Driver License Thai - Valid Abroad?

challenger99

Few years agao I changed my paper driver license to a Thai driver license in credit card format from plastic.

In the office of Land and Transport they informed me, that this driver license is valid over all ASEAN countries

as an international driver license.

Until now no problem in Cambodia, Laos (for car and motorbike) and even Vietnam (for motorbike only).

Few weeks ago I was stopped by the Indonesian police and they fine me with 20 US-$ and said Thai Driver

License isn't valid in any ASEAN country except Thailand! All foreigner (Bule) need an international one.

Somebody here know sure if Thai Driver License is really only valid in Thailand or abroad too???

And if, where is it written? For print out and show next time to any police.

Thank you for co-operation wai2.gif

post-98550-0-17288500-1361766554_thumb.j

I suppose it's whether you paid the police on the spot or at the police station.??

Maybe call this guy.biggrin.png

Khun-Kosin-Weerananthanaphan-300x271.jpg

Kosin Weerananthanaphan is new head of Banglamung Transportation Authority

Anyone holding a valid Thai driving licence can now use it in nine other countries without the need to obtain an international permit. These countries are Mynamar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore and the Philippines which, together with Thailand, make up the 10 country ASEAN economic grouping.

Citizens of these countries, together with foreign nationals holding a driving permit issued by any member state, are now able to drive in all member countries for as long as the licence is valid. Thailand issues separate licences to drive cars and motorbikes so Thais and foreigners need to have the appropriate permit for the category of vehicle they intend to drive abroad. For those who prefer, international licences can still be used for driving in Thailand and throughout ASEAN.

Kosin Weeranthanaphan, new head of the Banglamung transportation authority which is situated behind the International School of the Regents, said, “Both foreigners and Thais can take advantage of this move by the ASEAN countries to simplify day-to-day procedures. From 2015 China, South Korea and Japan will be added to the list of countries where a driver’s licence issued in an ASEAN country can be used.”

The transportation head also reminded foreign applicants of the documents needed to obtain a Thai driving licence – original passport and valid visa + photocopy, two photographs, a recent certificate of residence issued by the Immigration Bureau and a doctor’s certificate not more than one month old. Applicants also receive information on current traffic regulations in Thailand and take a competency examination currently available in Thai, English, Chinese, Japanese and Arabic. Successful candidates receive their driving licence(s) on the day of application.

Kosin warned foreigners not to believe agents who claim to be able to obtain Thai driving licences without the applicant showing up. “All driving licences are issued only to the applicant in person who pays the appropriate fees at the transportation office’s service counter”. He added that the use of driving licences beyond national borders was one example of the 10 ASEAN countries preparing to open a free-trade area and implementing policies to remove tariffs from December 31, 2015.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

I suppose it's whether you paid the police on the spot or at the police station.??

Anyone holding a valid Thai driving licence can now use it in nine other countries without the need to obtain an international permit. These countries are Mynamar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore and the Philippines which, together with Thailand, make up the 10 country ASEAN economic grouping.

Citizens of these countries, together with foreign nationals holding a driving permit issued by any member state, are now able to drive in all member countries for as long as the licence is valid. Thailand issues separate licences to drive cars and motorbikes so Thais and foreigners need to have the appropriate permit for the category of vehicle they intend to drive abroad. For those who prefer, international licences can still be used for driving in Thailand and throughout ASEAN.

Kosin Weeranthanaphan, new head of the Banglamung transportation authority which is situated behind the International School of the Regents, said, “Both foreigners and Thais can take advantage of this move by the ASEAN countries to simplify day-to-day procedures. From 2015 China, South Korea and Japan will be added to the list of countries where a driver’s licence issued in an ASEAN country can be used.”

The transportation head also reminded foreign applicants of the documents needed to obtain a Thai driving licence – original passport and valid visa + photocopy, two photographs, a recent certificate of residence issued by the Immigration Bureau and a doctor’s certificate not more than one month old. Applicants also receive information on current traffic regulations in Thailand and take a competency examination currently available in Thai, English, Chinese, Japanese and Arabic. Successful candidates receive their driving licence(s) on the day of application.

Kosin warned foreigners not to believe agents who claim to be able to obtain Thai driving licences without the applicant showing up. “All driving licences are issued only to the applicant in person who pays the appropriate fees at the transportation office’s service counter”. He added that the use of driving licences beyond national borders was one example of the 10 ASEAN countries preparing to open a free-trade area and implementing policies to remove tariffs from December 31, 2015.

THANK YOU FOR VERY CLEAR ANSWER, except Vietnam say foreigner need Vietnames driver license, can be done easy if have domestic address.

biggrin.png your sentende: I suppose it's whether you paid the police on the spot or at the police station.?? biggrin.png I say NO, I paid not one cent even he said he is the LAW. I told him he isn't the law he represent the law only and should learn about this matter. He let me go with a nice face neus.gif

Thailand is a signatory to various conventions regulating traffic rules and regulations.

As it stands, the new type driving license, which also states the relevant information about the holder and the class of vehicle the license is valid for in the English language, this license should be valid in, for example, Europe, where English in one of the languages of the EU.

And indeed, for driving in Europe, by EU-regulations, you do not need the grey translation of the Thai language any more.

Indeed, the IDL is just a document with a translation of the national driving license of the holder.

One of the consequences of Asean is that the English language will be the official language between the partners of Asean.

Hence, the validity of the NEW Thai driving license, which also totes the English language.

Mind, Thailand is a signatory to the Vienna convention.

So, as long is your national license is also in the English language, you should not need a IDL.

But.....only for 45 days.

After that period of time, according to the convention, you should obtain a local license.

Depending on the laws of the issuing country

And that is also the case with Asean, your Thai driving license will be valid for 45 days in, for example, Indonesia.

• Like 1

Hang on there guys, I just got my Thai license, my first one, meaning that it is a temporary license and not a full license. I have to wait a full year and then go get a full license which is then valid for 5 years.

Yes this is the normal procedure .... If you are clever as I did, with brithday in december I went in January for 5 year driver license and got in fact 5 years and 11 month biggrin.png

• Like 1

Hang on there guys, I just got my Thai license, my first one, meaning that it is a temporary license and not a full license. I have to wait a full year and then go get a full license which is then valid for 5 years.

Yes this is the normal procedure .... If you are clever as I did, with brithday in december I went in January for 5 year driver license and got in fact 5 years and 11 month biggrin.png

...and you don't have to be born in Dec to do it....just renew it after expiration date..wink.png

...and you don't have to be born in Dec to do it....just renew it after expiration date..wink.png

they said not 1 day after otherwise the whole procedure re-start, do it bette 1 week before wai2.gif

they said not 1 day after otherwise the whole procedure re-start, do it bette 1 week before wai2.gif

Hmmm,I'll challenge that...smile.png

• Like 1

Depends on the office, and even then it can change. To be safe, do it before.

Thailand is a signatory to various conventions regulating traffic rules and regulations.

As it stands, the new type driving license, which also states the relevant information about the holder and the class of vehicle the license is valid for in the English language, this license should be valid in, for example, Europe, where English in one of the languages of the EU.

And indeed, for driving in Europe, by EU-regulations, you do not need the grey translation of the Thai language any more.

Indeed, the IDL is just a document with a translation of the national driving license of the holder.

One of the consequences of Asean is that the English language will be the official language between the partners of Asean.

Hence, the validity of the NEW Thai driving license, which also totes the English language.

So, as long is your national license is also in the English language, you should not need a IDL.

After that period of time, according to the convention, you should obtain a local license.

And that is also the case with Asean, your Thai driving license will be valid for 45 days in, for example, Indonesia.

Thanks for the very helpful post. I've had a UK car licence for years and I intend to get a Thai one before my current IDP runs out. I don't have any bike licence but being here it would be helpful if I ever get the urge to live really dangerously. I will probably try to get a licence in the UK as that way I would get some proper useful training but if I can do it here first I'll at least have some idea of what I'm doing.

Do you know if the first 1 year licence counts for use in the UK? I've got a friend who's lived here for a few years and he's had his name put on the licence in Thai. I wonder if that would cause problems? There's not a problem with the car licence but I was thinking if I got a bike one here then if it had some short term validity then it might be useful when I get back to the UK.

Thanks for the very helpful post. I've had a UK car licence for years and I intend to get a Thai one before my current IDP runs out. I don't have any bike licence but being here it would be helpful if I ever get the urge to live really dangerously. I will probably try to get a licence in the UK as that way I would get some proper useful training but if I can do it here first I'll at least have some idea of what I'm doing.

Do you know if the first 1 year licence counts for use in the UK? I've got a friend who's lived here for a few years and he's had his name put on the licence in Thai. I wonder if that would cause problems? There's not a problem with the car licence but I was thinking if I got a bike one here then if it had some short term validity then it might be useful when I get back to the UK.

A full Thai licence is valid for 1 year in G.B. but you must before that take a G.B test to change it to an English one. Not sure about the 1 year one though but if you think about it it would have run out well before then anyway.

I can 100% confirm that you can hire a Car in the UK with only your Thai Licence. (new plastic type as shown in OP)

No International permit is required.

Same in Holland, Thai 5 year DL is accepted by car hire company's. ( did this a few weeks ago )

I can 100% confirm that you can hire a Car in the UK with only your Thai Licence. (new plastic type as shown in OP)

Same in Holland, Thai 5 year DL is accepted by car hire company's. ( did this a few weeks ago )

How about US...anybody knows?

Yeah, in the U.S. it is a State-by-State thing. Each state issues its own drivers licenses to the residents of the state, and has its own laws regarding the use of foreign drivers licenses or IDPs. Generally, most states now accept foreign drivers licenses and you can usually easily rent a car also with one. IDPs are generally frowned upon because so many are fraudulent or hard to check authenticity. I guess there might be some kind of way to check authenticity of foreign DLs?

Edited by keemapoot

Its valid in new york.

Its valid in new york.

In the U.K. a Ferang with a Thai Licence has no problem, but the renters aren't stupid they now know a Thai Test means nothing, so don't assume a National will be hired one by right. My Sons been refused once when he was 27.

• 5 months later...

THANK YOU FOR VERY CLEAR ANSWER, except Vietnam say foreigner need Vietnames driver license, can be done easy if have domestic address.

biggrin.png your sentende: I suppose it's whether you paid the police on the spot or at the police station.?? biggrin.png I say NO, I paid not one cent even he said he is the LAW. I told him he isn't the law he represent the law only and should learn about this matter. He let me go with a nice face neus.gif

Well Vietnam probably doesn't really accept anything other than Vietnamese licenses held by anyone, local or foreign, except Lao or Cambodian cars being driven temporarily inside the country, for which a Vietnamese license isn't really necessary. I have a Vietnamese license, was easy to obtain and lasts as long as your foreign license.

While China is more of a rule and order country unlike Vietnam, which has a lot of random rules all over the place, somehow I doubt ASEAN licenses will really be acceptable for driving in China even in 2015 except if you are driving a Lao or other neighboring country car in border regions of China, in which case only an international or national license are required. Unless there is a reliable source that can back up Kosin's claims I am suspicious of these claims, though I would warmly welcome them if really implemented.

I used mine to rent a car in Canada, no ploblems at all

Are You a Canuck passport holder on a Thai Licence because you're Canadian one expired,big difference. If You have an E.U. Passport,and address,no worries. The Big renters ain't stupid as i said before,they can refuse anyone.They ain't that dumb,they let a Thai loose straight out of Heathrow into traffic.thumbsup.gif

I think you have to research this for each country and even each state or province because in many countries, driving licenses and rules are a local matter. ( Like in USA, each state makes their own rules.)

I researched this topic for my home state of California; and I found out that any valid foreign drivers license allows a tourist or visitor to operate a vehicle in the state. However, if one say is moving temporarily to the state, e.g., for work or study, the foreign license is good for 10 days, after which one must obtain a California drivers license.

• Like 1

I think you have to research this for each country and even each state or province because in many countries, driving licenses and rules are a local matter. ( Like in USA, each state makes their own rules.)

I researched this topic for my home state of California; and I found out that any valid foreign drivers license allows a tourist or visitor to operate a vehicle in the state. However, if one say is moving temporarily to the state, e.g., for work or study, the foreign license is good for 10 days, after which one must obtain a California drivers license.

Very True,i got caught on a Pensacola issued licence,in So Call. Cops they are so easy on Euro Nits ,they did nothing.. . They though i was Mad driving a Chevy Citation, about as useless as a Cruze here. Rock On USA the Best Nation ive ever lived in.thumbsup.gif

I used mine to rent a car in Canada, no ploblems at all

Are You a Canuck passport holder on a Thai Licence because you're Canadian one expired,big difference. If You have an E.U. Passport,and address,no worries. The Big renters ain't stupid as i said before,they can refuse anyone.They ain't that dumb,they let a Thai loose straight out of Heathrow into traffic.thumbsup.gif

No- not Canadian, but I am there semi regularly. I only have a Thai license as I haven't been home for more than a 10 since last century

:)

Given the new licenses are in English and Thai, they'd be valid in NSW (and probably similar rules in other Australian states and territories) as per the following:

As a temporary overseas visitor, if you hold a current driver licence from another country, you are allowed to drive in NSW on your overseas licence as long as:

You remain a temporary overseas visitor

Your overseas licence remains current

You have not been disqualified from driving in NSW or elsewhere and

You have not had your licence suspended or cancelled or your visiting driver privileges withdrawn.

You are not required to obtain a NSW licence if you comply with these conditions and can continue to prove your genuine visitor status to NSW Police if required.

Note 1: If you are a licence holder from New Zealand, you must obtain a NSW driver licence within three months of residing in NSW or you must stop driving.

Note 2: Australian citizens who reside overseas and are not permanent residents of Australia are allowed to drive in NSW on a current overseas licence as an international visitor. There is no need to apply for the issue or renewal of a NSW licence.

When driving in NSW you must carry your overseas driver licence. Your licence must be written in English or, if the licence is not in English, you must either carry an English translation or an International Driving Permit.

• 9 years later...

I just stumbled upon this old thread while waiting here at a Thailand driving school for my motorbike license.

When I am done with this process, I will be issued two separate 2 year (temporary?) Thai driver licenses, one for car (converted from my existing International Driver Permit) and one for motorbike.

The posts in this thread are very clear about the full 5 year Thai license and how it can be used abroad, but what about the initial 2 year licenses?

Can the first 2 year driver license for either car or motorbike be used only in Thailand, or does it still work in all the ASEAN member countries?

10 minutes ago, AsiaTraveler1234 said:

I just stumbled upon this old thread while waiting here at a Thailand driving school for my motorbike license.

When I am done with this process, I will be issued two separate 2 year (temporary?) Thai driver licenses, one for car (converted from my existing International Driver Permit) and one for motorbike.

The posts in this thread are very clear about the full 5 year Thai license and how it can be used abroad, but what about the initial 2 year licenses?

Can the first 2 year driver license for either car or motorbike be used only in Thailand, or does it still work in all the ASEAN member countries?

2 year temp driving license is only for use in Thailand.

Cannot get an international driving permit on a 2 year temp driving license.

• Thanks 1