Pongsapat Widens Lead Against Sukhumbhand In Bangkok Governor's Election

webfact

Where are the frothers? strange question!

Anyway we have solved the problem as follows:

"BANGKOK: -- The Television Pool of Thailand and eight mainstream TV stations will be joining up to provide real-time results of the Bangkok gubernatorial election on March 3.

The information will be gathered and disseminated by Nation Multimedia Group's Nation Broadcasting Corporation (NBC)."

http://www.thaivisa....3/#entry6131676

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are the frothers? strange question!

There's a rich and proud tradition for the use of that strange word.

:coffee1:

Anyway, on the subject of polls, it'll be good to reach that rapidly approaching date of next Sunday, February 24th....

In a separate poll involving 250,000 registered voters in Bangkok and all provinces revealed that 98.7% of those polled felt that the most anticipated event that they looked forward to the most regarding the Bangkok Governor race is to occur on February 24th.

Election Commission bans releasing poll results 7 days before election

BANGKOK, (NNT) - The Election Commission (EC), Bangkok Office, is banning the release of opinion polls during the seven days leading up to the March 3 gubernatorial election.

http://61.19.244.31/...OL5602040010006

• Like 1

What's the excuse now from the frothers??

Previously we've had;

Bangkokians are too educated & smart to vote PT

Bangkokians will never forget who terrorised & burnt their city

Bangkokians won't vote PT because they can't be bought

Bangkokians won't vote PT because they hate the murderous fugitive villain

Well, just like in the last election, you have all proved that you have a very limited understanding of the Thai electorate & politics. Similar to the Democrat party.

Don't generalize too much PPD, CII, triplet, P Diddy, and Rich teacher (please feel free to ad some names) It might hurt your credibility.

40% haven't made up their mind and not everybody's life was terrorized, just of a few million and they (if allowed to vote) might not vote PT.

Let's wait and see.

Edited by Nickymaster

Previously we've had;

Well, just like in the last election, you have all proved that you have a very limited understanding of the Thai electorate & politics. Similar to the Democrat party.

Even before the PTP candidate has won, preparations are well under way by all the PTP / red shirt supporters on the forum, to brush under the carpet all the derisory comments made about the people of Bangkok, all of the broad sweeping generalizations about the rich and selfish middle class that live there who are set on keeping the lower classes down and in their place, all of dismissive remarks about how the Democrats winning Bangkok means very little, to be swiftly replaced with proclamations about how significant a PTP victory in Bangkok will be, about how telling it is that educated and smart Thais, apparently no longer evil people, vote PTP.

Of course if PTP candidate doesn't win, it'll be straight back to all of the derisory stuff...

• Like 2

Previously we've had;

Even before the PTP candidate has won, preparations are well under way by all the PTP / red shirt supporters on the forum, to brush under the carpet all the derisory comments made about the people of Bangkok, all of the broad sweeping generalizations about the rich and selfish middle class that live there who are set on keeping the lower classes down and in their place, all of dismissive remarks about how the Democrats winning Bangkok means very little, to be swiftly replaced with proclamations about how significant a PTP victory in Bangkok will be, about how telling it is that educated and smart Thais, apparently no longer evil people, vote PTP.

Of course if PTP candidate doesn't win, it'll be straight back to all of the derisory stuff...

Well I suppose I fall into the category of forum member you have in mind.Personally I would be ashamed to have written such mindless stuff and I suspect in your heart of hearts rather regret it.By the way what exactly are these "preparations well under way" you talk about ?

My take on the election is as follows.Firstly I think it perfectly possible that Sukhumband could win.Bangkok is now the Democrats natural habitat and I'm also very conscious that opinion polls at the last general election badly underestimated Democrat support.Sukhumband in these last days of campaigning needs to consolidate support and above all get his followers out on election day.I will admit to some ignorance on why even some Democrats see him as a weak candidate.On an anecdotal basis most of my Thai friends and associates are solidly behind him.I suspect the reservations may lie with his somewhat detached personality, and a preference for someone else who is more results oriented.But I claim no special knowledge on this and it would be interesting to hear what others feel.

As to the significance of a hypothetical PTP win I am dubious as to how much can be translated to the national political scene.Boris Johnson won in London which is not natural Tory territory, and similarly a Pongsapat victory doesn't mean that those who vote for him now wouldn't vote a different way at a general election.

Your comments about brushing previously held views under the carpet are plain silly.Whatever the precise election result there will be almost certainly be something like a 55:45 split.Thus the people (the rich and selfish middle class to use your expression) who loathe all the PTP stands for will presumably gather under the Democrat banner.As always in an election the victor must make it clear he will work for everybody.Whoever wins is likely to win only by a small margin, so I doubt whether plausible claims of great significance can be made one way or the other.Your comments also show you really don't understand the social dynamics behind the PTP electoral success.It would be impossible simply based on poor uneducated farmers and needs, and always needed, very solid support from the lower middle class and middle class - the bedrock of Thailand.Incidentally you repeat the schoolboy clanger equating "educated" and "smart" - that's just patronising and ignorant rubbish.

Equally you seem very muddled about the concept of keeping the lower classes in their place.It's true that old habits of deference are breaking down but this has nothing to do with the Bangkok middle class.I do think that some elements of the middle class have behaved myopically particularly in relation to supporting PAD and other quasi fascist movements.However I also understand their fear which in many cases is compounded by ethnic hubris.In any case we are only talking about a minority.

I still find the poll results hard to believe. And yet, it seems more and more likely that the PTP are building support throughout the land except in the thoroughly corrupt south.

As opposed to the moderately corrupt north, the above average corrupt northeast, the typically corrupt central, the outrageously corrupt east, and the marginally corrupt mid-south?

Seriously, are their statistics on corruptibility by region to legitimize your joke?

Unfortunately, the south still holds the crown for corruption. Nothing mysterious in it either, as it is a reflection of there being more opportunity to engage in corrupt activity and years of one party control of the local administrations.. The Rohingya refugees are not heading to Pattaya or Hua Hin. Phuket's 25% cost difference is in large part the cost of corruption. If Udon Thani had an opportunity for jet ski touts, things might be different, but they are not. It costs just as much to transport commercial goods to Chiang Mai and it costs more to ship to Chiang Rai , and yet the costs of goods and services are significantly less in these areas, than say in Kata. With lower costs there are fewer opportunities to gouge and skim with gusto as is done in Patong. Chiang Mai is an extremely popular tourist destination, but the price differential with Phuket doesn't reflect that. By your logic, I should argue that because Chiang Mai is a PTP stronghold, the corruption is less. However, that isn't my point. There is corruption in Chiang Mai, but it's not as over the top and out of control as it is down in Phuket or Koh Samui. You can deny it as much as you want, but the corruption in the south is inextricably linked to the long term presence of the Democrats' positions of power in the region. This doesn't mean that there isn't corruption elsewhere. However, as much as you and others want to take potshots at he PTP and the PM, there hasn't been one corruption scandal associated with the current administration. How many crises of confidence involving alleged improprieties were there with the previous Democrat administration after 18 months in office? And yet, the government you ridicule and denigrate, hasn't become mired in allegations of profiteering or kickbacks. Ridicule the PM all you want, but she's done a better job at running the country than the dithering puppet Abhisit ever did.

• Like 2

I still find the poll results hard to believe. And yet, it seems more and more likely that the PTP are building support throughout the land except in the thoroughly corrupt south.

As opposed to the moderately corrupt north, the above average corrupt northeast, the typically corrupt central, the outrageously corrupt east, and the marginally corrupt mid-south?

Seriously, are their statistics on corruptibility by region to legitimize your joke?

Unfortunately, the south still holds the crown for corruption. Nothing mysterious in it either, as it is a reflection of there being more opportunity to engage in corrupt activity and years of one party control of the local administrations.. The Rohingya refugees are not heading to Pattaya or Hua Hin. Phuket's 25% cost difference is in large part the cost of corruption. If Udon Thani had an opportunity for jet ski touts, things might be different, but they are not. It costs just as much to transport commercial goods to Chiang Mai and it costs more to ship to Chiang Rai , and yet the costs of goods and services are significantly less in these areas, than say in Kata. With lower costs there are fewer opportunities to gouge and skim with gusto as is done in Patong. Chiang Mai is an extremely popular tourist destination, but the price differential with Phuket doesn't reflect that. By your logic, I should argue that because Chiang Mai is a PTP stronghold, the corruption is less. However, that isn't my point. There is corruption in Chiang Mai, but it's not as over the top and out of control as it is down in Phuket or Koh Samui. You can deny it as much as you want, but the corruption in the south is inextricably linked to the long term presence of the Democrats' positions of power in the region. This doesn't mean that there isn't corruption elsewhere. However, as much as you and others want to take potshots at he PTP and the PM, there hasn't been one corruption scandal associated with the current administration. How many crises of confidence involving alleged improprieties were there with the previous Democrat administration after 18 months in office? And yet, the government you ridicule and denigrate, hasn't become mired in allegations of profiteering or kickbacks. Ridicule the PM all you want, but she's done a better job at running the country than the dithering puppet Abhisit ever did.

I'm not "argue that Chiang Mai..."

I'm not "deny as much as you want"

I'm not even "ridicule and denigrate the PM" in my post.

I just simply asked you if you have statistics to legitimize your joke of a post.

You don't.

Now that that's been cleared up, I can resume laughing at it.

Thank you.

cheesy.gif

Edited by Buchholz

there hasn't been one corruption scandal associated with the current administration.

And yet, the government you ridicule and denigrate, hasn't become mired in allegations of profiteering or kickbacks.

My god Gk what planet have you been living on for the last 18 months?!!! What ever it is that would be causing these delusions, please seek medical help ASAP, as in, go to the hospital right now.

• Like 1

That final sentence says it all GK.

Spot on.

Although this is about two candidates for the Bangkok Governor position, politics and main political parties seem to really be the forces behind the action. Therefore let's have a look at the corruption involved.

Unlike some who seem to suggest that the South of Thailand severely lowers Thailands corruption rating spoiling things for the rest of the country, Thai seem to think it's just ingrained in their culture. Some even don't mind corrupt politicians as long as they also profit.

From 2012-12-10

"Experts agree that widespread corruption acceptance in a society leads to social malaise. They say it can only be fixed by education from an early age and promoting the idea that responsible citizens make up the base of a progressive Thailand."

http://www.presstv.c...-by-corruption/

2011-08-12 (sorry, a poll, results therefor doubtful :-))

"69 percent of the people polled believed that something must be done about the problem. Only 9.6 percent said that they thought the corruption problem wasn't serious. 24 percent said that they would not take any action to deal with corruption and 7 percent said they have no problem with corruption."

http://www.coconutsb...lerm-the-worst/

• Like 1

I just simply asked you if you have statistics to legitimize your joke of a post.

You don't.

Thank you.

cheesy.gif

I'm not speak even the English much well...............

• Like 1

You don't.

Thank you.

cheesy.gif

I'm not speak even the English much well...............

Try spending less time on your visa runs and more time at school then

there hasn't been one corruption scandal associated with the current administration.

And yet, the government you ridicule and denigrate, hasn't become mired in allegations of profiteering or kickbacks.

My god Gk what planet have you been living on for the last 18 months?!!! What ever it is that would be causing these delusions, please seek medical help ASAP, as in, go to the hospital right now.

Ok, Please list the corruption scandals. The police building affair was a legacy of the Democrat administration. It was the incumbent Democrat governor that is mired in the issue of the BTS servicing contract shenanigans. It is the military and southern government officials that are tainted by the Rohingya exploitation, so please do tell me about what big corruption case has occurred under the Yingluck administration.

• Like 1

Ok, Please list the corruption scandals. The police building affair was a legacy of the Democrat administration. It was the incumbent Democrat governor that is mired in the issue of the BTS servicing contract shenanigans. It is the military and southern government officials that are tainted by the Rohingya exploitation, so please do tell me about what big corruption case has occurred under the Yingluck administration.

Selective memory syndrome.

Or put it another way: 'a shinawtra can do no wrong'.

It just shows how immature Thais are - politically. The very same people who almost burned the city down, caused chaos and havoc in the city, which resulted in loss of human lives as well as billions of USD damage, are going to be voted to govern the great city of Bangkok. Ordinary Thais are so corruptable. Vote buying is rife and nothing gets done about it.

The big daddy fooled them with the mobile phones, a little sister is fooling them with the car rebate.

• Like 1

That final sentence says it all GK.

Spot on.

The only thing she has done is spend money and travel. Let's wait and see the consequences of all this in the years to come.

Populism keeps PT and Thaksin alive but not for ever.

Don't be too happy too fast.

Previously we've had;

Don't generalize too much PPD, CII, triplet, P Diddy, and Rich teacher (please feel free to ad some names) It might hurt your credibility.

40% haven't made up their mind and not everybody's life was terrorized, just of a few million and they (if allowed to vote) might not vote PT.

Let's wait and see.

February 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Pheu Thai Party candidate Pongsaspat Pongcharoen has maintained his lead in the opinion polls as the run-up to the election for Bangkok governor moves into its final two weeks.

A Suan Dusit Poll survey conducted from February 14 to 17 among 4,393 respondents showed Pongsapat ahead of Democrat candidate Sukhumbhand Paribatra by a sizeable margin of 46 per cent to 32 per cent.

However the margin of Pongsapat's lead was much smaller in a Nida poll conducted among 1,485 respondents on Monday and Tuesday, with 26 per cent saying they would vote for Pongsapat, 25 per cent for Sukhumbhand and 36 per cent undecided.

Pongsapat's popularity rating is higher than other candidates in north and east Bangkok, including Thon Buri, while Sukhumbhand scores higher in central Bangkok.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Pongsapat-retains-lead-30200425.html

I am not going to waste a lot of time here, because you and a few others are so "willfully ignorant" and you will defend your beloved Puppet PM like a Mongrel defending food.

So go ahead and defend away.

http://www.thaivisa....d-in-graft-dsi/

http://www.thaivisa....cheme-thailand/

http://www.thaivisa....urb-corruption/

http://www.nationmul...w-30200176.html

http://news.voicetv....lish/30856.html

There is a short list for you GK and the other defenders of the Puppet Princess Yingluck.

Edited by dcutman
  • Like 1

I am not going to waste a lot of time here, because you and a few others are so "willfully ignorant" and you will defend your beloved Puppet PM like a Mongrel defending food.

There is a short list for you GK and the other defenders of the Puppet Princess Yingluck.

Bang, those cases alone must be costing the taxpayer at least a few HUNDRED BILLION a year!

In fact it is sad that there are still people around who want us to believe that this government is not corrupt.

We can see with our own eyes that PT under Yingluck is corrupt as hell. Who are they fooling??

Edited by Nickymaster

Bang, those cases alone must be costing the taxpayer at least a few HUNDRED BILLION a year!

In fact it is sad that there are still people around who want us to believe that this government is not corrupt.

Who are they fooling??

Evidently they are are fooling only themselves. Edited by Pimay1
  • Like 1

We can see with our own eyes that PT under Yingluck is corrupt as hell. Who are they fooling??

Like I said, willfully Ignorant, it is the only way to describe these RED supporters. Well not the only way!

Well I suppose I fall into the category of forum member you have in mind.Personally I would be ashamed to have written such mindless stuff and I suspect in your heart of hearts rather regret it.By the way what exactly are these "preparations well under way" you talk about ?

No, i didn't particularly have you in mind, although it is fair to say you certainly are one of those who enjoys making sweeping derisory generalizations about certain significant segments of the Thai population, particularly certain segments within Bangkok. Perhaps you should consider first what you have to be ashamed of writing, before worrying about other people..

Anyway, the preparations i speak of, are those being made by red sympathizers who having spent the last several years speaking with utter disdain for many Bangkokians whom they consider, as repeatedly expressed on here, to be uncaring evil rich middle and upper class Chinese elites. Now, as they sniff a possible victory coming their way in the capital city, they prepare to do a complete about turn, and welcome these "evil" people into "their fold"; to make the switch from dismissing these people's views and their votes as unimportant and unrepresentative, to proclaiming and celebrating these people's perceived views and these people's votes as being of great significance. Out of the window, and hopefully quickly forgotten, will been thrown comments like just because the people of Bangkok are educated, doesn't mean they are smart, to be swiftly replaced by, if educated Thai people support PTP, there you go then, PTP really must be doing a good job, because those educated people really know a thing or two.

• Like 2

The seethe on here when Pongsapat wins will be palpable.

Won't match the hysterics after the general election but it will be close.

Back when you were reading the forum on here as a guest, eh?

coffee1.gif

No, John. it was probably back when you were posting under your other.

You know the expression about the pot calling the kettle black? You would do well to consider it.

coffee1.gif

A simple check of profiles shows I was here last year as a member, Fred.

coffee1.gif

A simple check of profiles shows I was here last year as a member, Fred.

More bickering, Buchholz?

No, i didn't particularly have you in mind, although it is fair to say you certainly are one of those who enjoys making sweeping derisory generalizations about certain significant segments of the Thai population, particularly certain segments within Bangkok. Perhaps you should consider first what you have to be ashamed of writing, before worrying about other people..

Anyway, the preparations i speak of, are those being made by red sympathizers who having spent the last several years speaking with utter disdain for many Bangkokians whom they consider, as repeatedly expressed on here, to be uncaring evil rich middle and upper class Chinese elites. Now, as they sniff a possible victory coming their way in the capital city, they prepare to do a complete about turn, and welcome these "evil" people into "their fold"; to make the switch from dismissing these people's views and their votes as unimportant and unrepresentative, to proclaiming and celebrating these people's perceived views and these people's votes as being of great significance. Out of the window, and hopefully quickly forgotten, will been thrown comments like just because the people of Bangkok are educated, doesn't mean they are smart, to be swiftly replaced by, if educated Thai people support PTP, there you go then, PTP really must be doing a good job, because those educated people really know a thing or two.

Huh? I am one of the people that is still surprised by the strong showing of the PTP candidate, and I still think that many of the people voicing support for the candidate are not allowed to vote in Bangkok. Unless all of the people from the other regions that have moved for work in Bangkok have now become registered Bangkok voters, it will be a difficult victory. That being said, there are millions of people in the Bangkok region. Most are have nots and it is a minority that live in the gltzy homes and have lots of money. Most of the people are earning low wages and working as the service staff in the shops or providing the services that make life easy for some. They have a hard life. Bangkok is a region of haves and have nots. Perhaps, the have nots see in the PTP candidate a chance to make their voices heard. I don't know. What I do know is that a great many people have come around to the PTP. I saw it in Hua Hin in January at a reception where the well heeled were doing the best to ingratiate themselves with some government ministers. People change and voting districts change. Constituency demographics change over time and parties can lose control of previously safe seats. The most stunning example of this is the Republican stronghold of Texas. As hispanics grow in numbers, the elected officals are beginning to reflect that change. In the words of the Village People, you can't stop the music.