Where To Buy Good Malt Whisky...

ScotsExpat

Best to buy at BKK airport on the way back to Bangkok. Ardbeg is around 2,000 baht and there are many others.

Not an option, unless the duty free price is so much cheaper than elsewhere that it pays to take a quick flight out and back..!!!

Also, what will the customs guys let you thru with at the airport?

Best to buy at BKK airport on the way back to Bangkok. Ardbeg is around 2,000 baht and there are many others.

Not an option, unless the duty free price is so much cheaper than elsewhere that it pays to take a quick flight out and back..!!!

Also, what will the customs guys let you thru with at the airport?

You gotta leave the country some time. I have never been stopped in 20 years

The bottle shop upstairs in Emporium Sukhumvit has a good supply of Malt.

I am sure it would be similar for shop at Siam Paragon.

Emporium, is that the place opp. Soi 33?

More like opposite Soi 37, but yes that big shopping centrte.

I used to buy a bottle of Macallan for 2600 at Topps. Now Topps doesn't stock it, nor does Emporium or other department stores I've looked. They all used to have it, but the only place I've seen it recently is at Villa Market for 3300. They also have the 18 yo for around 6000. These are for 700ml. Does anyone know where I can get a better price for Macallan? I'm particular about my whisky.

https://www.google.com/search?q=single+malt+site%3Athaivisa.com&oq=single+malt+site%3Athaivisa.com&aqs=chrome.0.57.7384&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Duty Free on arrival at SBIA, albeit with a limited selection, can offer some bargains when you consider you are getting 1 liter vs. 700 mL in town - ~ 43% more volume for the same or slightly less cost.

I got a 1 L bottle of the Glenfiddich 15 year/Solera Saturday evening on arrival, in the baggage carousel area, for 1,880 THB. They used to have Macallan (12) but I honestly did not look for it.

post-9615-0-70745100-1361757550_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

I recently picked up a bottle of Laphroaig Qtr. cask at bkk duty free for around 2k thb.

Also picked up a Macallan Select Oak for around the same price. Both 1 ltr bottles and reasonably priced in my opinion.

Last week I found a bottle of Glenfarclas 105 in Manilla airport for 80usd which was also very reasonable for such a good dram.

• Like 1

Yes, the savings, at least on some premium items, at SBIA/Duty Free on arrival can be significant.

I saw the Glenfiddich 15/Solera in a shop today: 2,440 baht for 700 mL, an equivalent price of 3,485 baht for 1 L. Nearly twice the DF price of 1,880 baht.