Jungceylon

kc-phil

apparently the dispute that was holding it up has been resolved and the work will restart...

they expected it to be open by the end of this high season, look o nthe phuket gazette there was a story about it a few weeks back

Latest wisdom here in Patong has it, that Jungceylon will finally open around November 2006; however, since they have still not resumed work, I would think that to be one of those "Thai deadlines", so it might be a few weeks/months later still...

I still cannot see, where -- at least in low season -- all the customers should come from so that shops inside this giant thing will be able to survive; I would not expect the Thais to come over the mountain to buy in there when they have Central right in the midle of the way from Phuket Town.

Latest wisdom here in Patong has it, that Jungceylon will finally open around November 2006; however, since they have still not resumed work, I would think that to be one of those "Thai deadlines", so it might be a few weeks/months later still...

I still cannot see, where -- at least in low season -- all the customers should come from so that shops inside this giant thing will be able to survive; I would not expect the Thais to come over the mountain to buy in there when they have Central right in the midle of the way from Phuket Town.

I think it'll be very successful. Who is going to drive from Karon/Kata/Karim etc to Central or Lotus when they can stop at Jungceylon and get everything (including Carrefore)? Patong is crying out for a family friendly destination and Jungceylon will fill that gap very nicely imho.

As well as being convenient it will be a destination in itself since it is so big and spectacular. I took a tour inside a few weeks ago and it is very impressive, and they have some major international players signed up for retail space there.

The transfer of Manit Udomkunnatum’s 53% share in Phuket Square Co Ltd – the company that owns Jungceylon – to Rattanakamchai Co will take place on March 28, after which construction of the Patong mall will restart, the Gazette has learned.

After the transfer, Rattanakamchai will pass the shares to Real Estate Capital Asia Partners (Recap), a US-registered investment fund that recently rescued the project from a seemingly insoluble dispute between K. Manit and Tanit Rattanakamchai, Managing Director of Rattanakamchai Co.

The amount Recap paid for its 53% share of the project remains a closely guarded secret.

The transfers of shares will take place at the Phuket Provincial Commercial Office, a Jungceylon source told the Gazette, confirming that contractor Power Line will most likely go back on site by April, with the mall opening by November.

“Construction has not restarted yet,” the source said, “but it is certain that once the transfer of shares has been effected, [Jungceylon] will open on time.”

Source: The Phuket Gazette

Edited by baabaabobo