Short Time Dive Insurance

Cybervlad

Hello,

I have a "general" insurance (i.e. incident, illness etc). But it not cover dive and other "extreme sport" incidents.

I already asked some dive centers if they can provide dive insurance for 2-3 days, all of them answer "no" and suggest buy DAN insurance.

But I dive 2-3 times a year, so buy 1-year DAN insurance is quite expensive.

Does anyone know where can I buy short-time dive insurance (2-3 days, up to 1 week) in Thailand?

As far as I know DAN is the only one who covers Scuba diving, did you look at DAN's trip insurance? https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/trip/

Many, many companies cover scuba diving, on many travel insurance policies it is even included in the standard policies. And in many countries it is even covered in the health insurance packages.

While I don't know about Divemaster out of the UK, I do know that DAN has dedicated and diving-knowledgeable people available 24-hours a day to handle any diving emergency. Few, if any, insurance companies that cover SCUBA diving with have that level and availability of knowledge when you need it. For them, diving related coverage is just another way to collect premiums and make money. Even if I were only diving once a year, DAN would be my insurance of choice. For the coverage and service available and the peace of mind from having it, DAN is not that expensive.

David

• Like 1

Some info

DAN is a membership based organization that has been trying to support its members with scuba diving insurance. DAN is not an insurance company but just a broker for its members. By signing up as a member with DAN, one shows support for a good organization, buying an insurance policy should not be one's primary objective, DAN also provide a lot of safety training for scuba divers, prevention is always better than treatment.

I don't know current insurance rates (around the world), but a scuba diving insurance is always expensive as in an event of an accident, an injured diver will need an evacuation, chamber treatments, which usually involve several visits to the chamber etc.

Out of Interest, how many divers here know CPR or first response treatment procedures?

Some info

DAN is a membership based organization that has been trying to support its members with scuba diving insurance. DAN is not an insurance company but just a broker for its members. By signing up as a member with DAN, one shows support for a good organization, buying an insurance policy should not be one's primary objective, DAN also provide a lot of safety training for scuba divers, prevention is always better than treatment.

I don't know current insurance rates (around the world), but a scuba diving insurance is always expensive as in an event of an accident, an injured diver will need an evacuation, chamber treatments, which usually involve several visits to the chamber etc.

Out of Interest, how many divers here know CPR or first response treatment procedures?

Not completely correct, DAN offers a short term insurance, which is competetively priced. The primary objective of this policy is to offer insurance. Of course DAN will (at least, I presume they will) try to make the people who have a short term insurance full fledged members.

Some info

EFR Instructor

David

Some info

EFR Instructor

David

Me too, EFR Instructor with CPR and AED.

Some info

EFR Instructor

David

Me too, EFR Instructor with CPR and AED.

Same here.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I use In Depth diving insurance which you can purchase online as and when needed. very good cover and costs 150 baht a day so less than a tenner for an open water course. Or around 3 quid for a days fun diving thumbsup.gif

Take this into account:

Buddy Travel Insurance is only available to people who are permanently resident and registered with a medical practitioner in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

I use In Depth diving insurance which you can purchase online as and when needed. very good cover and costs 150 baht a day so less than a tenner for an open water course. Or around 3 quid for a days fun diving thumbsup.gif

Take this into account:

Buddy Travel Insurance is only available to people who are permanently resident and registered with a medical practitioner in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

I don't use Buddy travel insurance ever. Which part of

INDEPTH DIVING INSURANCE

are you having trouble understanding.

I use it for people who walk in off the street and want to go diving. At the price quoted most say yes as it gives them piece of mind for the price of a few beers

Take this into account:

I don't use Buddy travel insurance ever. Which part of

INDEPTH DIVING INSURANCE

are you having trouble understanding.

I use it for people who walk in off the street and want to go diving. At the price quoted most say yes as it gives them piece of mind for the price of a few beers

The company is called Buddy In Depth. Their dive insurance is called Buddy Travel Insurance, see their website. So thank you, I am having no problems understanding, no need at all to start shouting.

But if you're talking about another company, please provide more information.

Sorry but yes you are having trouble. The company I use has no mention of Buddy or travel insurance

See here

http://www.indepths.org/

The customer doesn't have to be registered with a doctor in any particular country and everything is done online and very easy thumbsup.gif

Thank you. Google did not come up with this, maybe because there is on that website no mention at all of insurance? So first one has to become a member, and after that there are insurance options?

But I think I found it already, you probably mean Divemaster Insurance? A link on another website points to there, saying: dive master insurance, www.dive-master.net, www.indepths.org. So members from indepths.org can get a insurance at dive-master.net, at special conditions or special price? And the emergency provider is the same as mentioned on the indepth page.

See e.g. this text

"Dive Master Insurance is probably the largest independent provider of recreational dive related insurance in the world, and acts as Underwriting Managers for certain insurers based in Lloyd’s and Company markets in London. In fact Indepths products are so good they are recommended by some of the largest dive operators in Europe and Australasia. "

Or is it different?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but yes you are having trouble. The company I use has no mention of Buddy or travel insurance

See here

The customer doesn't have to be registered with a doctor in any particular country and everything is done online and very easy thumbsup.gif

Thank you. Google did not come up with this, maybe because there is on that website no mention at all of insurance? So first one has to become a member, and after that there are insurance options?

But I think I found it already, you probably mean Divemaster Insurance? A link on another website points to there, saying: dive master insurance, www.dive-master.net, www.indepths.org. So members from indepths.org can get a insurance at dive-master.net, at special conditions or special price? And the emergency provider is the same as mentioned on the indepth page.

See e.g. this text

"Dive Master Insurance is probably the largest independent provider of recreational dive related insurance in the world, and acts as Underwriting Managers for certain insurers based in Lloyd’s and Company markets in London. In fact Indepths products are so good they are recommended by some of the largest dive operators in Europe and Australasia. "

Or is it different?

Again, I visited the site to see the T&C's for insurance, but without having to become a member you can not get this information.

See here

See e.g. this text

Or is it different?

Again, I visited the site to see the T&C's for insurance, but without having to become a member you can not get this information.

Since the insurance is Divemaster's anyway, people interested best go directly to Divemaster. Which is a reputable company BTW.