Ipstar Star Express 2

Mobi

My IP-Star is fantastic now I upgraded it to the dustbin :o

Name : Mr. Thanapong Na Ranong

Designation : Director - Broadband Applications Development

Company : Shin Satellite Pubilc Co., Ltd.

Address : Thaicom Satellite Station, 41/103 (Moo 8 ) Rattanathibet Road,Nonthaburi 11000

Name : Mr. Pipope Suwanthada

Designation : Senior Technican

Company : Shin Satellite Pubilc Co., Ltd.

Address : Thaicom Satellite Station, 41/103 (Moo 8 ) Rattanathibet Road,Nonthaburi 11000

http://www.nstda.or.th/mtd/participants-pri.php

I paid up and had ipstar's express 2 pkg installed on the theory that with my own personal sat dish things can't go wrong, right?

wrong! ipstar has taken my money and the service is as someone accurately said here, lousy to unusable.

i wonder if this amounts to breach of contract. in many countries consumers would be able to take a case like this to court, because the company is promoting and selling something that it essentially can't deliver. it takes our money and sits on it.

i have made dozens of calls, when they get through i'm told yes we have a problem, we know, it's the gateway, or its the bandwidth, it will be sorted out next week. it is never sorted out.

my point is, i think they don't have the right to sell something that doesn't work!! if we all band together (er, no pun) maybe we can get them to either fix the problem, or refund our cash and take their precious dishes back?

I upgraded To the 512/256 package with effect from the 1st June, in the folorn hope that I might get a better service than I was getting on the 256 /128 connection.

I honestly believe the service is worse now than it was previously. I frequently get single figure band widths, and the best I have had is around 160, which is on very rare occasions.

This is now costing me 4280 baht a month - that's 63 quid - for an absolute crap - often unusable service. I have emailed them, and they replied 7 days ago saying they were 'investigating'. Haven't heard anything since.

What on earth can we do about it? - This is seriously pissing me off!! :o:D

I upgraded To the 512/256 package with effect from the 1st June, in the folorn hope that I might get a better service than I was getting on the 256 /128 connection.

I honestly believe the service is worse now than it was previously. I frequently get single figure band widths, and the best I have had is around 160, which is on very rare occasions.

This is now costing me 4280 baht a month - that's 63 quid - for an absolute crap - often unusable service. I have emailed them, and they replied 7 days ago saying they were 'investigating'. Haven't heard anything since.

Hello

I followed all these discussion here...I have Star Express 1 since May 06 and so far I am quite satisfied, except for a few interruptions from time to time. Back in Europe I had ADSL 6000, well thats another thing for sure, but given the fact that we can't get ADSL here in the Maprachen area I am happy with my IP Star, as it is much faster than my modem connection.

What are your signal meter readings? I usually see Signal Strength 82 - 83 and EsN0 of 10.5 - 11.

The IP Star Box is connected to a WLAN Router, which also works ok.

I also thought to upgrade to 512/256, but as I currently paying 1800 Baht, I find the upgrade too expensive.

Anyway good luck with your setup

Moo9

Hello

I followed all these discussion here...I have Star Express 1 since May 06 and so far I am quite satisfied, except for a few interruptions from time to time. Back in Europe I had ADSL 6000, well thats another thing for sure, but given the fact that we can't get ADSL here in the Maprachen area I am happy with my IP Star, as it is much faster than my modem connection.

What are your signal meter readings? I usually see Signal Strength 82 - 83 and EsN0 of 10.5 - 11.

The IP Star Box is connected to a WLAN Router, which also works ok.

I also thought to upgrade to 512/256, but as I currently paying 1800 Baht, I find the upgrade too expensive.

Anyway good luck with your setup

Moo9

Well I don't know if you've got "beginner's luck" because I don't of anyone who is satisfied with their Ipstar, especially since June 1st when the services has deteriorated sharply.

My signal strength is never below 88and often 90, and EsNo is around 11.6. I had a brand new box when I signed up last December, with a couple of metres cable connection staright from the dish to the box - no joins - no long wires, no leakeage

My bandwidth this morning was 126kpbs - about the same as isdn. Better than some mornings when it has often been well below 100 and even single digit figures. Yesterday it crashed for a long time in the afternoon. MY dial up modem is frequently faster than Ipstar.

On a 512 connection, my bandwidth should be in the 300-400 kpbs range, and it used to be for people who had the 512 connection, but not now. Even with 256, on good days I would get 200- 300 kpbs.

Loxinfo IPstar have acknowledged they have a problem, and have told me that "the Bandwidth is Full" and that they are "working on it" and it might be better next month. They have emailed a friend to say something similar - and even told him they have have signed up too many subscribers. They are also talking about giving credits for those who apply.

So, with respect, it is difficult to see how you are not being affected. How has it been for you since June 1st? Do you take bandwidth readings, and if so what are they? I would be most interested.

Well I don't know if you've got "beginner's luck" because I don't of anyone who is satisfied with their Ipstar, especially since June 1st when the services has deteriorated sharply.

My signal strength is never below 88and often 90, and EsNo is around 11.6. I had a brand new box when I signed up last December, with a couple of metres cable connection staright from the dish to the box - no joins - no long wires, no leakeage

Just a quick technical tip: iPSTAR uses KU-Band frequencies for satellite link, which are very sentitive to rain. This means that whenever there's rain over your place or over their uplink station in the Pathum Thani province, you're out of luck.

Maybe this early rainy season has something to do with the noticed degradation since June 1st...

My bandwidth this morning was 126kpbs - about the same as isdn. Better than some mornings when it has often been well below 100 and even single digit figures. Yesterday it crashed for a long time in the afternoon. MY dial up modem is frequently faster than Ipstar.

On a 512 connection, my bandwidth should be in the 300-400 kpbs range, and it used to be for people who had the 512 connection, but not now. Even with 256, on good days I would get 200- 300 kpbs.

Loxinfo IPstar have acknowledged they have a problem, and have told me that "the Bandwidth is Full" and that they are "working on it" and it might be better next month. They have emailed a friend to say something similar - and even told him they have have signed up too many subscribers. They are also talking about giving credits for those who apply.

I'm repeating myself here but I have very good reasons to think that there's no effort being put into iPSTAR for home Internet users these days, I very much doubt that they're going to allocate more int'l bandwidth (if that's actually the problem, I'm skeptical) to this service while at the same time they're now focusing on corporate and government customers for mostly private networking (in Thailand and abroad). As for the technical issues, with the Thaicom 3 bird almost completely failed (this was in the news long ago), the new Thaicom 4 aka. iPSTAR bird facing a mountain of technical glitches and the older ones really not fit at all to do IP network traffic routing, I can't quite see how they'd be able to provide a decent service.

If you have a chance, shy away from iPSTAR. I really don't think you can expect things to get any better.

--Lannig

I have IpStar 512/256 and the best speeds I've averaged are 200/180.

* satellite is always a problem. Rain in BKK and others factors as China

is now online via the same bird (IpStar) added in the last few weeks makes it "over subscribed" as it shares all available bandwidth.

Another factor is how about the growing pains of the IT workers at Shin Corp recently and their "job satisfaction" should be considered.

It really has been it's worst last few days though......

best "real speed test: http://netspeed/standford.edu

just tested (10:22) and getting an alarm from "a patch" in BKK gateway

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.3.3e

click START to begin

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 166.80Kb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 55.54kb/s

Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

Alarm: Duplex mismatch condition exists: Host set to Full and Switch set to Half duplex

click START to re-test

NOTICE THE DOWN IS SLOWER THAN THE UP?

THEY ARE FIDDLING WITH IT NOW....

What CSLoxinfo don't tell you is that since the !st of June their IPStar bandwidth has been reduced by almost a third.

They no longer are the major player for Ipstar in Thailand. TOT have the contract now. (And the all the bandwidth)

I have just ordered another installation of IPStar from TOT and once that is in I will cancle the CSLoxinfo contract. (Which I have had for over 3 years)

For the same advertised D/L speed of 1024 TOT are 2000 baht cheaper than the 7000+VAT that I currently pay CSLoxinfo.

CSLoxinfo were negotiating for some more bandwith and they got a little more on Wednesday- that's why the service has improved over the last 2 days.

Vote with your feet.

click START to begin

Alarm: Duplex mismatch condition exists: Host set to Full and Switch set to Half duplex

Huh? unless I'm seriously missing something this program you're running is alerting you that your Ethernet interface is improperly configured, that's there's a duplex mismatch between your PC and the iPSTAR box. If true (not a bug of the program), that would be a very good reason for absymal transfer rates.

AFAIK the LAN interface on your PC should be set to automatic. In any case, it should never be forced to full-duplex. Forced full duplex configuration is always wrong, because the other end will be unable to auto-negociate and will fallback to half-duplex (by standards). So you'll end up with a duplex mismatch.

Go to the properties of your LAN interface, click 'configure' next to its hardware name, go to 'advanced' and make sure that 'Link Speed/Duplex Mode' is set to 'Auto Mode'.

--Lannig

click START to begin

Huh? unless I'm seriously missing something this program you're running is alerting you that your Ethernet interface is improperly configured, that's there's a duplex mismatch between your PC and the iPSTAR box. If true (not a bug of the program), that would be a very good reason for absymal transfer rates.

AFAIK the LAN interface on your PC should be set to automatic. In any case, it should never be forced to full-duplex. Forced full duplex configuration is always wrong, because the other end will be unable to auto-negociate and will fallback to half-duplex (by standards). So you'll end up with a duplex mismatch.

Go to the properties of your LAN interface, click 'configure' next to its hardware name, go to 'advanced' and make sure that 'Link Speed/Duplex Mode' is set to 'Auto Mode'.

--Lannig

That alarm was coming from the Gateway! Really! Your point is well taken and it would appear otherwise - i.e. on the LAN side(me) as opposed the the WAN side, but it's the gateway in BKK.

Regards

click START to begin

At 16:10 with full detail. You are correct to assume that problem is the LAN side. It was the WAN

side. I never have had that alarm except for this morning. Nothing on my LAN side has changed and I just re-ran the test. Different result because SHIN changed it back around 11:00.

They are dangerous as to how their "adding" ha ha bandwidth. It's really excessive packet loss due to SHIN, Rain and over subscription - every terminal trying to re log on after fades at the same time. Run this test daily for yourself and check stats after it's run each time. Cheers

Link set to Full Duplex mode

No network congestion discovered.

Good network cable(s) found

Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 369.62 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and

There were 5 packets retransmitted, 12 duplicate acks received, and 0 SACK blocks received

The connection stalled 1 times due to packet loss

The connection was idle 0.6 seconds (6.0%) of the time

This connection is sender limited 31.63% of the time.

This connection is network limited 68.37% of the time. (OUCH - SEE)

Excessive packet loss is impacting your performance.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:

RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: OFF

RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON

RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF

RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF

RFC 1323 Window Scaling: OFF

Packet size is preserved End-to-End

Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End

Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

Server says [203.170.216.226] but Client says [192.168.5.2]

--Lannig

What CSLoxinfo don't tell you is that since the !st of June their IPStar bandwidth has been reduced by almost a third.

They no longer are the major player for Ipstar in Thailand. TOT have the contract now. (And the all the bandwidth)

I have just ordered another installation of IPStar from TOT and once that is in I will cancle the CSLoxinfo contract. (Which I have had for over 3 years)

For the same advertised D/L speed of 1024 TOT are 2000 baht cheaper than the 7000+VAT that I currently pay CSLoxinfo.

CSLoxinfo were negotiating for some more bandwith and they got a little more on Wednesday- that's why the service has improved over the last 2 days.

Vote with your feet.

Been there done that, now have TOT 2048/1024, 8000 baht month works sometimes, cannot udate my virus system or windows update for 5 days now corrupt data, support from TOT allmost non existent, had local Thai internet provider call them today to ask for fixor money back

beware their no better than Loxinfo if not worse

Vote with your feet.

Been there done that, now have TOT 2048/1024, 8000 baht month works sometimes, cannot udate my virus system or windows update for 5 days now corrupt data, support from TOT allmost non existent, had local Thai internet provider call them today to ask for fixor money back

beware their no better than Loxinfo if not worse

Thats a bummer. We all could band together and not pay until it is 80% of advertised.

Can a person sell 1/2 litre of petrol as 1 litre? I think only way to force the issue.

Plain and simple, they are adding user(s) MILLIONS in 14 + countries and not increasing

the bandwidth WE ALL HAVE TO SHARE. It will only get worse........ :o

click START to begin

--Lannig

That alarm was coming from the Gateway! Really! Your point is well taken and it would appear otherwise - i.e. on the LAN side(me) as opposed the the WAN side, but it's the gateway in BKK.

Regards

Very confused :o ... how can this alarm come from the gateway? which gateway are you talking about anyway? iPSTAR's? how could a duplex mismatch condition, a typically local condition, be remotely detected? or were you connected directly to iPSTAR's own core LAN at that time? I'm really 'ngong' here as Thais say.

Vote with your feet.

SNIP

Thats a bummer. We all could band together and not pay until it is 80% of advertised.

Can a person sell 1/2 litre of petrol as 1 litre? I think only way to force the issue.

Plain and simple, they are adding user(s) MILLIONS in 14 + countries and not increasing

I have advised CS Loxinfo verbally at the Pattaya office as well as by telcon to accounts in Bangkok also by email to IPSuport that I will not pay the current bill untill I am assured of a credit note for the shortfall in bandwidth. As expected, n o t h i n g !

Vote with your feet.

SNIP

I have advised CS Loxinfo verbally at the Pattaya office as well as by telcon to accounts in Bangkok also by email to IPSuport that I will not pay the current bill untill I am assured of a credit note for the shortfall in bandwidth. As expected, n o t h i n g !

I too emailed them earlier this week and told them I would not be paying their invoice for 7000 + VAT - I wil pay for the cheapest connection but no more.

I also told them to send me the credit note before I paid the invoice.

I too have had no response for that request or my request for their billing dept to call me.

Vote with your feet.

SNIP

I too emailed them earlier this week and told them I would not be paying their invoice for 7000 + VAT - I wil pay for the cheapest connection but no more.

I too have had no response for that request or my request for their billing dept to call me.

We should all do two things starting July 1st. Spped test everyday and send to their customer service email - forget the telephone with a closing paragraph stating we will only pay for the spped/price delivered, everyday for a month.....? Agreed?

Vote with your feet.

SNIP

We should all do two things starting July 1st. Spped test everyday and send to their customer service email - forget the telephone with a closing paragraph stating we will only pay for the spped/price delivered, everyday for a month.....? Agreed?

Roger that! I already started from the first of June and will now add the relevent paragraph at the end of the speed test.

............We should all do two things starting July 1st. Spped test everyday and send to their customer service email - forget the telephone with a closing paragraph stating we will only pay for the spped/price delivered, everyday for a month.....? Agreed?

Roger that! I already started from the first of June and will now add the relevent paragraph at the end of the speed test.

Roger on that too.

Can we agree which website we will use to record the bandwidth? I assume the adsl Thailand site?

............We should all do two things starting July 1st. Spped test everyday and send to their customer service email - forget the telephone with a closing paragraph stating we will only pay for the spped/price delivered, everyday for a month.....? Agreed?

Let us know the wording....we'll all be the same.

Roger on that too.

Can we agree which website we will use to record the bandwidth? I assume the adsl Thailand site?

We'd want an international one. Many are useless. "International Bandwidth" test are baloney.

We need Up/Down tests. Domestic won't really cut it but could be used....Maybe we'll have 3?

2 I recommend:

1) http://netspeed.stanford.edu ( Standford U in Calif USA)

2) http://219.93.175.234:8080/speedometer/index.jsp (Telecom Malaysia)

Note on 2 - do up and down with 512 as the speed.

Also, just a thought. When we Post the monthly letter - send it registered!!!!

Cheaper than calling and creates a good paper trail for the main dispute when it comes to a head.

Can we get ALL of the important email addresses also. Customer service / Tech Support / and 2 of their key people and send to All everyday! Yeah!!!!!

That's what I got just now:

Your Test Results

Your IP Address is 203.170.154.232

Description Filesize

(KBytes) Time

(sec) KBytes

per sec Kbits

per sec

Download Speed 1026.12 58.07 17.66 141.28

And another one

click START to begin

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 84.53Kb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 165.41kb/s

I am on Star Express 1 256/128

already."

Well I can tell you Rimmer that its been pretty awful today - disconnecting repeatedly, and extremeely slow when connected. I have a desk top and a lap top, so I use dial up on the lap top (to avoid stress) and tune into BBC via Ipstar on the desk top, and also have the Ipstar Gateway site up on thdesk top so that I can monitor the disconnections.(I'm a masochist).

BTW Who do you contact at Ipstar/Loxinfo to complain? I might as well join the band wagon - the more the merrier and all that jazz. :o

I have the gateway up all the time as well so I can tell if I am in or out up or down as it were.

I've just turned it on now ready to do battle with the thing.

The telephone number is 022637171 you then have to press 9 then 4 to get english

The email is [email protected]

Good idea to get more people on to it otherwise they will just let it go and we will be the victims.

Incidentaly I up graded from 1 to 2 for just the same reason as you but for 6 weeks they insisted the plan had been changed when in fact it had not. I finaly blew up at them and they changed it before my very eyes. The bandwidth shot up from 200 to 500 in a couple of seconds. It was better for a while until they came along and put the new head on the dish and logged me into the new satalite. Now it sucks most of the time.

I had a tech support rep hang-up on me last week. I'm about done with my set-up. I need a constant connection and they are not able to provide me one. I used dial-up in my last place and it was much more reliable. I do not have a phone line. A mistake I will not make the next time I move.

Vote with your feet.

SNIP

I am not going to pay my June bill until something is fixed.