Little Old Lady Kidnapped By Airport Taxi

Swelters

1. It is not legal for a taxi to pick up pax in the departure level and causes congestion.

its not legal cause police colonel peanut has yet to work out how to get a cut , and if you wander up the south end of both the departure areas you will find the security guards have their pet taxi drivers there who have paid 20 baht for the privilege.

and traffic congestion , who would have thought that could be a possibility in bangkok... :o

the arrivals area is full of those asking if you want a taxi - 500baht to the city anyone?

I think I will just continue to take my chances upstairs , legal or illegal , congestion or no congestion.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does pax stand for Lop?

Pax, maybe Packs/hordes....?

Strange stroy this one. :o

My GF's Grandma went to China a few years ago and is very well travelled and, over 80. Still as worldly wise as she is, I cannot ever imagine her turning down a friendly face at the airport....!

redrus

I think I will just continue to take my chances upstairs , legal or illegal , congestion or no congestion.

If caught, couldn't you play the "ignorant-farang-first-time-in-Thailand," pleading that you got lost looking for the taxi queue? Or pay the scolding officer a couple hundred baht? Still might come out cheaper, upstairs taxi + hush money vs. downstairs mafia taxi :D

Lying and bribes. Hmm. Is this cultural adaptation or are my ethics really eroding? :o

Edited by toptuan

If caught, couldn't you play the "ignorant-farang-first-time-in-Thailand," pleading that you got lost looking for the taxi queue? Or pay the scolding officer a couple hundred baht? Still might come out cheaper, upstairs taxi + hush money vs. downstairs mafia taxi :D

Lying and bribes. Hmm. Is this cultural adaptation or are my ethics really eroding? :o

No no no...

It is illegal for the taxi driver to take you as a passenger (in theory); it would be about on par with a taxi driver not having the correct license and being stopped by the police while you were in the cab; his/her responsibility, so his/her problem. So...as the passenger you don't have to worry AFAIK.

Practically, i look at it like this.

Price for a nice new taxi = somewhere around 600b or more per 12 hours. Usually need to be a driver with proven record, know the city a bit, know how to make money, usually don't have a pass to wait at the airport; therefore most likely not to get in a prang and most likely to drive fast and efficiently to the location you want.

Price for a POS taxi in the queue = somewhere around 600b or less per 24 hours. Can be any idiot, and can afford to wait around to scam someone. Often the newbies assigned these cabs. Cars often have travelled in excess of 300,000km and some are near or exceeding 1m. Terrible safety, and the drivers often least likely to be experienced or know the city or know how to brake the sodding car. They have to wait in queues like this one and Central World queue....because if they are just driving around looking for passengers no one wants to get in the POS car; they want a new car at the same price!

Therefore....walk upstairs if no luggage. Also...means no need to wait.

If carrying a lot of stuff of value (e.g. my sports stuff); get someone to pick me up, or just get a limo; it is only 600b and I am more worried about getting in an accident and my stuff getting broken in the prang than I am about body dumps or otherwise.

BTW, the same logic is the reason why all the POS taxis gravitate towards tourist spots. Thai people tend to not want to ride in POS; on the other hand tourists seem to either be unaware, indifferent or indeed enjoy the nice smell of the 435,000 butts that have contributed sweat and otherwise to the upholdstery; and many foreigners I am told are quite delighted to know in advance that the temple is closed for the day, on account of some gem sale nearby; if only life was indeed a box of chocolates :D

Well, actually the last one is certainly not the case, but yet again, the ones waiting outside my work late at night (who we are negotiating with the police to have removed) waitnig for the foreign suckers are always the POS cabs. Those are the guys most likely to be willing to invest their time to maybe rip someone off.

So I guess that going upstairs and choosing a nice new clean cab is the winning way to go with little luggage.

Re 70 years old, me ol' mum is not far off that, and tells me I should just FTP these movies to her, and why aren't I doing this and that online? I only bought her a computer in 1999 and had to explain to her that all this talk about surfing the net had nothing to do with water and 'len talay'. Silly old bat that she is :D:D:D

Edited by steveromagnino

OK, first I have better things to do than make up stories about 70 year old ladies, I'm trying to convey a recent and real experience that bears some exemplary value.. She was here for elective surgury, an experienced traveller, books her stuff entirely through the internet like most single women on a budget do these days. She firmly turned down the pickup offer, seemingly out of pride.

Second the new taxi upstairs argument may be ok for the experienced, I agree many of the ones downstairs are truly bad clunkers and unnerving if they drive too fast. But I have never had any scams or "broken meter" issues in maybe 150 trips. (Going to the airport is a different story).

However we are talking about advice to an older person, one in the morning, stranger to Thailand, speaks no Thai. Whether she is black belt or teeth sharpened to needle points she is going to be seen as relatively defenseless. And there is that certain something about the person who is dodging the system that attracts people who dodge the system....

But who's moralizing? Why not just take the story for what it is.....

First time visitor? No language skills? One in the morning?

Heck, I'm adventurous, but you wouldn't catch me doing that triple whammy.

I've traveled to over 40 countries, and my first rule of thumb: When arriving for the first time in a new country, do it during the daylight hours. It gives you time to get your bearings under relatively safer circumstances until you can get to a hotel, check in, and scout out your situation. Seems like more crap happens at night--especially after midnight.

Even if I have to pay more for a flight that arrives during the day, it's worth it to me.

I assume you wanted us to at least comment on the merit of her following the "bad advice" on this forum. Finally, your post #37 gives us enough information (beyond her arrival time) to better assess the whole picture. Taxi advice, or no, she was complicating her own situation. IMO, shoulda met the friend, and you shoulda been the first to sound the warning bells.

Edited by toptuan

OK, first I have better things to do than make up stories about 70 year old ladies, I'm trying to convey a recent and real experience that bears some exemplary value.. She was here for elective surgury, an experienced traveller, books her stuff entirely through the internet like most single women on a budget do these days. She firmly turned down the pickup offer, seemingly out of pride.

Second the new taxi upstairs argument may be ok for the experienced, I agree many of the ones downstairs are truly bad clunkers and unnerving if they drive too fast. But I have never had any scams or "broken meter" issues in maybe 150 trips. (Going to the airport is a different story).

However we are talking about advice to an older person, one in the morning, stranger to Thailand, speaks no Thai. Whether she is black belt or teeth sharpened to needle points she is going to be seen as relatively defenseless. And there is that certain something about the person who is dodging the system that attracts people who dodge the system....

Why did you not pre-warn her when she refused the pick up? Instead you blame the advice that you claim was given out here, Why dont you blame the advice that YOU FAILED to give her?

Dunno advice here is free, so one can't complain if it goes horribly wrong, could have happened to her if she had taken the downstairs approach. First time in the country she should have gone the safe route and prebooked a car service - her name on a board and no worries.

Net advice is free, all advice generally is. If this lady chose to ignore common sense & got into bother then why blame thai visa? Common sense usually prevails esp as she was arriving at that time of night & on her first trip to LOS. As an older lady she must be aware of the dangers of the world, anyone over a certain age usually is. I am glad she managed to get out of trouble but don't blame advice given by strangers on a web forum.

This is a public forum....

There is no guarantees on the advice given here, what works for one may not work for others...

In this situation when the old girl said she didnt need picking up, I would have have said "ok no worries" and still turned up anyway...and it wouldnt matter if it was my grandma or a friend, I would do the same. Moreso if it was their first trip to anywhere.

Net advice is free, all advice generally is. If this lady chose to ignore common sense & got into bother then why blame thai visa? Common sense usually prevails esp as she was arriving at that time of night & on her first trip to LOS. As an older lady she must be aware of the dangers of the world, anyone over a certain age usually is. I am glad she managed to get out of trouble but don't blame advice given by strangers on a web forum.

OK, criticism accepted, did not intend to impugn thaivisa which is in general a fine source of advice because it usually offers a range of views and explanations. Of course I feel bad about the whole thing, though I might have added that she had advised the day before departure that she was arriving with a very experienced lady friend who as it turns out cancelled at the last minute.

The best advice for an older person arriving in BKK for the first time, especially at night, is to go for a Thai Limo.

Okay, it's not as cheap as a taxi in BKK, but it is much cheaper than a taxi in most big cities. Clean, safe, comfortable.

Price for a nice new taxi = somewhere around 600b or more per 12 hours. Usually need to be a driver with proven record, know the city a bit, know how to make money, usually don't have a pass to wait at the airport; therefore most likely not to get in a prang and most likely to drive fast and efficiently to the location you want.

Price for a POS taxi in the queue = somewhere around 600b or less per 24 hours. Can be any idiot, and can afford to wait around to scam someone. Often the newbies assigned these cabs. Cars often have travelled in excess of 300,000km and some are near or exceeding 1m. Terrible safety, and the drivers often least likely to be experienced or know the city or know how to brake the sodding car. They have to wait in queues like this one and Central World queue....because if they are just driving around looking for passengers no one wants to get in the POS car; they want a new car at the same price!

Therefore....walk upstairs if no luggage. Also...means no need to wait.

If carrying a lot of stuff of value (e.g. my sports stuff); get someone to pick me up, or just get a limo; it is only 600b and I am more worried about getting in an accident and my stuff getting broken in the prang than I am about body dumps or otherwise.

BTW, the same logic is the reason why all the POS taxis gravitate towards tourist spots. Thai people tend to not want to ride in POS; on the other hand tourists seem to either be unaware, indifferent or indeed enjoy the nice smell of the 435,000 butts that have contributed sweat and otherwise to the upholdstery; and many foreigners I am told are quite delighted to know in advance that the temple is closed for the day, on account of some gem sale nearby; if only life was indeed a box of chocolates

Well, actually the last one is certainly not the case, but yet again, the ones waiting outside my work late at night (who we are negotiating with the police to have removed) waitnig for the foreign suckers are always the POS cabs. Those are the guys most likely to be willing to invest their time to maybe rip someone off.

So I guess that going upstairs and choosing a nice new clean cab is the winning way to go with little luggage.

Absolutely spot bloody on. Great response. Especially the bit about the POS cabs gravitating towards the tourist spots and hence the airport mafia taxi rank.

I just say no meter no customer.

Once i arrived at the domestic airport late and there was only a few taxis and the place was closing down, none of them wanted to use the meter, so i just walked to the highway and flagged one down.

Its a walk but its alot easier

Donz:

Once i arrived at the domestic airport late and there was only a few taxis and the place was closing down, none of them wanted to use the meter...

...a POS taxi in the queue....Can be any idiot, and can afford to wait around to scam someone. Often the newbies assigned these cabs. Cars often have travelled in excess of 300,000km and some are near or exceeding 1m. Terrible safety, and the drivers often least likely to be experienced or know the city or know how to brake the sodding car. If carrying a lot of stuff of value...I am more worried about getting in an accident and my stuff getting broken in...
Doza:

Waitin' in that queue for ages (often) and getting in some old bomb with the boot strapped down by elastic and barely working aircon AND paying extra for it because someone is "supposedly" taking down ALL the details of everyone picking people up which can be easily traced if I am robbed, murdered and dumped in a creek??? Yeah right.

Danone:

the taxis in the 50 baht queue are not better. had one once who tried to hide a big knife once we left the airport.

Henq:

The body dumpers are more likely to be the ones who know their details are completely unknown.

So, use the queue if you want your body discovered...faster.

Swelters:

A 70 year old lady aquaintance arrived...No need for a meter, of course, and "why I go here this soi? because you nice lady I take you my house you can stay very good price." After a frightening hour of this and a shouting match finally over outrageous demands for money, she was (thankfully) dropped at her hotel.

Leftcross:

..the ''official'' method downstairs is just a rip-off...

kenk3z:

...official queue isn't much protection from extortion attempts. And I haven't seen anyone taking down tag numbers either...

And the brilliant, comforting conclusion to all of the above horror stories, is (APPLAUSE PLEASE) . . .

Fine.. but geting a taxi is...easier for the first timer in Thailand

totster :D

OMG! :o

So the consensus is to get a meter taxi or a limo?

I've been away for quite sometimes and planning to return to LOS in April. With all these horror stories about Taxi, not sure what i'm gonna do now :o

If Limo is the best option than how can I get in contact with one? or should I just get in line for the Taxi.

Edited by Misplaced

I say never take a taxi at any airport, once i did get a meter taxi at the airport and i could of sworn the meter was going up faster then usual.

Koh Samui and Phuket airport taxis are the worst. nag nag nag until you feel like you want to drop a few of them. But you just walk down the road and flag the taxi's.

Wehn i was a newbie to Thailand i remember paying 500 baht for a 15 minute ride which i thought was resonable (compare to aussie prices its cheap) and my friend who lives in Thailand said he pays about 50 baht heheheheh

I was only in the country for 5 minutes and i was getting roited

If you work for a company and tell your boss you'd prefer to save money by using the POS taxis vs. the limos, I think any smart manager who wants to limit liability would instruct you to change your position and only travel by established company cars.

Independent taxis are a risk and if you travel lots, some day, the laws of averages will add up and you will pay a price either by traffic accident or "being taken for a special ride".

I grew tired of the airport queue taxis very quickly. The cost you save is pittance in comparison to western taxi fares.

Worst taxis: Beijing, China - they better clean that shyt up before the Olympics. There's nothing worse than getting verbally and financially punked in Chinese by a former farmer with fishhead breath. They actually have policemen now at the airport taxi stand to make sure the cabbie is on the up and up. Before then, it was a crap shoot. Normally, you'd have to not argue with the cabbie until he dropped you off at the hotel entrance. Then you make the bellman argue for you for a reasonable fare. They even would try to drop you off away from the hotel entrance to avoid this.

Best taxi system: Singapore. No hassles whatsoever and decent standard prices.

BKK taxis are somewhere in the middle

I've been away for quite sometimes and planning to return to LOS in April. With all these horror stories about Taxi, not sure what i'm gonna do now :o

If Limo is the best option than how can I get in contact with one? or should I just get in line for the Taxi.

There is a counter for "Thai Limousines" inside the arrivals hall on the ground floor. A hotel car is more comfortable and convenient (and more expensive, but certainly cheap by western standards), but a Thai Limo is a very acceptable alternative.

There is a counter for "Thai Limousines" inside the arrivals hall on the ground floor. A hotel car is more comfortable and convenient (and more expensive, but certainly cheap by western standards), but a Thai Limo is a very acceptable alternative.

Thank you. I thought noone was going to answer my question.

Can anyone tell me approximate charge for the LIMO. Its just so I can be prepared.

Would someone please claify what a LIMO is? In various countries, I see the term used for...

1) a long, black, expensive car sedan that rents for $150 an hour, and chauffeeurs newly married couples to the wedding receptions.

2) a bus (or "coach" as the Brits call 'em)

3) a van (7-15 passengers); sometimes called "mini-van"

What kind of "limo" are we talking about in Thailand?

Would someone please claify what a LIMO is? In various countries, I see the term used for...

1) a long, black, expensive car sedan that rents for $150 an hour, and chauffeeurs newly married couples to the wedding receptions.

2) a bus (or "coach" as the Brits call 'em)

3) a van (7-15 passengers); sometimes called "mini-van"

What kind of "limo" are we talking about in Thailand?

they're not really Limo's but rather large white cars they call limo's.. like an executive model of some sort

totster :o

If I could be so bold to summarize, it appears that the following are sound rules:

1. For newcomers to Bangkok especially late night arrivals or people who are not hardy travellers, personal pickup is best with limo service arranged at arrival for about 600 baht from the airport to downtown Bangkok as an alternative.

2. Experienced residents with Thai language skill may want to negotiate with taxis at the arrivals level on top in order to get a newer and better taxi, but this service is outside the usual procedures and could involve complications such as the driver not understanding the destination or attempts to scam less confident passengers.

3. Experienced or budget travellers will usually get adequate service for 250 or so baht by going through the ground floor taxi line where there will be some supervisory assistance in clarifying destination. Best to specify "toll road" it will cost an extra sixty baht beyond the meter fee with two toll stops. Tipping is not required but a small tip for extra service is ok.

Swelters

I'd say thats pretty sound advice Swelters though I think anyone who's a newcomer in Bangkok could get a taxi at the rank and it'll do them fine. I don't think they'll need a limo but at least the option is there for those that really don't want to face perhaps a problematic taxi on their first time in Thailand.