The Melting Pot : Pattaya

homeownership

A friend of mind is currently in the Pattaya Area and was saying there are so unusual nationalities that have move in, which have in some areas suplanted Europeans and prior to that Americans.

He said there are a lot of Russians, Nigerians, Arabs ans Indians now visiting Pattaya. Has anyone else noticed this and if so, in your opinion has the city improved with this new influx of nationalities are they getting alone.

Does anyone know if they are spending any money. Do they indulge in the wide range of activities on offer in Patttaya.

My friend said this was the last time he would take the time to visit and said he thought it was finished in his eyes. of course that his opinion and he is entitled to it, would you agree though or is this a change in demographics and nothing more ?

Really interested to know.

Is there any difference comparing Pattaya with your Western country?

In Australia, it is a great challenge to pick out the Australians. It seems that Western countries are being overrun with immigrants from everywhere.

Pattaya is a holiday destination, so it stands to reason that there will be an abundance of falang tourists.

Aussies Americans Western Europeans all mix together. The Russians and Eastern Europeans do not mix, not even with one another. Arabs stick together and mingle with themselves, as does the Indian community.

Is this a melting pot?? I think not. We are all just in 1 big city called Pattaya.

When people who live outside of Pattaya write about us ,they seem to think that Pattaya extends from 3rd road to beach rd and jomtien ,well most of us expats live well away from the tourist areas ,where there are no Russians ,no Indians ,No Arabs ,just the usuall mix of Westerners there has always been Pattaya central is a tourist town ,the come ,they go ,but we stay all the time ,its the same in tourist towns the world over.

• Like 2

My wife wonders where the farang are on WS these days. She thinks they are broke maybe? laugh.png Well, WS is not Pattaya. If you travel to the dark side the number or Russians and Indians shrinks dramatically. How many Russians and Indians live on the dark side? Probably only a few.

My wife wonders where the farang are on WS these days. She thinks they are broke maybe? laugh.png Well, WS is not Pattaya. If you travel to the dark side the number or Russians and Indians shrinks dramatically. How many Russians and Indians live on the dark side? Probably only a few.

Please let me coorect that for you.

If you travel to the dark side the number or Russians and Indians shrinks hasn't risen dramatically YET

How many Russians and Indians live on the dark side?

I dont know about Indians but the Russians (and associated nationalities) are absolutely everywhere.

I've never seen a Russian around the areas i frequent and live.

In Khao Talo russians are everywhere, though not nearly as prevelent as in Pattaya city center

Edited by SinghaJoe

I live in a village of 150 houses on the darkside, I would guess at maybe 20 homes in total would have Indians as renters.

They tend not to own as they are here for employment usually. They are no trouble & stick to themselves mainly.

If that ratio is consistant on the darkside, that adds up to a lot of Indians over here.

Never had a Russian live here, hope that continues for a long time.

When I first came here 8 years ago... there was a strong population of Brits and Germans in the Nothern part of Pattaya. Because of the economy sliding downward, they don't seem to be retiring here anymore (besides, you can buy a condo just as cheap as in pattaya now days--with good infrastructure). Since I have arrived, the Russians have taken over as the majority. If it wasn't for them, then the economy here would be on the negative side. Then there are the cheap, cheap package tours for the Indians and Chinese that are now visiting Pattaya. The problem with this, (as a local Thai has told me) is that they do not spend money beyond their tour package. The girlie bars in Pattaya are NOT doing great business like they use to since there are less Westerners visiting the city. Russians bring their girlfriends or wife and prefer to buy their big bottle of Chang at the local Seven Eleven and not visit the go-go girlie bars. I think it is safe to say things have changed in pattaya..but there is still business going on here. Change of the times.

My wife owns a Beauty Salon in the KaoNoi/KaoTalo area.

The number of Russian customers has increased ~200% over the last year.

Mostly couples, always friendly, we never had the slightest problems with them.

And...more important for my wife: They are NOT "cheap-charlies". wink.png

They are always generous with a "tip"

Wow Really !! Well I guess if you mean like the Russians that can't say Please or Thank You never tip are Rude and with no manners. Now Im not saying all of then only 98% are like this for !! Thai bar & restaurant owners on some beach's like Kamala have had signs up in front of their places saying Russians not aloud !! Then I guess I'll take Western Farangs any day

My wife owns a Beauty Salon in the KaoNoi/KaoTalo area.

The number of Russian customers has increased ~200% over the last year.

Indeed. They are absolutely everywhere, even if people who live nearby dont realise it.

I'm not saying that the Russians are in any way inferior to other farangs (in fact looking at many of the Brits who live on the darkside, the Russians are probably several notches above them) but they are certainly very numerous. The shop signs just haven't caught up with the transformation, yet.

It's like the Soi Buakow area; the number of Russian signs has more than doubled in the last year and will probably do the same again this year.

Pattayastok and Jomtienski are now Russian enclaves. Russians, unlike many previous tourists/expats, tend to not speak English and seem to keep to themselves. I have heard, from several restaurant owners, that they typically do not spend a lot of money, BUT, when they do decide to eat at some place they often do spend good money. There are far too many UK hoodlem types, many look like "skinheads" are are tatooed from top to bottom, looking for trouble. Personally, I do not like the demographic change that has taken place, especially over the past 10 years (along with the unsustainable pattern of growth).

I have said it before and I will say it again the Russians are still a big improvement on the lager louts who just a few years back used to patrol Pattaya in large numbers.

The new reality is that Pattaya has changed to a mass market tourism destination with huge influxes of package tourists.

The biggest problem in Pattaya is not the Russians but the constant large number of people pouring into a Pattaya where the infrastructure has not kept pace with the amount of people.

Traffic congestion and pollution and overcrowding are the big negatives now and for me have made Pattaya undesirable to live in.

• Like 2

In particular growth means its no longer good to live here,

the day never comes now when there is no traffic jam, i dont go out from my house unless i have no other choice

Think you might be mistaken about the traffic jams. There is undoubtedly more traffic due to growth but it still flows quite well on occasions when the traffic lights fail. The biggest causes of the jams are the failure of the powers that be to operate the lights efficiently, the failure to stop people double parking and tour and baht buses stopping wherever the fancy takes them to pick up and drop off passengers. It might also help if they didn't block half the intersections in town to stop people turning right thus forcing them either to make dangerous (possibly illegal) u-turns or sit for an age burning fuel at the next over long stop light.

I have said it before and I will say it again the Russians are still a big improvement on the lager louts who just a few years back used to patrol Pattaya in large numbers.

The new reality is that Pattaya has changed to a mass market tourism destination with huge influxes of package tourists.

The biggest problem in Pattaya is not the Russians but the constant large number of people pouring into a Pattaya where the infrastructure has not kept pace with the amount of people.

Traffic congestion and pollution and overcrowding are the big negatives now and for me have made Pattaya undesirable to live in.

Agree 100% that Russians &c are an improvement on soccer holligans and larger louts.

I hope their currency continues to decline in value against the Baht.

In particular growth means its no longer good to live here,

the day never comes now when there is no traffic jam, i dont go out from my house unless i have no other choice

Think you might be mistaken about the traffic jams. There is undoubtedly more traffic due to growth but it still flows quite well on occasions when the traffic lights fail. The biggest causes of the jams are the failure of the powers that be to operate the lights efficiently, the failure to stop people double parking and tour and baht buses stopping wherever the fancy takes them to pick up and drop off passengers. It might also help if they didn't block half the intersections in town to stop people turning right thus forcing them either to make dangerous (possibly illegal) u-turns or sit for an age burning fuel at the next over long stop light.

lol