Income

English Noodles

What is the difference between the average income of a person or household in Bangkok compared with rural areas? I have been looking on the internet but dont seem to be able to find any up-to-date information on this subject.

Any ideas?

Noodles.

I remember some NESDB study a few years ago that estimated average household income of BKK residents at about 40,000b per month, which would seem about right (bear in mind the wealth distribution of a few very high income per month people balances out a lot of lower income people, the GINI index, a measure of weath distribution is a way to view this and Thailand's wealth distribution is strongly skewed, and looks very similar to USA's wealth distribution).

Many of the people in BKK on low income (the squatters, taxi drivers, maids, etc) are actually not BKK residents, and are from Isaan.

I am not sure what the upcountry people's household income would be, but at a guess the rural component outside of the cities would be where most of the below $1USD per day people are.... so totally guessing (unlike the number above) I would guess at somewhere around on average 3,000b per household per month. There is a way you could calculate this by deducting out BKK, but bear in mind there are other cities as well with higher incomes that you also need to back out.

Here's an example - A maid in Bangkok gets 8,000 a month from a farnag family.

In Khon Kaen a farang family gives the maid 3,000 a month.

A psychologist know in Udon is going to Bangkok for the big money - 9,000 in Udon and 13,000 for Bkk.

I'd guess Bangkok pays about 50% more in general.

The minimum wage in Bangkok is about 180 baht a day.

Mahasarakham it's about 140 baht.

8000 is what our accounting lady gets :o

8000 motorbike for company (pay motorbike and gasoline himself)

Samut prakarn

A psychologist know in Udon is going to Bangkok for the big money - 9,000 in Udon and 13,000 for Bkk.

I'd guess Bangkok pays about 50% more in general.

The minimum wage in Bangkok is about 180 baht a day.

Mahasarakham it's about 140 baht.

I live up in the Central region and we have a couple of people working for us.

We only pay 4,000 baht for the two of them, but we built them a small house, they get free water and electricity, a sack of rice (or more if necessary) a month.

They only work a 6 day week and the work is not too hard except around the planting and reaping time. Usually then we feed the whole team at lunchtime.

The wife sometimes looks after our 19 month old son and their family stays as well and when there is no work for the husband he goes off with the family and works elsewhere locally unless we need him.

We support them in whatever is necessary and the also eat with us often.

A "friend" of ours asked them to work for her at more money and my wife said that they could if they wanted no problem but that if it didn't work out there would be no place for them here. They said that they would stay anyway regardless of what was offered.

Our "friend" has done that to several local people who are also friends of ours and they have left her as well so we must be doing something right.

My wife have a distant relative who lives in the northern privince of Lumphun. She has been a nurse for the gov't hospital for 20 years and I think she's a head nurse. If not mistaken I believe her income is approx. 20000 bht/month or little less due to wage freeze for the last 5 years

I have friends that live in Bangkok and pay their employees as follows:

Maid "live-in" is paid 6,000 Baht a month.

Nanny "live-in" is paid 8,000 Baht a month.

Driver does not "live in" but is also on call after normal hours is paid 7,000 Baht a month.

The maid and driver are both from Isaan (Ubon Ratchatani.)

:o