Any Spearfishers In Koh Phangan?

TonyJackson

Did not see any fish big enough to spear at Koh Pagnan. I think you will have to try distant places where there are no scuba divers . They seem to scare all the fish away with the air bubbles they exhale. I have never been able to get near a fish using SCUBA. I used to get 100kgs of fish a day off Pattaya by spearfishing in the early sixties, but those days are long gone.

I'm not really after the big fish. I want just enough to feed me and my fiancee on a daily basis, although she could eat a horse. God knows where she puts it!

Koh maa and Had Salad have some big fish, Grouper, barracuda. Problem is its so busy with divers and snorkelers sooner or later your bound to have an accident.

My problem is that I find Spearfishing by myself quite lonely, so I'm still going to the Koh Maa area quite alot without the gun and just freediving,

which is just fine as the ocean still blows my mind.

• 4 months later...

Do you know of any tour operators or fishermen that can take you out spearfishing? We're here on vacation and my husband has ALWAYS wanted to try fishing with a "Hawaiian Sling." I think he really wants to be on Survivor... without starving and lying for a month.

If you have any info I would appreciate it. I'd like to get it set up for this week, July 18th. We're staying on Samui but there are plenty of ferries to the other islands.

Thanks!

Robin