The Deep Roots Of Thailand's Southern Insurgency - Facts

webfact

The deep roots of Thailand's southern insurgency - Facts

BANGKOK, Feb 28, 2013 (AFP) - Hopes of peace have been raised after Thailand on Thursday signed its first-ever public agreement with a rebel group in its Muslim-majority south, pledging to work toward ending a festering insurgency.

Here are some key details on the nine-year rebellion.

When did insurgency start?

The current phase of the conflict started in January 2004 and has claimed more than 5,500 lives, mainly in Thailand's three southernmost provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat which border Malaysia, and in four districts of Songkhla province.

But the roots of the insurgency -- or movement as it is known locally -- draw on long-standing Malay nationalist antipathy to Thai rule, which started when the region was annexed in 1902.

Since then rebellion has flared sporadically from within a local population which is 80 percent Muslim and shares a language, culture and customs distinct to the rest of predominantly Buddhist Thailand.

Analysts say successive Thai governments have comprehensively failed to address the root causes of the insurgency.

Who are the insurgents?

A lattice of shadowy militant groups are held responsible for the violence, however little is known about their precise identity and structure.

The largest and most active rebel group is a faction of the highly secretive Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN), known as the BRN-C (Coordinate). The older Patani United Liberation Organisation (PULO) maintains some militant cells in the south, although its overseas-based leadership is less influential.

Thailand puts the number of militants at around 9,000 operating from highly autonomous village-level cells. In recent years the militants have improved their capacity to launch major attacks and are increasingly well organised, aggressive and ruthless.

They have developed advanced bomb-making skills and increasingly carry out carefully orchestrated ambushes involving scores of rebels before melting back into the forests.

The insurgents are devout Muslims but there is scant evidence that they are perpetrating an Islamist insurgency or have links to wider global jihadist networks.

What do they want?

PULO wants the Muslim-majority southernmost provinces to secede from Thailand but has previously indicated a willingness to accept some level of regional autonomy.

The publicity-shy BRN-C is also seeking separatism, although its exact demands are unclear. The local population which sustains the insurgency demands an end to perceived discrimination by Thailand, recognition of their unique culture and justice for a litany of alleged abuses by Thai security forces.

Major incidents

On January 4, 2004, insurgents raided an army base in Narathiwat, killing four soldiers and seizing more than 400 guns, mainly assault rifles, in what is seen as the resumption of the rebellion.

In April that year an army siege and subsequent raid on Krue Se mosque in Pattani left 32 insurgents dead. It was followed in October by the death of 85 Muslims -- the majority by suffocation in the back of a truck -- after a botched police crackdown on a protest in Tak Bai, Narathiwat.

The two incidents are held up as examples of ongoing abuses by the Thai security apparatus and the impunity they allegedly enjoy.

Who are the victims ?

Near daily attacks -- including shootings, bombings and even beheadings -- mean violence is a part of life for many in Thailand's far south.

The estimated 5,500 victims range from security forces, Buddhist monks and villagers from both religions to Muslims perceived to have collaborated with the Thai state.

Nearly 160 teachers -- both Muslim and Buddhist -- have been executed for their supposed collusion and schools have frequently been firebombed or forced to shut under threat from the militants.

Conflict analysts Deep South Watch say 484 people died because of the insurgency in 2012.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-02-28
  • Like 1

The terrorists lifted their skills level with the help of Indonesian jihad nut cases,using Bali type ordnance, while Malaysia turned a blind eye to their illegal entry cross boarder shenanigans, that was just after the first Bali bombings, the rest is history, it's a situation where the quick fix will only work for the Governments spin doctors in reality there ain't one.bah.gif

The quick fix is to negotiate and give them autonomy, the thai did steal the place just as they stole huge swaythes of cambodia.

Battambang and siem riep were only given back post ww2 as war reparations.

Verry true,give the stolen "kingdom" back.

Let the people live their life as they want ,get the thai -invaders out of the stolen provinces !

• Like 1

The quick fix is to negotiate and give them autonomy, the thai did steal the place just as they stole huge swaythes of cambodia.

Battambang and siem riep were only given back post ww2 as war reparations.

Verry true,give the stolen "kingdom" back.

Let the people live their life as they want ,get the thai -invaders out of the stolen provinces !

Oh, that's likely to happen. Next attempted stop would be xinjiang, and the Chinese don't pussy foot around like the Thais.

Ask the Israeli if there is a solution to the problem. They have enough experience going back to Moses. As things have been, they remain. Hatred, greed and ignorance all add fuel to the flames. Looks like a tough nut to crack.

... going back to Moses?, Maybe, if you disregard the 2000+ years that the Israelis were not in...Israel.

Look at pictures of the "people" who sprung from that area of the world. Look at pictures of Israeli politicians. Do they look like the same people?

Of course there are solutions. The question is how many more have to die first.

• Like 2

I think someone mentioned the other night "the clueless assigning the clueless" and why did Yingluck not travel south herself.

Seems what she has done to date has done something and it may pay off. It's a wait and see game now. Especially as all the above comments were unnecessary and proved wrong.

Anyone that thinks that a simple signing of an agreement will bring this to an end so quickly, would be foolish.

This will fester for ages.....radicalised groups do not understand peace.....

May be so, but peace talks have to have a starting point. In the other English language newspaper they talk specifically of the younger more radicalised separatists named "Juwae" and the hope that the previous generation of separatists can have some influence on them.

What is missing in all this is the buy-in from the military and as sunshine51 has said addressing transnational crime that has enriched officials from both sides of the border, contributed to instability and many killings.

The reason Malaysia is not helping out in realty is simply they want to also support the insurgency for the claim of the land. But the ridiculous nature of 'handing back' - Where do we start? Greece, Turkey, Rome, Celts, Normans, Vikings? Sorry guys, that is wishful thinking. Defeated nations lost their land and borders were redrawn as per the world's history. The various empires from Persia, Mongol, Chinese Dynasties, Germany at war and so on. Fortunately the warring has waned but we are left with a few hot spots. Thailand's claims and treatised borders mean the Malays have a legacy of the Brits which they reluctantly accepted. Now - a century on, they want independence through the civil onslaught of Islam and being goaded to build the faithful ranks. I think there is no easy solution as the Thai's settled and integrated and now Islam wishes to pull the rug from under. I think the only solution for Thailand is agree to percentage change of the borders and woe betide the Thai's left on the wrong side the fence. Failing which this is going to continue for decades. IMHO.

• Like 2

I would have thought this problem is pretty simple to resolve, only obstruction is if the powers to be wish to see justice being done

If you occupy somebody's land and they want you out, then you have to leave. Correct?

But if you the occupier has the guns and power to remain and you do not wish to leave, then we have a problem.

This scenario is an age old problem we have seen throughout the world as far back as year dot. In the past history has shown us the colonizing forces usually resolved the problem by wiping out most of the locals. Hence you have USA/Canada & Australia.

Today we have conflicts all over the world. In Afghanistan/Iraq we are led to believe that the western forces are there to educate the locals how to live in a democratic civil society. Really, they care that much? In Mali we are told that the French are there to liberate the women so they can wear more colorful clothes. Well that is news to me that the French care so much about black people in Mali. A brief study of the French actions in Africa during the past 100 years would give you goose bumps. Has something changed? We have seen the same actions committed by the 'liberating' forces in Afghanistan/Iraq.

'We' the mere mortals with little power see the injustices but the leaders who we appoint (not always the case) must somehow believe they are doing the right thing in our name. Our silence lets them continue these crimes. These problems are not as complicated as we are made to believe. The most complicated part in the equation is greed. In Southern Thailand there are vast gas resources. Now we get to the crunch of the problem. After all would you occupy someone else's house if it was a a run down dump?

We are all human and we need to respect each others rights and their property. I hope there are some like minded people in this forum who wish to see justice prevail above all else. Just a thought.

• Like 2

Koran instructions will not allow Islam to peacefully coexist with any other religion. And when other religions are eliminated, Islamist fight among themselves over who is the most genuine of Muslims [and therefore should be boss].

• Like 1

Koran instructions will not allow Islam to peacefully coexist with any other religion. And when other religions are eliminated, Islamist fight among themselves over who is the most genuine of Muslims [and therefore should be boss].

As an example, to support your opinion, please let us know why a million Christians, as well as Jews - in both Iraq and Syria had been able to coexist in a prominently Islamic culture for centuries. As a suggestion look up "People of the Book" within Islam

As an example, to support your opinion, please let us know why a million Christians, as well as Jews - in both Iraq and Syria had been able to coexist in a prominently Islamic culture for centuries. As a suggestion look up "People of the Book" within Islam

If those living there were allowed to choose their religion, or reject their bronze age myths altogether, you might have some credibility.

BTW Oz news last night reporting on the jailing of 4 muslims who decided a recent convert's drinking of alcohol gave them the right to beat the crap out of him. Now that he has decided the conversion was a mistake, we wait some zealot murdering him - in the name of god.

• Like 1

If those living there were allowed to choose their religion, or reject their bronze age myths altogether, you might have some credibility.

BTW Oz news last night reporting on the jailing of 4 muslims who decided a recent convert's drinking of alcohol gave them the right to beat the crap out of him. Now that he has decided the conversion was a mistake, we wait some zealot murdering him - in the name of god.

How about answering the question, rather than side tracking

How about answering the question, rather than side tracking

Did you ask me a question?

I was responding to the statement "will not allow Islam to peacefully coexist with any other religion". This contradicts the Koran and acknowledgement and acceptance of People of the Book. I pointed to some facts and got the usual non answer. Islamic extremists have willfully ignored this aspect of the Koran and the command in the Koran not to kill other followers of Islam. As per usual human beings follow their own agenda.

You seem to like to pick up on the stupidity of some followers of Islam. A couple of examples of the stupidity of extremists of another faith

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/extremists-vandalise-old-muslim-cemetery-in-jerusalem-.aspx?pageID=238&nid=41134

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/02/07/10339856-death-to-christians-suspected-jewish-extremists-deface-monastery?lite

I was responding to the statement "will not allow Islam to peacefully coexist with any other religion". This contradicts the Koran and acknowledgement and acceptance of People of the Book. I pointed to some facts and got the usual non answer. Islamic extremists have willfully ignored this aspect of the Koran and the command in the Koran not to kill other followers of Islam. As per usual human beings follow their own agenda.

You seem to like to pick up on the stupidity of some followers of Islam. A couple of examples of the stupidity of extremists of another faith

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/extremists-vandalise-old-muslim-cemetery-in-jerusalem-.aspx?pageID=238&nid=41134

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/02/07/10339856-death-to-christians-suspected-jewish-extremists-deface-monastery?lite

I need no convincing of the stupidity of the followers of any faith TYVM. As for the example I provided, their defence was that they were following sharia law.

Your claim that the koran says that muslims should not kill other muslims of "followers of the book" seems pretty weak given the number of inter- and extra-faith attacks perpetrated by muslims daily. As for us who reject their idiotic beliefs, I doubt killing us would be given a second thought, being obviously "god's work".

Today, this is the religion of violence, intimidation and coercion - against followers as much as "unbelievers".

Edited by OzMick
  • Like 1

I need no convincing of the stupidity of the followers of any faith TYVM. As for the example I provided, their defence was that they were following sharia law.

Your claim that the koran says that muslims should not kill other muslims of "followers of the book" seems pretty weak given the number of inter- and extra-faith attacks perpetrated by muslims daily. As for us who reject their idiotic beliefs, I doubt killing us would be given a second thought, being obviously "god's work".

Today, this is the religion of violence, intimidation and coercion - against followers as much as "unbelievers".

As we used to say over a pint. It's a good job they hate each other more than they hate us.

It's not a "claim", from the Koran just one example of many: Verily! Those who believe and those who are Jews and Christians, and Sabians, whoever believes in God and the Last Day and do righteous good deeds shall have their reward with their Lord, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

It's not a "claim", from the Koran just one example of many: Verily! Those who believe and those who are Jews and Christians, and Sabians, whoever believes in God and the Last Day and do righteous good deeds shall have their reward with their Lord, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

You are stepping into dangerous territory quoting the koran my friend. Better quit while you are ahead.

If you are an American or Australian, you are a fine one to give us an example. What happened to the locals that lived in the territories that you invaded and took over? You would make us believe they are coexisting peacefully after decades of genocide and humiliations committed against them.

Yes, you have a point though that the Arabs do like to massacre each other at the slightest chance they get. Just leave them to it.