Business Internet

davofromoz

I don't know, but I would be interested to know as well.

Although I suspect you will be more successful using multilink WAN with several providers if you got enough coverage, because I doubt the terms of the SLA will be observed, and you probably won't have a lot of options to switch provider if the SLA isn't fulfilled.

• Like 1

This just my $.02. I don't see any ISP honoring any kind of SLA as you'd find in a Western country. Down time assurance? Time to repair assurance? Bandwidth assurance? If you get such an agreement, just wait for the excuses and frankly, the "we don't real care" treatment.

I need 100% up time, a registered domain name, static IP etc., and I host it in the US with a host who will dedicate a server to one domain, with a backup.

There is no reason to host a site in Thailand. It is, after all, the www. At the very least I would have it hosted in Singapore.

What broadband options you have available depends entirely on your location. I agree with Manarak that your best bet for reliability is a combination of ISP's, perhaps with a load balancing router.

I've had 2 ADSL lines (from different providers) for years and apart from power cuts there has never been a situation where both connections were down.

Since ADSL is limited to approx 1Mbps upload, your options will be DOCSIS or VDSL from TRUE or FTTH from either TOT or 3BB. Though 2 load balanced ADSL lines should give you close to 2 Mbps upload.

There are commercial solutions available too but they are usually seriously expensive compared to regular broadband.

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

I will be at Khoa Takiab, very near Hua Hin. Do you know of any commercial solutions, the expense may be worth it to avoid interuptions and gain upload speed.

In any case I will (as a backup) look into the 2 ADSL line option as you suggest its very rare both are down at the same time.

Thanks guys,

I will be at Khoa Takiab, very near Hua Hin. Do you know of any commercial solutions, the expense may be worth it to avoid interuptions and gain upload speed.

In any case I will (as a backup) look into the 2 ADSL line option as you suggest its very rare both are down at the same time.

Sorry, I'm in BKK and have no idea what options are available in Prachuab. Perhaps if you post in the Hua Hin forum someone can answer your question.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/34-hua-hin-cha-am-forum/

What broadband options you have available depends entirely on your location. I agree with Manarak that your best bet for reliability is a combination of ISP's, perhaps with a load balancing router.

Doesn't this cause problems where the remote site doesn't know to which IP it should to send the traffic -or some problems with secure sites ? Example; Log into your Internet Banking and then reset your router (new IP). Can you then continue without logging back in ? I can't and not many other secure sites will work for me with a changing IP address.

I can only see this working transparently if you have two static IPs and register them in the public DNS.

edit: Do you use load balancing routers, Dork & manarak ?

-sorry so many edits.

Edited by RandomSand

Doesn't this cause problems where the remote site doesn't know to which IP it should to send the traffic -or some problems with secure sites ? Example; Log into your Internet Banking and then reset your router (new IP). Can you then continue without logging back in ? I can't and not many other secure sites will work for me with a changing IP address.

I can only see this working transparently if you have two static IPs and register them in the public DNS.

edit: Do you use load balancing routers, Dork & manarak ?

-sorry so many edits.

I don't use a load balancing router anymore partly because both my ADSL lines are very reliable nowadays and also because the bandwidth of each of them has increased so much in recent years. Now I prefer to switch gateways on various machines depending on what I'm doing. For example, download on one and browse with the other.

But in the past (when ADSL wasn't what it is now) I did use a Cisco load balancer for several years. I don't recall any problems with internet banking etc, though I do get your point about 2 external IP addresses.

Those routers are pretty commonplace and you would think this would be an issue but I haven't heard of it. Perhaps they are intelligent enough to route all https requests through a single connection?

• Like 1

I should add that the main reason I used those dual wan routers in the old days wasn't so much to combine bandwidth but because the modems were very prone to dropping the ADSL sync and the only way to fix that was to manually reset them. That's not so much of an issue when you're onsite but it's a problem when you need to connect to the server by VPN from outside. In that case, with the dual wan I was able to connect on one line to reset the other.

Everything has improved with ADSL nowadays and I find that when using an ADSL modem in bridge mode to a separate router, the ADSL sync never fails.

You probably need leased line but you can end up paying 20-30k THB per month. Very expensive indeed... Banks and big corporates using it.

Alternative choices are business packages from CAT telecom on fiber or synchron dsl like vdsl or g.shdsl but they also around 5-6k THB per month.

It depends on the location where you are, the fiber would be the best choice for you, and if you need good internet you have to stay in big city instead of rural areas.

SLA i dont think it exist in thailand in the practice...

I know someone who pay 20k per month in bkk for leased line and they get 50mbit download from any international sources, upload speed not so sure but surely better then the public packages and the downtime literally zero.

Not sure about what you want to achieve but if you get a virtual server in bangkok with a 100mbit/s connection they have good upload speed too and you can use remote admin to login to that server or create VPN to it but again the physical limits are there from your provider based on your package. Anyway you can use this solution to have a good upload speed too because its dedicated for you.

• Like 2

We use Kirz in Pattaya for a leased line.

25k per month for 2M/2M.

Expensive, not that fast but reliable.

International ping and response times are certainly much faster than any ADSL.

Yes it does go down occasionally and we get around 1000 baht off our bill for every hour it is down, as per the SLA that they do honour.

Think we have had around 3 outages with a combined total of around 6 hours in a year and a half.

All of our online servers are in Singapore though, the only servers we run in Thailand are for internal use.

• Like 1

Thanks too dork, manarak and huahinjoe. I have passed your comments to my it guy in Australia .

Btw can anyone suggest or recommend a really good reliable it company I can contract too so I can buy the hardware and they can network it all up for me. My office is in khao takiab near hua hin, I need it done start of may but I would like to meet them this Friday or Thursday if possible to discuss my requirements. I need the company on board so I can request them on tap if need be.

Thanks too dork, manarak and huahinjoe. I have passed your comments to my it guy in Australia .

Btw can anyone suggest or recommend a really good reliable it company I can contract too so I can buy the hardware and they can network it all up for me. My office is in khao takiab near hua hin, I need it done start of may but I would like to meet them this Friday or Thursday if possible to discuss my requirements. I need the company on board so I can request them on tap if need be.

One of the forum sponsors http://www.invadeit.co.th/ is based in Hua Hin and would certainly have the hardware. Don't know if they do any offsite work but I guess they could point you in the right direction. I've bought stuff from them (even when it has to be shipped to BKK) and the service has been very good.