Retirement Visa Extension - Recent Experience In Jomtien

lovetotravel

Just got back from immigration today to renew my retirement visa. Was in at 1:05 and out by 1:45. Have to go on Monday to pickup the passport.

The place was packed, but for some reason, I got through in record time. Seemed a lot of Burmese or Cambodians were there. Many.

Very easy process, very friendly staff. Went to Bangkok Bank around the corner first to get the bank letter, then the photo shop for a pic, then inside for my number.

FYI

Good to hear. I thought the Bangkok Bank on the corner was only a sub branch, do you have an account there or do they do letters for any Bangkok Bank account holder?

If it helps: I have my BKK Bank account in Bangkok but as I live in Pattaya I was recently able to get a local BKK Bank in Pattaya to do the immigration retirement letter for me.

Maybe helpful, my branch is only on 2nd Road but if I could get the letter at the Jomtien Office it saves a triangular trip into town. Not a problem, or even a difficulty really just a matter of convenience. Or Laziness!!biggrin.png

Good to hear. I thought the Bangkok Bank on the corner was only a sub branch, do you have an account there or do they do letters for any Bangkok Bank account holder?

My account was opened at Central Festival. But have used the various branches around town for a variety of things. No problems.

Works with SCB too. I've had the 800K Baht in accounts in the Soi Wat Boon branch and the Beach Road branch by Walking Street over the years, and I always get the letter for Immigration from the SCB branch in Jomtien right by Soi 5, even though I've never had an account there.

The last two years I did not need a bank letter. Is now required again???

I've always been asked for one for a retirement extension based on the 800KB deposit.

800,000 is the reason for a bank letter. Thank you for the info.
  • Like 1

I don't use the 800k in a bank method. I use income to get my retirement visa.

Last year, I had copies of my bank book, but nooooo...had to run around the corner and get the bank letter. So this year, I did it just in case and they took it. It must have been important, because I had copies of other stuff that they just handed back...this was one doc they kept.

I will be doing my first extension in April in Jomtien and will be using income to meet the requirement. I have copies of my monthly U.S Govt retirement annuity statements. Will that be sufficient, or do I need a letter from Bangkok Bank also? I have been transferring money monthly from my U.S.bank account to my Bangkok Bank account to pay rent and for other local expenses. If I go to my branch here in Pattaya and ask for the letter, will they know what I'm talking about? Does the letter only state the account balance or does it have other information included?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make this as painless as possible.

I will be doing my first extension in April in Jomtien and will be using income to meet the requirement. I have copies of my monthly U.S Govt retirement annuity statements. Will that be sufficient, or do I need a letter from Bangkok Bank also? I have been transferring money monthly from my U.S.bank account to my Bangkok Bank account to pay rent and for other local expenses. If I go to my branch here in Pattaya and ask for the letter, will they know what I'm talking about? Does the letter only state the account balance or does it have other information included?

As is usual with immigration, different people have different experiences. I've renewed 2 times and both times have had to provide this letter. IMHO, the best approach is to visit the BB branch just around the corner from immigration. It's on 2nd beach road. To the right as you are coming from immigration. They know exactly what's needed. It costs 100B.

Don't forget information regarding your residence. Rental agreement or whatever you have. If you don't have a copy of something, there's a place next door that does this for 5B per copy and does the photos as well.

I also recommend going back to that shop and getting a small laminated copy of your passport and visa to carry with you. Just in case....

Last year, I had copies of my bank book, but nooooo...had to run around the corner and get the bank letter.

I dont follow this. If you use the income method (with corresponding certification from your consulate) why do you show your bank book at all?

Having shown the book and offered copies it doesn't surprise me that the official wanted you to get the certification letter from the bank to go with it.

If I were you I would not mention the bank book and would not produce anything relating to it unless I was specifically asked for it.

You need proof of address too. They prefer a chanote.

Last year, I had copies of my bank book, but nooooo...had to run around the corner and get the bank letter. So this year, I did it just in case and they took it. It must have been important, because I had copies of other stuff that they just handed back...this was one doc they kept.

Interesting. Last year (July) using income method I didn't have a copy of my bank book or letter and neither were required.

There is no address on a Chanote.

My proof of address has always been the electric bill or cable bill. No one has ever told me, they "prefer" something else.

Feb. this year, they did not accept my electric bill. I was allowed to copy my 5 year driving license, as it is 2 years old.

There is no address on a Chanote.

I think chanote is the title? Mine have my condo address on them.

Went in this morning to get my passport back. Easy. Then asked about a multi-entry. Can not do now, come back at 1PM.

1PM the line was out the door and almost to the street! Waited and then the guy at the desk said if you don't need to travel now, better to come back later. Morning better. Over 100 people were in line for multi entry.

I said I was here this morning at 10AM and you said to come back at 1PM. Glazed look. Morning better. Next!

Such fun.

Went in this morning to get my passport back. Easy. Then asked about a multi-entry. Can not do now, come back at 1PM.

1PM the line was out the door and almost to the street! Waited and then the guy at the desk said if you don't need to travel now, better to come back later. Morning better. Over 100 people were in line for multi entry.

I said I was here this morning at 10AM and you said to come back at 1PM. Glazed look. Morning better. Next!

Such fun.

Their "morning" officially starts at 0830; but they usually open the doors at 0800 and allow you to take a ticket and sit in the aircon.

Last week I renewed my retirement visa. I was there by 0745 but still had to join a small queue. Doors opened at 0800 and by 0830 the place was crammed out to the entrance doors. I was finished by 0840 and on my way home.

Moral: Go early!

Such fun.

Their "morning" officially starts at 0830; but they usually open the doors at 0800 and allow you to take a ticket and sit in the aircon.

Last week I renewed my retirement visa. I was there by 0745 but still had to join a small queue. Doors opened at 0800 and by 0830 the place was crammed out to the entrance doors. I was finished by 0840 and on my way home.

Moral: Go early!

I renewed my retirement visa around 1PM on Friday. In and out in about 35 minutes. Seems the multi entry is the problem. I was there in the morning yesterday, along with a friend who came at a different time, and we were both told to come back after lunch.

I have some other friends headed there right now for their multi entry. I'll report on their experience also.

Be advised if you are using the income letter from your embassy, the letter must dated no greater than 90 days from your retirement visa anniversary date. We learned this at the American Embassy Outreach on March 1st.