Ikea Withdraws Horse Meatballs: Thailand

webfact

Back in the old country (Germany, that is!) I had horse- meat several times. It is absolutely delicious!

So why actually the big fuss about it?

People eat bugs in Thailand. Do you really think a bug restaurant would go over big in Germany? No? Well that's the reason some people are upset about horse meat. Not everyone has the same experiences as the old country.

...and as usual: you are way besides the point!

Your culture horse eating is OK mine it is not.

If you are from the US ( Iam never sure with your claims, there are so many out there...), it is your culture, too.

By the way, my point was: a) meatballs! Minced meat, not able to see the difference..maybe (I doubt) tasting it! Your example: beetles compared to ...what...sausages? Now figure for yourself! b ) is there a religion, that prohibits horse- meat? Pork, I know! Beef , I know! Horse? Never heard of one! c) with the quality of pork and the (alleged) much better quality of horse (no mass- production = no use of harmful chemicals like anti- biotics...what is so bad about mixing in horse- meat! I understand, that is should be stated...but my question remains: what is so bad about it, that it has to be taken of? Just because little Lisa is crying over Black Beauty?

I'm from the US and I have never eaten horse meet to my knowledge but I see nothing wrong with it. And if i had the chance i would try it. After all we consume millions of cows, hogs, goats, deer and other animals.

It is very tasty, I can asure you!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the old country (Germany, that is!) I had horse- meat several times. It is absolutely delicious!

So why actually the big fuss about it?

People eat bugs in Thailand. Do you really think a bug restaurant would go over big in Germany? No? Well that's the reason some people are upset about horse meat. Not everyone has the same experiences as the old country.

...and as usual: you are way besides the point!

Your culture horse eating is OK mine it is not.

If you are from the US ( Iam never sure with your claims, there are so many out there...), it is your culture, too.

By the way, my point was: a) meatballs! Minced meat, not able to see the difference..maybe (I doubt) tasting it! Your example: beetles compared to ...what...sausages? Now figure for yourself! b ) is there a religion, that prohibits horse- meat? Pork, I know! Beef , I know! Horse? Never heard of one! c) with the quality of pork and the (alleged) much better quality of horse (no mass- production = no use of harmful chemicals like anti- biotics...what is so bad about mixing in horse- meat! I understand, that is should be stated...but my question remains: what is so bad about it, that it has to be taken of? Just because little Lisa is crying over Black Beauty?

I'm from the US and I have never eaten horse meet to my knowledge but I see nothing wrong with it. And if i had the chance i would try it. After all we consume millions of cows, hogs, goats, deer and other animals.

You wrote, "If you are from the US (I am never sure with your claims, there are so many out there...)" What are you talking about? Or is that just a random personal attack? Be specific please; I'm sure you are not just making it up are you?

Cannot understand all the fuss around horse meatballs. So long as food is suitably labelled I've no problem with balls no matter from where they come. Oft times from the size of meatballs one can tell which animal it comes from if only one takes time to look and feel the stuff.

time and again people are missig the poinrt here - it's a matter of labelling........it really doen't matter if it is pork, lamb or horse, the problem is it is UNDECLARED.

\claiming you have eaten horse is completely irrelevant to the issue and just indicates you don't understand the issue.

time and again people are missig the poinrt here - it's a matter of labelling........it really doen't matter if it is pork, lamb or horse, the problem is it is UNDECLARED.

\claiming you have eaten horse is completely irrelevant to the issue and just indicates you don't understand the issue.

I thought the issue of the story was, (from the OP), " This scandal represents the second such PR pratfall for IKEA since the company first set up shop in Thailand. IKEA has also taken heat for an advertisement it released, which some special interest groups said was insulting to transgendered people."

Edited by chiangmaikelly

I thought the issue of the story was, (from the OP), " This scandal represents the second such PR pratfall for IKEA since the company first set up shop in Thailand. IKEA has also taken heat for an advertisement it released, which some special interest groups said was insulting to transgendered people."

It wouldn't be a "scandal" if it wasn't for the misrepresentation would it?

• Like 1

How many countries eat horse? Would it be a case of misrepresentation if it was beef not included in a description of ingredients? NO, methinks scandal only with horse. Beef would have been no big deal.

When I was working in China, I once mentioned I was so hungry I could eat a horse. Silly me. My Chinese associate called the waiter and words were exchanged, I thought he was ordering more food. A rather large plate of Meat, which was almost orange in colour, arrived. my associate said it was horse meat as I requested. I had to eat it, there was no avoiding it anyway as it was a hotpot and everyone kept dunking the raw meat into a communal soup pot. I rather liked it actually. The only thing preventing full enjoyment of it was my own silly prejudice, which was irrational when I subsequently thought about it.

More the greed from the supplier not Ikea, substituting more cost effective product from the knackery. I hope they nail the supplier.

IKEA press their suppliers so very much so in fact I think that IKEA indirectly "made their bed" by that... They got what they want... SUPERCHEAP stuff from whoever.....

Have myself tried in the past to sell to them but almost impossible to compete..... So IKEA in one sik way you got what you asked for...

Glegolo

The French, on the other hand, pop live hamsters like Godiva truffles.

hehe

Ever been to the Philippines? Try a balut. Chickens hatch out in 21 days. They take the egg at 17 days, crack it open and eat the baby chick. If you have a weak stomach you might not want to watch the video below.

I've heard the word "balut," but I've never actually seen this. Disgusting. What percentage of the population actually eats these?

How many countries eat horse? Would it be a case of misrepresentation if it was beef not included in a description of ingredients? NO, methinks scandal only with horse. Beef would have been no big deal.

Actually beef would also have been a big deal. Many Thais do not eat beef, so if it was present and not included in the label, that would also have been a problem. Same if it had been pork. So the "scandal" was due to the misrepresentation.

beef would be a huge problem in India, as would pork in the middle east.

Were this horses safe to eat if they were not bread for food? I don't think so.

Its shocking how people couldn't understand this.

Now you know your meat isn't what you thought, who knows what farm this came from .. it sure takes the illusions of honesty away about meat balls.

If someone said it was a walnut and it was a peanut someone could die.

It also shows you the big corps don't even know what is in their food. Scary world eat fresh local food, that's all I have to say.

Ikea meatballs contain reindeer beef (i used to work at ikea in the uk so know this to be true) i'll be honest, i don't understand why it's ok to eat poor Rudolph but not a horse?

Any opinions?

No way reindeer meat is a delicacy and is very expensive. 1 kilo smoked reindeer steak 590:- sek/ kilo. That´s 2600-2700 thb/ kilo.

• Like 1

More the greed from the supplier not Ikea, substituting more cost effective product from the knackery. I hope they nail the supplier.

IKEA press their suppliers so very much so in fact I think that IKEA indirectly "made their bed" by that... They got what they want... SUPERCHEAP stuff from whoever.....

Have myself tried in the past to sell to them but almost impossible to compete..... So IKEA in one sik way you got what you asked for...

Glegolo

Many big food Company´s around Europe have found horse meat in their food, not only the IKEA supplier, Dafgårds.

The French, on the other hand, pop live hamsters like Godiva truffles.

hehe

Ever been to the Philippines? Try a balut. Chickens hatch out in 21 days. They take the egg at 17 days, crack it open and eat the baby chick. If you have a weak stomach you might not want to watch the video below.

I've heard the word "balut," but I've never actually seen this. Disgusting. What percentage of the population actually eats these?

I'm not sure what percent of the population eat baluts but they are considered a delicacy.

Ikea meatballs contain reindeer beef (i used to work at ikea in the uk so know this to be true) i'll be honest, i don't understand why it's ok to eat poor Rudolph but not a horse?

Any opinions?

No way reindeer meat is a delicacy and is very expensive. 1 kilo smoked reindeer steak 590:- sek/ kilo. That´s 2600-2700 thb/ kilo.

I think you focus on the name "Reindeer" and than decide that it is not good to eat. I am swedish and I know that the meat out of a reindeer is really good and wild in it´s taste. But is takes tough love to cook it before you can enjoy it, at least i believe so in my case. But than you have agreat steak or a fantastic stew....

Try it, dont be afraid, take the chance when back in Europe sure it is expensive but not at all like in Thailand...,,Sure I know that not everyone likes the same food, but you should give it a chance....

Glegolo