) that Thais hate most congragate are still allowed to be open until 2am. With more tourists packing these areas, prices will move up, and possibly many locals will get squeezed out. This I can see leading to a backlash, not only against the government, but againt forgieners as well, even those of us who don't go near those places.

cv

I doubt very much if "most Thais' hate so-called sex-tourists. If they do, it's only because they don't know what the term really means, and because some pinhead in the local sex, murder and scandal-sheet told them that they should.

Despite the malarky in your Lonely Planet, it is considered totally normal for Thai male tourists to sample the local lasses "wares" when traveling inside and outside of Thailand, and they expect us to do the same thing.

It is one of the nicest Thai customs, and one that I thoroughly approve of! :o

cv

Cdnvic,

Did you ever meet many farang in Ratchadapisek area and in RCA. I agree about Pat Pong but as far as I know, the designated areas cater mainly to the locals and are mainly ligned up with businesses owned by VERY well known or connected locals,...

Hmmm, why, why, why?

I doubt very much if "most Thais' hate so-called sex-tourists. If they do, it's only because they don't know what the term really means, and because some pinhead in the local sex, murder and scandal-sheet told them that they should.

Despite the malarky in your Lonely Planet, it is considered totally normal for Thai male tourists to sample the local lasses "wares" when traveling inside and outside of Thailand, and they expect us to do the same thing.

It is one of the nicest Thai customs, and one that I thoroughly approve of! :o

Don't have a lonely planet, guidebooks are fine for 18yr old backpackers but I find they don't know s**t about real life for most people.

Thais buying sex is fine, but I hear often from Thais that the general behaviour of these "kii noks" is what's most offensive. ######, even I think most of them are a bunch of rejects, but that wasn't the main point I was trying to make. It was that the designated zones seemed to be the hot tourist zones, and locals would be forced to go there and pay the higher prices rather than carry on in their own neighborhood. Other would be squeezed out of the 'hot zones' by higher prices the upsurge in demand that fewer open venues may lead to.

cv

There has been a post already about the meaning of "Kii Nok", and I have never heard it used by Thais in the way that you are trying to twist its meaning. Usually, the sort of fellows that hang around Pat-Pong just are the opposite of Kii Nok. They spend a lot of money on hotels, taxis, drink, sex and everything else, and are quite appreciated by most Thais that they come in contact with.

Kii Nok are really people like you and I, Farangs that live here, know too much and only pay 10 baht for a songtaew. Truth be known, to most Thais, we are the rejects!

Georgie Porgie, pudding and pie,

Kissed the bar girls and made them cry;

When the katoeys came out to play,

Georgie Porgie ran away with one but swears he's not gay

Actually, this it true, but I am not gay. I thought that it was a real girl because it was Huski's wife! :o

She's very friendly isn't she Georgie :D

I think that all louts get out of the way of English louts. My British friends despise them, and I have to say, they are the only drunken louts that I have seen in Thailand bothering innocent people just walking down the sidewalk/pavement past them.

Anyway, all is well. I saw Huski's wife with them again the next day, and although she was sporting a black eye, she was quite flirty and still seemed quite enamored of the whole crew

I think that all louts get out of the way of English louts. My British friends despise them, and I have to say, they are the only drunken louts that I have seen in Thailand bothering innocent people just walking down the sidewalk/pavement past them.

Anyway, all is well. I saw Huski's wife with them again the next day, and although she was sporting a black eye, she was quite flirty and still seemed quite enamored of the whole crew

Huski belted her for being with me....a real goer is Mrs H :o

I drink a lot in WS,and although the English guys are very boisterous,its more likely or not the Scandinavians who make the aggressive trouble,mainly due to much to drink,they treat the girls very rudely

If you ask most of the girls which nationality they prefer they will in most cases say english.

Huski belted her for being with me....a real goer is Mrs H :D

Mrs H. told me, that for the right guy, "every orifice functions". Do you think that this is the real deal, or just a dandy pick-up line? :o

ok, last one for now as i need to talk to my wife now and ask her where she has been for the last few hours and how you knew she was wearing a haltertop/mini skirt as she just came in the door.

georgie, lamphun and doctor pp were lost in the woods and they said lets all split up and if you find somthing whistle. So lamphun found a soda machine that said, "coke", "sprite", "pepsi" and "get a blowjob" so he put a dollar in and got a blowjob . Then doctor pp found the same machine and he got a blowjob too. When they all met up, georgie said did you find anything? lamphun and doctor pp said no but georgie said well I just made two bucks.