The 1,000 Baht Note

thailien8

1,000 baht note problems?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Reading this letter from a recent Pattaya Mail reminds me of another scam that I fell for years ago, but have since taken care to avoid:

Dear Editor

The first time this happened I thought it was a “one off”, but the same scam was attempted on me yesterday for the second time.

I visited a popular chain fast food restaurant in the shopping plaza on Beach Road. I received my food and offered a 1000 Bt note as I wanted some change. The serving girl handed me 80 Bt as change and just stood there. When I didn’t walk away without the remaining 800 Bt, after some seconds, she handed over the cash.

I asked why she had only given some of the change and she claimed she was “sort cash”? So why give me some change and not all?

She, as on the first time this happened, had written her name on her badge in Thai. I asked for her name (very politely) and was given the full formal name of my little thief in very strong “Issan” which I could not understand even though I can understand a lot of Thai.

I expect such scams now as a matter of course, but not in a big company like this, and it would seem, not a “one off” but involving other staff.

I had a word with the manager who seemed to think it was not possible to get cash out of the till without being seen so staff would not benefit from the theft. It doesn’t take a mastermind to work out that a quick call to a friend and the issuing of extra change with a small order by that friend would get the money out of the till and into my little thief’s hands!

Whenever I need to break a 1000 baht note, I am careful to do it in a hopefully safe way: (1) recharge my Skytrain or Subway card (2) pay the bill in a place where they know me (3) buy something in a reputable business, especially where I can stand next to the cashier as she changes my money (4) change the 1000 baht note in a food court while buying 100 or 200 worth of food coupons (5) pay the check-bin for my drink(s), lady drink(s) and her bar fine in a gogo bar or beer bar, which will total up somewhere between 500 and 1000 baht.

So the questions are: Have you any stories or advice to tell about how to avoid being ripped off when you are stuck paying with a 1,000 baht note?

I had a word with the manager who seemed to think it was not possible to get cash out of the till without being seen so staff would not benefit from the theft.

Unless they have security cameras on the till, very easy. Trick is to fold it very quickly with one hand as you take it out, it then fits into a very small neat square in the palm of your hand and you barely have to brush your hand over your pocket to complete the job. :D

Whenever paying for something with a 1000 baht, especially in small places or at bars or something, always say as you give it to them "1000 baht", that'll make them think twice before trying it on. :o

Whenever paying for something with a 1000 baht, especially in small places or at bars or something, always say as you give it to them "1000 baht", that'll make them think twice before trying it on. :D

Excellent advice. The only exception is paying for a bill when the waitress/bargirl has to walk away to a cashier in order to get your change.

Once the 1000 baht note is out of sight, the cashier will send back change for 500 baht.

I've had a few arguments over this scam even though the waitress/bargirl was verbally informed by me that I had given her a 1000 baht note. :o

For that reason I usually take my 'bin' to the cashier personally to pay. That way I can stand there and watch whilst they sort out my change. :D

:o Good advice about changing a 1000 bt note on the skytrain, however, do be aware that I have been turned over three or four times at On nut for change of a 100 bht note. The first three times it happened we had just moved to Bangkok and I was juggling two children and a buggy. The individual in question would ask where I wanted to go to, say the price -20bt for example- and then hand over 80X10bht coins. Really i was so daft. I think because I use the service so often they may know me now and don't try it. :D

Probably should write allegedly turned over.........

The last couple of times the mistakes have been to my advantage. I think often the operators are often distracted or just indifferent to the situation.

Each time I have given the money back, as I know the mistake comes out of the operators pocket.

12 years in Thailand, never happend to me. I do however usually APOLOGIZE for not having smaller change, and say I'm sorry to inconvenience them having to come up with a pile of change.

Works brilliantly, and you're not giving them a vibe of mistrust, which is what you would do if you just wave the 1000 note in their face yelling 'THOUSAND NA!!!'.

Doing it my way is much more civilized and actually gains you polliteness brownie points as you're seen to care.

12 years in Thailand, never happend to me. I do however usually APOLOGIZE for not having smaller change, and say I'm sorry to inconvenience them having to come up with a pile of change.

Works brilliantly, and you're not giving them a vibe of mistrust, which is what you would do if you just wave the 1000 note in their face yelling 'THOUSAND NA!!!'.

Doing it my way is much more civilized and actually gains you polliteness brownie points as you're seen to care.

I'm with you on that one.

Anything under 300 baht I always ask if they can change it ,not just cos I don't trust them but also because I normaly have smaller notes anyway.

A while back I was given change for ฿500 when I knew I had given the girl ฿1,000.

This was in Tesco-Lotus in Pattaya.

When I pointed her mistake out to her, the girl was having none of it. She just shook her head and made to serve the next customer, but I just pushed the goods back.

I told her I was not moving until I was given the correct change.

Eventually a more senior employee arrived to try and diffuse the situation.

He then proceeded to take some readings before removing the cash drawer and disappearing.

Some twenty minutes later he returned, replaced the drawer and I was handed a ฿500 note.

What irked me most was that no apology whatsoever was forthcoming from him or the Cashier.

I was not actually rude with my parting words to the pair, although perhaps a tad blunt.

And to cap it all, my Thai girlfriend went into a sulk because as I had caused them to lose face, she had therefore also lost hers.

How does that work...? :o

:D Being the caring kind individual that I am, I always apologise for not having smaller money. I always liken it to paying for a 25p bar of choc in the uK with a tenner. Still, doens't alter the fact that I have been taken for a ride :o

:D Being the caring kind individual that I am, I always apologise for not having smaller money. I always liken it to paying for a 25p bar of choc in the uK with a tenner. Still, doens't alter the fact that I have been taken for a ride :o

The problem is the ATMs all dish out 1000s, but no-one has change for them...

> The problem is the ATMs all dish out 1000s, but no-one

> has change for them...

Try withdrawing 900 baht two or three times. Guaranteed no 1000 baht notes. :D

Also very easy to fill up petrol to 1100 baht these days and get change from 2000... :o:D

:D Time for a top tip I think. When you use the atm, withdraw 900 baht rather than 1000 or 3900 etc. Artful eh :o

The man is right. I always get B1,900 or 3,900, etc.

Just press "Withdrawl" Select "Savings" or "Current" account, then enter your desired amount in multiples of B100.

The Sky Train is also a good place to get change. And it is always a good idea to say "nung pan baht" (one thousand baht) when presenting a 1,000 baht note for payment.

Lance

> The problem is the ATMs all dish out 1000s, but no-one

> has change for them...

Try withdrawing 900 baht two or three times. Guaranteed no 1000 baht notes. :D

Also very easy to fill up petrol to 1100 baht these days and get change from 2000... :D :D

Will you not end up being charged a min transaction fee on all three of those transactions though depending on your bank?

Lose a fair bit of money that way I would have thought. :o

This thread should be a non starter, if you have trouble getting the correct change when you spend your money then you should not be out in the big bad world all by yourself. (your always welcome at my till though)

Noodles.

Maybe you could show me how you do it...................

I'll stand behind you whilst you try get your 990 baht change from a baht bus driver. :o

> I'll stand behind you whilst you try get your 990 baht

> change from a baht bus driver.

Why not make it more interesting and stand in front of the baht bus while paying with the 1000 note? :o

Anyway I received 10 baht change from my 20 last weekend, I'd say that's about par. :D I did make sure to rush out, overtake the geezer getting off at the same spot, made it to the truck window before him, then triumphantly waited for the change to materialize while blocking the other guy expertly until I received my golden coin. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

I use, essentially exclusively, the same pair of ATM machines which are right next to a currency exchange window, and all affiliated with the same adjoining bank. So after withdrawing from the ATM my usual amount all in 1000 baht bills, I take a few steps to the right and give it to the girl in the exchange booth to change to 500 baht bills.

Other than making a withdrawal for a specific payment, like my rent, I never carry 1000 baht bills on me. Their advantage over 500 baht notes to me is significantly less than the potential hassle factor of changing them. In fact, I try to limit my 500 baht note usage to higher volume shops like 7-11 or other places that can change them without a second thought. Street vendors, taxi drivers, etc. I prefer to never handle larger than a 100 baht bill from me.

I use, essentially exclusively, the same pair of ATM machines which are right next to a currency exchange window, and all affiliated with the same adjoining bank. So after withdrawing from the ATM my usual amount all in 1000 baht bills, I take a few steps to the right and give it to the girl in the exchange booth to change to 500 baht bills.

Other than making a withdrawal for a specific payment, like my rent, I never carry 1000 baht bills on me. Their advantage over 500 baht notes to me is significantly less than the potential hassle factor of changing them. In fact, I try to limit my 500 baht note usage to higher volume shops like 7-11 or other places that can change them without a second thought. Street vendors, taxi drivers, etc. I prefer to never handle larger than a 100 baht bill from me.

Great advice, i never walk around with 1000's i always get change in the morning from a bank or currency exchange and just make sure i have loads of 100's and 20's this pays for most things i want during the day and i carry a few 500's for more expensive stuff i might need. :o

> I'll stand behind you whilst you try get your 990 baht

> change from a baht bus driver.

Why not make it more interesting and stand in front of the baht bus while paying with the 1000 note?

Anyway I received 10 baht change from my 20 last weekend, I'd say that's about par. I did make sure to rush out, overtake the geezer getting off at the same spot, made it to the truck window before him, then triumphantly waited for the change to materialize while blocking the other guy expertly until I received my golden coin.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Thank you Khun Chanchao, and Mr. Mighty Mouse, for neutralizing the (IMHO) ridiculous blurt from English Noodles about this thread being a non-starter. I am so happy that E.N. has never had any problem with changing one of the Thai ATM 1000 baht specials. I can only hope that his luck continues. For the rest of us, out here in the big, bad world all by ourselves, trying not to get ripped off in this big, bad world, I started this thread, which I think embodies a valid concern. If English Noodles could care less about getting ripped off by having his 1000 baht note magically shortchanged into a 500, more power to him. Personally, I do care, and believe others do too. So far, I'm surprised that no one has offered a sad tale about the King's Group bars on Patpong, as I've noticed they now ask punters to sign their check-bins, in order to avoid ripoffs, much to the obvious chagrin of the waiter guys. I can't help but believe some 1000 baht note ripoffs were involved in this unwelcome development.