No Plan To Cut Noise Pollution From Governor Candidates

Lite Beer

No plan to cut noise pollution from governor candidates
Pravit Rojanaphruk
The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- The coordinator of a civic group pushing for the reduction of noise pollution in Bangkok said none of the city governor candidates seems to have paid much attention to the issue - but the group is making inroads in reducing noise by talking directly to its target groups.

Oraya Sutabutr, coordinator of the Quiet Bangkok group, said candidates do not appear to recognise the issue as a problem for Bangkokians. "They don't seem to get it and do not see it as a problem. Many also think noise and big cities are part and parcel."

The group has lobbied and persuaded building owners ranging from five-star hotels to department stores to cease the use of traffic whistles and has been successful in areas such as Rajprasong Intersection and beyond. Oraya cited the Intercontinental Hotel near Rajprasong as a successful example along with the riverfront Shangri La Hotel, whose Irish general manager has been particularly cooperative and understanding. Both hotels have done away with noisy traffic whistles, which Oraya argued is also conducive to a more pleasant environment for its guests as well and not just the community.

But the group has so far failed to make inroads in a bid to convince the BTS Skytrain operator to lower the volume of its television advertisements inside its carriages as well as on its platforms.

"There's been no progress over the past seven years."

Increasingly, said Oraya, noise pollution is being generated by schools. This ranges from noisy blaring of the national anthem and prayers through loud speakers. The group has so far tried but failed to convince premier schools such as Bangkok Christian College to reduce the noise level.

Oraya admits that there's a need to revise related environmental laws. Currently, an environmental regulation specifies that the average noise level for each 24 hours emanating from buildings should not exceed 80 decibels. She said the regulation doesn't provide adequate protection as it averaged out extreme noise pollution during some periods of the day with the hours where there's no noise activity at all.

Outside Bangkok, Oraya singled out open-door karaoke bars as a source of severe noise pollution in the provinces while in cities like Pattaya and Chiang Mai, the level of noise pollution is catching up with Bangkok.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-24

Oraya Sutabutr, coordinator of the Quiet Bangkok group, said candidates do not appear to recognize the issue as a problem for Bangkokians. "They don't seem to get it and do not see it as a problem. Many also think noise and big cities are part and parcel." The name sounds Thai, but I bet most of the impulse and momentum behind the group is farang. I've never (in 25 yrs) seen a Thai take a public initiative endeavor to lessen noise in this very loud country. It's always been only farang who have the gall to speak up about noise pollution.

Pass another law! More money for the BIB! Why not do like Malawi and invoke a law for farting in public. Pass gas pay 200 baht! The circus just goes on and on.

yeah, I know, it's enforcement is where it falls apart.

Would not want the job of fart police officer in Malawi, although I'm sure it would be a real gas!

Oraya Sutabutr, coordinator of the Quiet Bangkok group, said candidates do not appear to recognize the issue as a problem for Bangkokians. "They don't seem to get it and do not see it as a problem. Many also think noise and big cities are part and parcel." The name sounds Thai, but I bet most of the impulse and momentum behind the group is farang. I've never (in 25 yrs) seen a Thai take a public initiative endeavor to lessen noise in this very loud country. It's always been only farang who have the gall to speak up about noise pollution.

I would imagine Oraya maybe spent some time abroad? Anyway, I know many Thais who, while maybe not taking up the flag, DO hate noise, and they'll voluntarily write about it in writing classes or talk about it as something they don't like about Bangkok. Unfortunately, they're the silent majority.

[rimshot, crash]

I would imagine Oraya maybe spent some time abroad? Anyway, I know many Thais who, while maybe not taking up the flag, DO hate noise, and they'll voluntarily write about it in writing classes or talk about it as something they don't like about Bangkok. Unfortunately, they're the silent majority.

[rimshot, crash]

They need to speak up a bit, & make themselves heard above the din.

It's not just BKK, the whole country needs muffling.... bah.gif

• Like 1

Oraya Sutabutr, coordinator of the Quiet Bangkok group, said candidates do not appear to recognize the issue as a problem for Bangkokians. "They don't seem to get it and do not see it as a problem. Many also think noise and big cities are part and parcel."

The name sounds Thai, but I bet most of the impulse and momentum behind the group is farang. I've never (in 25 yrs) seen a Thai take a public initiative endeavor to lessen noise in this very loud country. It's always been only farang who have the gall to speak up about noise pollution.

[rimshot, crash]

Agree, and that's my point. If Thais want to be seen as more than wannabe moderns slathered with whitening cream, they need to first; find out how they can improve their living conditions (i.e. they don't need to accept excessive noise, etc) and then buck their self-hobbling taboo of never being confrontational (Thaksin's Red Shirts excepted). drum roll, tom tom, crasssssh

Today I only noticed pickups with (loud) speakers three times. All the #9 candidate

Was sat in park yesterday morning having breakfast by the lake when one of these noddies shattered the peace with loud terrible music and slogans. Still going on when left 30 minutes later. Roll on next week.

Edited by Bluespunk

For the past 2 months I have had to listen to 2 competing candidates blaring campaign songs from speakers mounted on pick ups. My windows actually shake as they pass. They start at 6am and finish at 6pm. They are so loud, that you can hear them from miles away....so literally 12 hours a day for 60 days. The CIA used this tactic to drive the barricaded criminal Manuel Noriega from his compound. I can't believe that the locals put up with it, I also can't believe the candidates think this is a great way to campaign.Thank God the election is over here in my moo ban, I was formulating evil plans of destruction.

Now I can enjoy the solitude of the local temple blaring the news and reading the list of donations at 5am , from the speaker mounted on the utility pole across from my bedroom.

I still would rather be here than anywhere else though.

But the group has so far failed to make inroads in a bid to convince the BTS Skytrain operator to lower the volume of its television advertisements inside its carriages as well as on its platforms.

"There's been no progress over the past seven years."

No surprises there. It seems to me that the volume is in fact louder than ever before.

Edited by arthurboy
  • Like 1

Today I only noticed pickups with (loud) speakers three times. All the #9 candidate

Was sat in park yesterday morning having breakfast by the lake when one of these noddies shattered the peace with loud terrible music and slogans. Still going on when left 30 minutes later. Roll on next week.

I can't believe that the locals put up with it,

I know, it's phenomenal what Thais will tolerate. It harkens to their 'never question authority' syndrome, and also; never cause anyone to 'lose face'. I they were to complain, then the perpetrator would get offended, then angry, then vengeful. So it's easier and less hassle for Thais to not openly complain about anything - no matter how annoying.