Water Hyacinth For Tilapia Pha Nin

jayci

Don't waste your time, stick to the pellet feed and buy them from the supplier who will harvest your fishes... unless you plan to sell the fishes yourself. No wholesaler will buy your fishes in bulk (the whole pond) if you don't buy their feed and fingerlings.

Edited by RedBullHorn

Thanks for the heads up redbullhorn. I think my initial setup will be too small to interest wholesalers. But will keep it in mind for the future.

Redbullhorn, why did you choose catfish over tilapia?

You could try growing duckweed on a "fertilised" pond and not feeding them. A few traps on oxygen levels for tilapia but not so hard.

Yeah the duckweed looks good. Only that with the water hyacinth there is thousands and thousands of kgs growing for free in the lake.

OK ... do the Tilapia eat the water hyacinth?

post-104736-0-58552600-1362278728_thumb.

Here is a pond which has water hyacinth growing in it.

When the Fish are fed a pelletised feed, then the attraction of water hyacinth is limited.

There were maybe 8 or 10 islands of water hyacinth in this Tilapia stocked pond.

I observed it for over 2 months.

No tangible increase in size of the vegetation, so you can presume that it was used as a

minor supplement to their feeding regime, but not a primary food.

Observation method only.

• Like 1

A few issues, the water Hyacinth is 93% water and a lower protein level. It also is prone to absorb pathogens from the water. This means it really should be chopped up and sun dried,too much work. The tilapia will keep it under control as they do water lettuce, the tilapia fed on the roots which leaves a lot of dead lettuce leaves on the pond, ultimately leading to methane generation. Duckweed or azolla are easier to control the spread on the surface, higher protein and completely consumed.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up redbullhorn. I think my initial setup will be too small to interest wholesalers. But will keep it in mind for the future. Redbullhorn, why did you choose catfish over tilapia?

1. Clarias catfish toleration range are higher than Pla Nin (Tilapia),

2. shorter rearing period (average 3 months),

3. 1 year 3 cycle, faster ROI,

4. I'm an impatient man, i don't like to wait to long for profit. laugh.png

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 2

We quit feeding our fish about a year ago. I have no desire to raise fish for the thieves. My wife has tried to grow many different aquatic plants and none have survived. The fish eat them all. She hauled many trailer loads of some sort of plants that grow long vines. Those plants seem to grow well but eventually the fish eat them all. She too has given up. For awhile the pond seemed balanced with huge catfish that apparently ate the small pla nin but the thieves managed to steal most of the catfish and that pond is now filled with stunted pla nin with very few catfish remaining.

I have come to the conclusion that if you want to raise fish, someone has to guard them 24/7.

fish guard 2000bt/month(retired Thai). plus night lighting. judging from redbullhorns posts. maybe an overpowered electric fence would work too.

CCTV maybe?

Since the farm is not on the electric grid, lights are out of the question. Cameras? They would steal them for sure. We did have my wife's nephew guarding the pond and he was shooting the biggest fish with his black powder rifle and selling the fish. I lost heart, not really because of the money loss but because of not being able to keep the fish that I fed and raised.

If the government ever sees fit to extend the electric grid, I may build a house and live there. I'd likely try the fish again but NOT at the present time.

fish guard 2000bt/month(retired Thai). plus night lighting. judging from redbullhorns posts. maybe an overpowered electric fence would work too.

CCTV maybe?

Plus his housing located in the centre of the fish ponds (no, not in the water!)

The gf's Father pays his Farm Hand, B5,000/month, then add free housing, elec and rice.

Nothing can stop a patient and cunning thief, no bard wires, no fences (not even electric fences, so easy to short circuit them and you end up paying to fix damage breakers and cut-out and have no power for the whole night. laugh.png ) no CCTV ,no dogs (poison) if free to roam around, no sleep-through-the-night guard.

The most efficient ways are :

Keep the dogs trained and keep them close to the farmhouse, enclose the farmhouse with wire mesh to keep them in and don't let them run out. They will get distracted roaming the open farm. Always wake up to check when the dogs bark, even if they bark randomly through out the whole night, you can always make up the lost of sleep by napping in the day. When it becomes a habit, thief will be wary knowing that you never fail to check if the dogs bark. You will know the different of the bark if it is barking at a snake, a passing crab, an owl or heron or a tree frog on the wall... and the big different of an astonishing strong and long bark of an intruder with LED head lamp going about his business electrict fishing illegally by the stream or hunting for frogs, paddy rats or hunting birds while shinning their head light searching through the trees. Sometimes I'd go up to them and surprise them by waiting upstream while they're electric fishing, I'd ask them how is their catch suddenly when they approach and they will jump with a frighten and funny posture. laugh.png Then the news spread fast about me guarding the farm at night with a rifle when I'm actually lighting up big size ping pong bomblet to scare away predatory birds during day time (with acknowledgment and approval by my village chief UIL). Now people stay away or detour on approaching my farm area at night.

Keep the grasses trimed, no place to hide and can't camouflage.

Light up the whole farm with energy-saving bulbs so it looks like an airport runway, it is the best method of deterrence and can really be discouraging for thief to hang around. At my level, high electricity bill is just a very small portion of my huge profit, I'd rather be safe than sorry. smile.png

Edited by RedBullHorn

Nothing can stop a patient and cunning thief, no bard wires, no fences (not even electric fences, so easy to short circuit them and you end up paying to fix damage breakers and cut-out and have no power for the whole night. laugh.png ) no CCTV ,no dogs (poison) if free to roam around, no sleep-through-the-night guard.

The most efficient ways are :

Keep the dogs trained and keep them close to the farmhouse, enclose the farmhouse with wire mesh to keep them in and don't let them run out. They will get distracted roaming the open farm. Always wake up to check when the dogs bark, even if they bark randomly through out the whole night, you can always make up the lost of sleep by napping in the day. When it becomes a habit, thief will be wary knowing that you never fail to check if the dogs bark. You will know the different of the bark if it is barking at a snake, a passing crab, an owl or heron or a tree frog on the wall... and the big different of an astonishing strong and long bark of an intruder with LED head lamp going about his business electrict fishing illegally by the stream or hunting for frogs, paddy rats or hunting birds while shinning their head light searching through the trees. Sometimes I'd go up to them and surprise them by waiting upstream while they're electric fishing, I'd ask them how is their catch suddenly when they approach and they will jump with a frighten and funny posture. laugh.png Then the news spread fast about me guarding the farm at night with a rifle when I'm actually lighting up big size ping pong bomblet to scare away predatory birds during day time (with acknowledgment and approval by my village chief UIL). Now people stay away or detour on approaching my farm area at night.

Keep the grasses trimed, no place to hide and can't camouflage.

Light up the whole farm with energy-saving bulbs so it looks like an airport runway, it is the best method of deterrence and can really be discouraging for thief to hang around. At my level, high electricity bill is just a very small portion of my huge profit, I'd rather be safe than sorry. smile.png

Very good advise. Need some ping pong bomblet, sounds like fun.

laugh.png my fellow newbie, there're rules of law in regard to the above mentioned item, it is considered under the firearms law of Thailand, please consult with you village chief before you lock & load.

Edited by RedBullHorn

my fellow newbie, there're rules of law in regard to the above mentioned item, it is considered under the firearms law of Thailand, please consult with you village chief before you lock & load.

Of course, I would consult with village chief. But still would not know where to buy little pong pongs.

The Farm Family use these ping pong crackers.

Though 'ping pong' size ... not really ... well, not the ones that we bought, these were smaller.

About the size of a big fat black grape.

It was a parting gift to the Farm a packet of them.

We bought them at the local riverside market.

Did you know that some of those big firecrackers have fuses that burn underwater? They use those for stealing fish too. They launch their inner tubes and drop firecrackers tied to rocks in the water as they float around. The stunned fish are then easily gathered into their net bags. My wife has thrown brush into the pond to discourage the large nets but the clever thieves will find a way to steal your fish no matter what you do.

Did you know that some of those big firecrackers have fuses that burn underwater? They use those for stealing fish too. They launch their inner tubes and drop firecrackers tied to rocks in the water as they float around. The stunned fish are then easily gathered into their net bags. My wife has thrown brush into the pond to discourage the large nets but the clever thieves will find a way to steal your fish no matter what you do.

Mate,

Where can I get a few of those? I have some big catfish to clear from my pond.

Mate,

Where can I get a few of those? I have some big catfish to clear from my pond.

I don't know but if you find you find a fireworks dealer, look for the big ones that have a thick braided fuse. The quarter sticks of dynamite with detonation caps are also frequently used.