If I Use 3Bb Dsl, Can I Use Tot Adsl Modem?

4evermaat

I had tot dsl service maybe over 8 months ago or so. But this service was disconnected.

I now will explore 3bb internet service package (13mb down, 1mb up). Can i use my existing adsl modem or should I use the one they will sell me with the package?

The modem is D-link DSL-2640B

As long as you have the user-name and password to access the modem's user interface, via a browser, then you should be able to re-configure the modem to interwork with 3BB's DSL service. On some branded modems, service providers can/do include custom firmware which may preclude UI access and/or re-configuration.

That said, in general D-Link are not the best modems, and this unit is a bit old in the tooth. You can get a modern integrated unit (ADSL modem, 4-port ethernet router, USB interface for a printer, HDD or 3G modem for fall-back & WiFi AP) for 1,800 baht. Why scrimp on potentially the most import device in your network?

As long as you have the user-name and password to access the modem's user interface, via a browser, then you should be able to re-configure the modem to interwork with 3BB's DSL service. On some branded modems, service providers can/do include custom firmware which may preclude UI access and/or re-configuration.

That said, in general D-Link are not the best modems, and this unit is a bit old in the tooth. You can get a modern integrated unit (ADSL modem, 4-port ethernet router, USB interface for a printer, HDD or 3G modem for fall-back & WiFi AP) for 1,800 baht. Why scrimp on potentially the most import device in your network?

can you prove a couple of examples and where to purchase? I did not know consumer/prosumer routers have gotten so redundant.

The 3g modem fallback....is that via usb modem stick or do you put the sim card directly into the ADSL modem/router device. not sure what a "HDD" is or how it would used for a fallback.

I have 2 of these units laying around, one from my previous ToT use and the previous renter left hers here.

can you prove a couple of examples and where to purchase?

We've been deploying Asus DSL-N12U units. These have a single USB interface than can be used for a printer, HDD (Hard Disk Drive) or 3G USB modem (fall-back). Recent purchases have been 1,800 THB at networking shops in Panthip or Fortune IT Mall in Bangkok.

But if you have excess units maybe try those first, both to see if you can re-configure them, and if they provide acceptable performance? Seems simple enough?