Who Pays?

Mosha

Local accident. a motor bike and a sam lo motorbike. The sam lo driver is a piss head, and won't work. His wife works everyday for the minimum wage. He had is 5 year old son with him, the lad was thrown out of the side car. He's badly hurt and apparently his chances are 50/50. He was rushed to hospital. No one had a helmet on, and it's 99% certain neither driver had a license. No police involvement, so who will pay?

Who was to blame?

I don't know, but he drinks all day. Lhao Khao

Farang or Thai ?

Thai on Thai. The drunk and his wife were born in Burma, and have no IC Cards.

Edited by Mosha

@Mosha: You are saying there was NO police involvement whatsoever? ...blink.png

I am very curious now.

We had just passed an ambulance presumably heading into the main hospital in Ranong. We were on our way home. from Ranong. We came across the scene, lots of people stood around, no sign of the police, who are local people. So I'd be surprised if they left immediately.

IC cards? Do you mean Thai ID? If no Thai ID, then the Burmese will want to keep quiet and not go to the local police (there's another thread on general about prison stories from the IDC).

IC cards? Do you mean Thai ID? If no Thai ID, then the Burmese will want to keep quiet and not go to the local police (there's another thread on general about prison stories from the IDC).

I think UC nowwink.png

Sounds like the son will pay and the Father is useless, they never learn anything, wear a helmet and dont fasten it up....how much more lazy can they get, see it all the time. WHO CARES ??? they certainly dont!

They are Thai, but the parents were working in Burma when they gave birth. They were working there.

I was hit by a drunk on a motorbike, nearly ploughed straight over him head on in my lane but I swerved, struck him a glancing blow. Stood my ground but without saying anything when his equally drunk father rolled up, and started accusing me. Called the insurance company who were on their way. The policeman could see the guy was mutant, it helped that I had 4 Thai witnesses in my car. He had no money, but eventually a sober elder sister turned up and gave me 5k to forget about the insurance, not sure how much they gave the cop, but I sure as hell didn't want to just go the "big" pays route.

The sam lor wasnt registered to be on the road. They are only meant to be used for going slow. So if the driver of the sam lor was going to fast, then its the sam lors fault.

However, was the motorbike registered? Probably not, probably going to fast. Probably no helmets, and even if they did have em, ice cream containers would have worked better.

My money is the sam lors fault.

Judge Kris has spokenwink.png

I am very curious now.

Life in the villages Dancealot. Rarely cops needed for anything. In our village the army guys up the road are called before the cops.

• Like 1

Until recently when people didn't want to involve the police, both party used to go to see the kamnan, plead their case and he decides if compensation is due, by whom and how much. And he will also enforce if necessary.

When you go to this kind of meeting, it pays to enlist the help of a local respected figure or some elder who will speak on your behalf.

Edited by JurgenG

I am very curious now.

Life in the villages Dancealot. Rarely cops needed for anything. In our village the army guys up the road are called before the cops.

Thanks Krisb. When accidents occur 'village rules' will be applied to who pays and who doesn't. I was surprised to learn this batter system is very much different from the 'legal' system.