Gprs+laptop=ais?

roblin

I live in Chiang Mai, will move to Samui soon and usually pass through bangkok reguarly.

I use my laptop daily and am VERY dependent on realiable internet. If internet goes down i lose big money. Enough said!

My internet here is very bad. On weekends and evenings I get 600ms ping to US, topmost 10kB/s and heavy packetloss. Since i rent shorttime ADSL is no option.

So I am thinking about buying a sim-card-pmcia-reader and AIS gprs. 10kbaht for the reader a a few baht per hour for the card.

Any thoughts on this before i go down and buy it? What speeds can I expect, what pingtime, what uptime(%)? Is AIS better than DTAC? Is there a special reader i should buy? How about 3G in thailand?

Khrab khun naa khrab!

I live in Chiang Mai, will move to Samui soon and usually pass through bangkok reguarly.

I use my laptop daily and am VERY dependent on realiable internet. If internet goes down i lose big money. Enough said!

My internet here is very bad. On weekends and evenings I get 600ms ping to US, topmost 10kB/s and heavy packetloss. Since i rent shorttime ADSL is no option.

So I am thinking about buying a sim-card-pmcia-reader and AIS gprs. 10kbaht for the reader a a few baht per hour for the card.

Any thoughts on this before i go down and buy it? What speeds can I expect, what pingtime, what uptime(%)? Is AIS better than DTAC? Is there a special reader i should buy? How about 3G in thailand?

Khrab khun naa khrab!

I am using Internet through my Nokia 9500 and was having the same questions a while ago.

So here is what i did ...dtac gprs if in bangkok you might enjoy EDGE speed (should be around 230 kbps ) in the other Areas you will have the Regular Dial up speed 56kbps (i am in Nakhon sawan and this is at least here the case) .Once you got the Dtac Gprs you phone them up and change the Plan . Tell them you want the other Tarif of 1 Baht / minute. You'll be cheaper of that way.

As an alternative you might look into the so called "Aircards" i do not use this as my Area is not covered.About Aircards ...maybe somebody else in the Forum can give you more info..

rcm :o

Personally I think the phone is a better route than PCMCIA cards; the PCMCiA cards can be tricky to re-charge if you are on a prepaid plan, and the antennas are too easy to break on all the ones I have looked at.

I would recommend a phone that has bluetooth (assuming your laptop does), as well as a standard mini-USB plug. Proprietary plugs are often hard to get, and pose an extra cord you need to bring around. I have a Motorola RAZR, and while the phone is awful, it does the job as a wireless modem reasonably well. You might try and find something that is GPRS Class 12(?) for best upload speeds.

I generally use the bluetooth when I have the computer on my lap, and tether it with the USB cable when it is on the desk.

I use AIS and am happy with it. It's slow, but I knew that going in. AIS seems to have a little better coverage in the sticks with GPRS; I am on Koh Tao now and DTAC doesn't offer any GPRS service - only voice.

:o

o.k.

i have a i-mobile -mobile? with gprs class 12 and a usb to usb connection

but :D i m on "orange" < < < someone have?

the ais sounds like easy and prepaid.but maybe i get laizy when i change sim all time :D

with class 12 > what i can get ? im on landline now... (~ 45.0 kbps)

thanks for info's

:D