Had Rin Boat Taxi Guys Are Scum Of Thailand

As the topic title suggests, it is my opinion that the taxi boat mafia on had rin are bunch of scum bags.

Trying to get a lift to Had Tien when there is 4 or 5 of us waiting and they are trying to extort 300 baht each is pathetic. They are really unfriendly thais with the worst attitude Ive seen anywhere in thailand.

When I was at Had Tien the waves were dangerous and they stopped providing their services for a few days. I was speaking to a single

mum from germany who told me she yelled at her boat driver as he was kind of showing off; and after she screamed he did not slow down

and allegedly the boat nearly turned over.

Last year around April, there was a thai govt department with a desk on the sand keeping an eye on these guys- it wasn't the navy but I cant remember the specific area they came from. That day the taxi boats even had brand

new fluro life jackets (still in the plastic) and he told us to put them on. Its a shame that they dont have a permanent desk down by Had Rin to pull those rogues into line.

If someone ever wants to make a complaint about these guys, who would one direct this to?

no doubt some are rude but 300 baht is not extortion as you are not forced to pay it you just dont have to use it.

The way in which these guys suppress competition by threats of violence is the very definition of extortion. They are only able to charge 300 baht because of extortion. Just like taxis on Samui cost 15x the price of Bangkok, because of extortion.

• Like 1

They say the price has changed (it was 200thb last year). Probably that's only because they can do it in high season and soon they have to lower it again!?

Anyway, it's sometimes very dangerous and they have to deal with people who don't want to pay, think it's too expensive, or tell them how to do their job.

By the way, I never had a problem with any of them.
The road to Haad Tian can now be used (taxi drivers sometimes take 2000thb for the tour at night...), so why don't you try this way?

Oh, a friend of mine wanted to sell one of these boats for 80.0000thb a few months ago, why don't you DIY wink.png

• Like 2

"If someone ever wants to make a complaint about these guys, who would one direct this to?"

Sorry, I used to have the number for "dial a prayer" but threw it away since it was an international call!

Good thing to do, considering those guys can ask for back-up from Satan with a domestic call.

I fully agree that these guys overcharge! 300bath for a 10-15min boatride to Had Yuan or Had Tien... even when the water is flat! Sometimes there are up to 20 people in one boat!

PS. I noticed that some of these boattaxi guys have got fatter and fatter over the past years... I guess business is good!

PSS. They cannot control the taxi maffia on Samui, so dream on about controlling the boat maffia on Phangan.

I fully agree that these guys overcharge! 300bath for a 10-15min boatride to Had Yuan or Had Tien... even when the water is flat! Sometimes there are up to 20 people in one boat!

PS. I noticed that some of these boattaxi guys have got fatter and fatter over the past years... I guess business is good!

PSS. They cannot control the taxi maffia on Samui, so dream on about controlling the boat maffia on Phangan.

You answered your own question

It's business

If they can get 300 baht and people pay then they are not wrong

Price and demand

Things are only worth what people are willing to pay

I am sorry but personally I would charge 300 baht if I could rather than work harder for less

• Like 2

As most things with Thais, depends on your attitude... I've never paid more than 200, sometimes just 150 when there's a bunch of us. Never had any problems either, not on Had Rin nor up North (Chaloklum mostly). If it's just you it might get pricey but there's always someone going, have never had to wait long. Some of the young guys working the boats are among the friendliest Thais I know, especially in Chaloklum / Bottle B.

Then again I don't do late night parties, seldom travel past midnight.

Edited by AngThong
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you think the boat taxi guys are the scum of Thailand, I dont think you have seen much of Thailand.

If you think 300 Baht for a taxi boat is extortion...you must buy a calculator and calculate the change for 300 Baht in your own currency (whatever) then tell us what kind of boat trip in your own country, sailing/outboard any type of boat one could expect for the same amount. Not sure it would be enough for a shaking hand with the captain.

• Like 1

We chose to live in an un organisde country which has its plus sides and down sides.

yes there could be strict government policies where there was a limit as to what people could charge but then we forget that the reason why we came to another part of this world is for the freedom where we are not contantly surveyed and do not jave police and government officals checking every single thing.

I f this is what we want then you are in the wrong country.

stay sharp dont be a fool but be polite and nicely spoken.

Rather well summarize thumbsup.gif

If you think the boat taxi guys are the scum of Thailand, I dont think you have seen much of Thailand.

If you think 300 Baht for a taxi boat is extortion...you must buy a calculator and calculate the change for 300 Baht in your own currency (whatever) then tell us what kind of boat trip in your own country, sailing/outboard any type of boat one could expect for the same amount. Not sure it would be enough for a shaking hand with the captain.

I don't, perhaps you have quoted the wrong post:blink:

I don't, perhaps you have quoted the wrong post:blink:

I knew you did not so I did not quoted the wrong post it was a tentative to prolong your own sentence rolleyes.gif

• 9 months later...

These Haad Rin Boat Taxi guys ripped us off yesterday. I was told they are Thai Mafia so don't mess with them. We paid 300 bhat each to go to Haad Yuan and planned to stay there for 4 days and after taking our money, informed everyone on the boat they are only going to Haad Tien so we are trapped here as we can't get our luggage over the jungle trek to Haad Yuan.

Its pretty nice here in Haad Tien but we had bookings in Haad Yuan so still pissed off

These Haad Rin Boat Taxi guys ripped us off yesterday. I was told they are Thai Mafia so don't mess with them. We paid 300 bhat each to go to Haad Yuan and planned to stay there for 4 days and after taking our money, informed everyone on the boat they are only going to Haad Tien so we are trapped here as we can't get our luggage over the jungle trek to Haad Yuan.

Its pretty nice here in Haad Tien but we had bookings in Haad Yuan so still pissed off

That's too bad, sounds very odd. I've been down there many times and although they do try to push up the prices, it would seem odd for them to go to Thien instead of Yuan, especially since it's a longer trip. Unless you have heavy suitcases however, the walk to Had Yuan isn't that onerous, it's a 15 min walk with no luggage (or just a backpack). Had Thien/Yuan are ill-suited for bringing suitcases... There is a road behind Had Thien / Had Yuan that connects the two, but it's steep. You could ask around if someone is driving there, maybe they could take you along, or at least your luggage.

Good luck either way!

• Like 1

in fact i think they should up the prices for fun

You've already posted six times belittling the OP's rant.

Enough already.

Like YOU'VE never had one in your entire stay here?

Hypocrites to the left, hypocrites to the right, up and down and all around.

Enough already.

Now them are fighting words... stick em up! tongue.png ...... watch out Big C !!!....biggrin.png

P4191648.JPG

I have seen people argue over the price of boat rides ... over a few baht... not saying this is misswillow girl did that, but if some of these guys get pissed off, then they may not provide good service...

I remember a farang woman being dropped off in the middle of nowhere, on KP once, after she tried doing that, served her right too.... she was just plain rude...

Thai's are entitled to make a living, they have a lot of off time, during the non busy times, which is most of the year...!...they still have to up keep their boats etc, feed their families etc....

Edited by samuijimmy

Taxi from ban tai = 300 baht takes about 45 minutes+ waiting for more punter time.boat taxi from had rin costs the same 15 minutes so stop bitching xxxxxxxxx. Remember to smile before you talk to them next time, if you not learnt already

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Rooo
Flame removed.

Enough already.

Now them are fighting words... stick em up! tongue.png ...... watch out Big C !!!....biggrin.png

I don't want to fight anybody but I understand where the OP is coming from and his anger is legit.

I tried to take a Long Tail taxi from Chalokau to Haad Khuat (Bottle Beach) and the guy wanted to charge me 700bt!!

I befriended a resort staff (Thai) at Bottle Neck Resort. I was thinking of buying a long tail boat at the time and through our conversation, he was going to take care of it for me and the business end. Anyways, I mentioned about using it as a taxi and he said, "No way! Mafia big trouble!"

Well it sometimes comes down to this, if there are multiple number of people using a taxi boat, then the price per person is less... it's the same with the KP taxi service (songtoas)... there is a big difference between one person going to an area, or a truck load full...

And of course this so called "Mafia" ... wants their cut of the daily take too (if there is any) ... so if you were alone, 700 baht is really not unreasonable...IMO.... he'd probably would head back to Chaloklum empty... or sit the all day waiting for a return ride...

Hey Willowgirl,

If you feel that you are "trapped" anywhere on KPG..... With all due respect... perhaps you should go home and re-evaluate..... When you return and things don't go according to your plans and/or visions, don't ruin your holiday by getting pissed off.... Make the best out of your incredible good fortune. The vast majority of the world's population can only dream of a tropical holiday....

• Like 2