Organic Food In Ko Samui Or Ko Phangan

Spark8

Hello there,

Do you know any shops where we can get certified organic veggies (I don't mean non-certified organic royal project produce as it is not organic) in either Ko Samui or Ko Phangan.

Would be grateful for your advice.

Thank you.

We went through this topic several months ago, I cannot find the link blink.png ....

Hydroponic is not technically organic... as they use chemical liquid fertilizer to feed the plants ....

The Hydroponic farm near me does not use chemicals for fungus or insects... I think they are all the same in that respect.... five or six farms around the island, mostly growing lettuce, mint, basil!

The store Rooo mentions is a retail outlet, most of the other farms are not... they sell to other shops hotels and restaurants!

Samui%2520rural%25201%2520Feb%252025%252

Edited by samuijimmy

Hydroponic is NEVER organic as it's 100% based on chemicals ! [even though you don't use chemical pesticides]

Aquaponics is exchanging the chemicals from a hydroponic system agains fish and as such becomes 100% organic.

NO chemical fertilizers, NO chemical pesticides, no chemicals at all.

An Aquaponics system is easy to setup and easily maintained.

The only Aquaponics system on Samui is a prototype in Bangrak and the first of its kind on the Island.

If you need more info just send me a message.

• Like 1

The good news is that there's plenty of e. coli on most of the food sold in Thai restaurants anyway, so there's no need to actively seek it out by shopping for organic food.

Seems to me we hear of more problems about e.coli in the food chain from north America.....

There's some organic fruit & veg on Pha Ngan and I know friends who've stayed at a place on Samui where they grow some and sell more (from various farmers), only fruit & veg though, possibly some nuts etc. No meat.

Sri Thanu on Pha Ngan has a roadshide shop with some organic and if you know your way around in Thong Sala some market vendors have unsprayed, though not officially organic. Taste wise way superior though. A few restaurants on Pha Ngan with organic food on the menu and I know there's a permaculture project going on somewhere but haven't looked into it.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Update for Phangan... Now there's a dedicated organic shop in Thong Sala selling mainly (or only?) local organic produce, from durians (yum!) and other fresh fruit in season to dried & bottled stuff. I'm not sure but I think it's some kind of co-op of organic producers on Phangan. The permaculture project seems to have folded though. There's a few small places on Phangan selling bottled & dried organic stuff, including hygiene products, tea, coffee etc.

Probably not certified. Looks like the place (the organic shop in Thong Sala) is part of some Thai soil project. I tend to trust my taste buds first and foremost, and they've been happy so far - the durians are a good couple of notches above the rest (Gan Yaos anyway). Their dragon fruits are the only ones I care to eat ( = with a real taste) and the water spinach doesn't taste "chemical" like it does in most places, and whenever they have mangoes or pineapples (sadly not too often), I'm always one happy camper - one of the very few things that make me wish I could live forever, the apple mangoes in particular.

Edited by AngThong