Taxi To Airport, Cheaper Than 800 Baht?

flip

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long can this go on ........ 90 posts on a Taxi fare , godknows how many views.

coffee1.gif

Seeing the emoticon, how many can go on about coffee? I'd say taxi fares are more relevant to most than where to get a decent cup o' jo.........

Hi Gom,

I take it the emotion is meant to reflect boredom ?

But as theres so much interest in this seems to me someone should partner up with a Thai and set up an expat taxi service for TV members smile.png looks like a no brainer

Edited by N47HAN

How long can this go on ........ 90 posts on a Taxi fare , godknows how many views.

:coffee1:

Seeing the emoticon, how many can go on about coffee? I'd say taxi fares are more relevant to most than where to get a decent cup o' jo.........
Hi Gom,

But as theres so much interest in this seems to me someone should partner up with a Thai and set up an expat taxi service for TV members :) looks like a no brainer

Why? It would be more trouble than its worth. A taxi service for Chalong/Rawaii cheapskates??? Imagine trying to get the money off them? If you charged 500 there would be khun tightwad saying 'I only have 450 with me' Edited by IrishIvan
  • Like 2

coffee1.gif

Hi Gom,

But as theres so much interest in this seems to me someone should partner up with a Thai and set up an expat taxi service for TV members smile.png looks like a no brainer

Why? It would be more trouble than its worth. A taxi service for Chalong/Rawaii cheapskates??? Imagine trying to get the money off them? If you charged 500 there would be khun tightwad saying 'I only have 450 with me'

I'm not a "Khun Tightwad" - however, I try to circumvent the transport mafia here at any, and every turn.

I have successfully steered my friends and relatives, here for the first time, away from them, as best I can. For me, it's the principle involved.

In my opinion, the pain and suffering they cause, to all of us, whether it be increased traffic and/or accidents, lack of customers to your business because people can not get around the island etc etc is causing untold damage to tourism on Phuket.

i would gladly give an expat the same price, 800 baht, for the same journey, rather than pay a Thai driver the 800 baht of which, who knows how much go to the "influential people" withholding this essential service back on this so called, "world class tourist destination."

• Like 1

How long can this go on ........ 90 posts on a Taxi fare , godknows how many views.:coffee1:

Hi Gom,

But as theres so much interest in this seems to me someone should partner up with a Thai and set up an expat taxi service for TV members :) looks like a no brainer

Why? It would be more trouble than its worth. A taxi service for Chalong/Rawaii cheapskates??? Imagine trying to get the money off them? If you charged 500 there would be khun tightwad saying 'I only have 450 with me'

I'm not a "Khun Tightwad" - however, I try to circumvent the transport mafia here at any, and every turn.

I have successfully steered my friends and relatives, here for the first time, away from them, as best I can. For me, it's the principle involved.

In my opinion, the pain and suffering they cause, to all of us, whether it be increased traffic and/or accidents, lack of customers to your business because people can not get around the island etc etc is causing untold damage to tourism on Phuket.

i would gladly give an expat the same price, 800 baht, for the same journey, rather than pay a Thai driver the 800 baht of which, who knows how much go to the "influential people" withholding this essential service back on this so called, "world class tourist destination."

Do what I do then. Pay someone at your local watering hole to drive you up. Or ask a neighbour if they want a few extra bob.

How long can this go on ........ 90 posts on a Taxi fare , godknows how many views.coffee1.gif

Hi Gom,

Do what I do then. Pay someone at your local watering hole to drive you up. Or ask a neighbour if they want a few extra bob.

LOL! You are really good with this forums software...

I think we should start our own forum taxi service.

Easy to do:

1. A list of members with cars, SUVs or pickups.

2. The members' location and availability.

3. No real names or registration numbers published.

4. TV would start a forum for requests, offers, recommendations, thanks, etc.

5. We can decide on our own price list from the various locations (e.g. at about 1/2 the Mafia fare)

6. Free sticker for the windscreen, such as: attachicon.giftaxi4.JPG (Optional)

This could be our own, completely anonymous, "Farang taxi club".

Waddya think?

attachicon.gifyes nod.gif or attachicon.gifno.gif

We are working on a website to do just that, but mostly focused on Visa runs which are rather out of control right now. Adding your idea would not be difficult. If there is enough interest we can consider it.

Ok just so we can dispel a few myths here. There is a 50 baht surcharge from swampy. There are 3 toll fares of around 120 baht. So thats 170 baht before you even get in the taxi. Its at least 2-300 baht on the meter. And unless you are as mean as cat .... you will give the driver a 20-30 baht tip if he helps you with your bags.

A few more myths to dispel:

It cost less than 300 baht to get from Don Muang to lower Sukhumvit. (Yes, we weren't talking about Swampy. Please keep up.)

Don Muang to Lower Sukhumvit is about 20 km.

Phuket Airport to Chalong (not Patong or through any yet-to-be-built tunnels - nice try at the diversion, though) is 40 km.

So a fair price would be 600 baht. So 800 baht is not such a big deal given that this is the most expensive place to live in Thailand.