Thailand Set To Oppose Protection Of Sharks And Manta Rays

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they should issue alternatives such as more farm breeding/ hatcheries etc. Just another way of the West (U.S) trying to push ideals onto other cultures. Because, if you are not buying beef like they (U.S. beef industry) are forcing the Koreans to do then you are not civilized.

I enjoy shark fin soup, along with many other Chinese dishes.rolleyes.gif

All of your arguments, and future posts could be said about the beef and poultry industry as well.coffee1.gif

I think the key is to have balance, and that's why educating those in the industry from consumer to producer is so important...

wai2.gif

The difference between shark fin soup and a steak is that, when you order a T Bone they do not just hack off a piece then throw the rest of the cow away to rot. With shark fin soup they hack off the fin then dump the the rest. You can't compare the two.

• Like 1

Maybe they should issue alternatives such as more farm breeding/ hatcheries etc. Just another way of the West (U.S) trying to push ideals onto other cultures. Because, if you are not buying beef like they (U.S. beef industry) are forcing the Koreans to do then you are not civilized.

All of your arguments, and future posts could be said about the beef and poultry industry as well.coffee1.gif

Cows and chickens are not endangered species, you %&$*@((#$

Sharks are not endangered species, nor are stingrays. If the continued practices are not stopped, then they could one day be put on such a list. Knowledge is power... Let's try and stay civil shall we.

Edited by Newguy70

I think the key is to have balance, and that's why educating those in the industry from consumer to producer is so important...

>wai2.gif

The difference between shark fin soup and a steak is that, when you order a T Bone they do not just hack off a piece then throw the rest of the cow away to rot. With shark fin soup they hack off the fin then dump the the rest. You can't compare the two.

I can and did.... and that's why educating those in the industry from consumer to producer is so important

Part of educating the fisherman, to fishing companies is also teaching them to be responsible fisherman/hunters and that the whole shark needs to be used and not just the fin. IMHO

Edited by Newguy70

I love how the Thai law "already protects Great White Sharks". These sharks are not common in the gulf (natural habitational reasons).

It's like Thailand saying, "Mmm, protect the Tigers, Why? We already have laws protecting African Lions"

• Like 1

The shark fin industry is disgusting. Whether or not Thai fishermen are catching large or small amounts of sharks and throwing them back in the sea to die slowly without their fins, the fact remains: Bangkok is rife with dozens of shops which sell fins and s.f. soup. Disgusting. Anything less than a severe crackdown on dealers in shark fins, including large fines and jail time, is yet another failing of Yingluck and her Chinese-Thai administrators and/or the re-elected governor (who administers that stuff?).

Have to agree with you. But would like to add that the present government is no more guilty than all preceding governments.

As for prosecuting the dealers in shark fins I presume you are including the shops that sell the fins and the restaurants that sell the soup. Stop the sellers and you will effectively stop the killing.

Rather stop the buyers. It is again a case of education, education, education. Sharkfin soup is particularly propular at formal functions (eg weddings and the like), and thats where considerable effort should be made....

• Like 1

Sharks are not endangered species, nor are stingrays. If the continued practices are not stopped, then they could one day be put on such a list. Knowledge is power... Let's try and stay civil shall we.

Could you provide a link to show that shark species are not endangered?

here are some that show that some species of sharks clearly ARE endangered:

http://www.saveoursharks.com.au/Save_Our_Sharks_-_Endangered_List.html

http://www.shark.ch/Database/EndangeredSharks/index.html

http://www.iucn.org/?3362/Third-of-open-ocean-sharks-threatened-with-extinction

• Like 2

wai2.gif

Some of you folks should start thinking for yourselves for a change. Stop being simply sheep. It is quite healthy and a lot of the times has nice results. It is quite amusing when some people blame anything and everything that they don't agree with on the US. This shows their lack of knowledge and thinking.

• Like 2

The head of the fisheries department actually wanted to say: There are no Thai people in the government and important positions. The Thai government ministers want to keep on eating shark fin soup. What should they eat otherwise? Thai food? They have never eaten Thai food, only Chinese.

Yet another highly self praising moron in the public service making statements he knows nothing about nor has researched. Do Thai taxpayers actually know or care what low quality they are getting from the members of the public service?Is there a return department where faulty goods can be returned as for sure, this one is broken.

That is so scarey, <deleted> flat earther. Black is white, cow and poultry farming equates to slicing off shark fins and leaving them to drown and get close to extinction. Jeez, you need to get those tinted specs off buddy.

The head of the fisheries department actually wanted to say: There are no Thai people in the government and important positions. The Thai government ministers want to keep on eating shark fin soup. What should they eat otherwise? Thai food? They have never eaten Thai food, only Chinese.

Let them eat pizza - which is Italian cheese and tomato on toast..

Have to say that the reasoning given by the Thai minister will only make Thailand look more ignorant and stupid in the eyes of the international community.

I was surprised they hosted this meeting at all - as one delegate is reported to have said, it is an opportunity to grasp Thailand by the scrotum.......and they look like they are beginning to squirm

The PM seems to have thought that by making promises about elephants (and they are as vague as can be) it would piut Thailand in a good light for the rest of the show.

It would be nearer the truth to say that they are showing themselves to be more like 2-faced ineffectual hypocrites.

.........they want "help" with Siam Rosewood but they won't help with sharks and Rays

Edited by wilcopops

A lot of Chinese foods, 'medicines', sex aids, bear bile are borne out of myths and the most wicked cruelty, that has nothing to do with culture. Consequently they continue to show that they are one of the most most barbaric nation's and protected species or not they will kill, eat, drink and wear anything to get instant gratification. Add to this the ever increasing affluence and the market will only go up and I just hope along with their Russian allies, they find somewhere different to move into.

most wicked cruelty and the most barbaric nation. yea, and what about foie gras farming, poultry industries and other countless of equally cruel stuffs that are not just limited to the russians and chineses? there is a reason for synthetic bear bile, it isnt entirely a myth

Edited by rookball

wai2.gif

Pray tell where did you go to school and they said that cattle and chickens were in danger of becoming an endangered species?

Of course you have left the door open with future posts bit. Were you thinking of the year 2525 perhaps. Stick with today and let 2525 take care of itself.

wai2.gif

Pray tell where did you go to school and they said that cattle and chickens were in danger of becoming an endangered species?

Of course you have left the door open with future posts bit. Were you thinking of the year 2525 perhaps. Stick with today and let 2525 take care of itself.

Pray tell where did you learn to read. Where in my post did you see me say that the poultry and beef industry were endangered.

However, now that you want to bring this into the mix it would make a great example. Do you think that we have always had an abundance of poultry and beef. No, it took education on both fronts. Did it not?

It is a joke that this conference is in Bkk. Maybe a short trip to the Chatuchak Market to buy some living endangered species like turtles, snakes or birds or a field trip to the Isetan department store to buy some whalemeat? Thai hypocrites on steroids

Knowledge is power... and ignorance is bliss.

A third of the shark species are endangered or in a vulnerable status. The ICUN (International Union for conservation of Nature) lists 11 critically endangered, 15 endangered, 41 vulnerable and 49 threatened species of sharks. There's 60 or so species were there's insufficient data to categorize.

Personally I have dived 80 or 90 times in Thai waters, total sharks I've seen: 2

Basically your argument is rubbish.

Because they list it makes it fact?

So how many of each species are there? How many are killed on a daily, monthly, yearly basis? No one knows, and they are just estimates. And how much of the ocean has been explored? Really try reading a little bit more. Very easy to hop on board of the train called "Follower". Try thinking for yourself!

Rubbish. Not at all.

Are they over fishing yes. If the practice is continued will they be pushed to extinction yes.

Again, it comes down to educating both sides as well as offering alternatives. E.g stingray farms, shark farms, catch size specifications , fines, etc.

And when you quote something, please be sure to cite your posts.

Edited by Newguy70

Thanks for this needed correction, FWIW.

An estimated 100 million sharks are killed every year. This is not a sustainable practice-- many sharks require 10 years to reach sexual maturity. They simply don't reproduce as fast as we are killing them.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/oceans/100-million-sharks-killed-annually-130305.htm

attachicon.gifshark finning 04a_Q8R4318(1).jpg

attachicon.giffinned-sharks-ocean.jpg

attachicon.gif6a00d83452403c69e2017c354ce29f970b-800wi.jpg

attachicon.gifshark-finning1.jpgattachicon.gifshark fin soup in Yaowarat Bkk.jpgattachicon.gifsharkfin soup at wedding banquet in HK.jpg

attachicon.gifChosi-shark-fin.jpeg

Maybe you think this is a sustainable practice.

http://usda01.library.cornell.edu/usda/fas/livestock-poultry-ma//2010s/2012/livestock-poultry-ma-10-18-2012.pdf

Sorry, I didn't include any pictures or a pop up book!rolleyes.gif It requires you to read.

None of the these are sustainable in the long term. However, through education and various alternatives they can be considered acceptable!

Edited by Newguy70

Knowledge is power... and ignorance is bliss.

A third of the shark species are endangered or in a vulnerable status. The ICUN (International Union for conservation of Nature) lists 11 critically endangered, 15 endangered, 41 vulnerable and 49 threatened species of sharks. There's 60 or so species were there's insufficient data to categorize.

Personally I have dived 80 or 90 times in Thai waters, total sharks I've seen: 2

Basically your argument is rubbish.

Because they list it makes it fact?

So how many of each species are there? How many are killed on a daily, monthly, yearly basis? No one knows, and they are just estimates. And how much of the ocean has been explored? Really try reading a little bit more. Very easy to hop on board of the train called "Follower". Try thinking for yourself!

Rubbish. Not at all.

Are they over fishing yes. If the practice is continued will they be pushed to extinction yes.

Again, it comes down to educating both sides as well as offering alternatives. E.g stingray farms, shark farms, catch size specifications , fines, etc.

And when you quote something, please be sure to cite your posts.

I cited my post, as I say, ignorance is bliss and you seem to be bent into being an ignorant.

The rest is just disgusting apologist BS from someone that values a bowl of ego boosting goop more than the welfare of the worlds oceans.

• Like 1

wai2.gif

A lot of Chinese foods, 'medicines', sex aids, bear bile are borne out of myths and the most wicked cruelty, that has nothing to do with culture. Consequently they continue to show that they are one of the most most barbaric nation's and protected species or not they will kill, eat, drink and wear anything to get instant gratification. Add to this the ever increasing affluence and the market will only go up and I just hope along with their Russian allies, they find somewhere different to move into.

most wicked cruelty and the most barbaric nation. yea, and what about foie gras farming, poultry industries and other countless of equally cruel stuffs that are not just limited to the russians and chineses? there is a reason for synthetic bear bile, it isnt entirely a myth

Besides endangering species, it comes down to basic issue of cruelty to animals. If Bkk restaurants served dog tail soup, and each time they got a tail, they threw the dog to die on a trash heap, would you buy it? If you were Chinese, and had been brought up believing dog tail soup gave you a longer lasting hard-on, you would gladly pay $50 for a bowl of it. Which addresses the second note, above. Sure, western nations inflict suffering on animals - much, though not all (bullfights) is related to garnering meat. Yet the situations in Europe/US and China are miles apart. Chinese have traditions which threaten the existence of, and cause great physical pain to endangered animals. Westerners aren't anywhere near as evil-hearted about their apothecary and meat. Plus, there's the sheer multitude of Chinese abuses. A fourth of the world's population now has extra money to pay for hocus pocus non-scientifically-proven hard-on maintainers like dried tiger penis and dozens of other sicko concoctions.

• Like 1

wai2.gif

Pray tell where did you learn to read. Where in my post did you see me say that the poultry and beef industry were endangered.

However, now that you want to bring this into the mix it would make a great example. Do you think that we have always had an abundance of poultry and beef. No, it took education on both fronts. Did it not?

"All of your arguments, and future posts could be said about the beef and poultry industry as well.coffee1.gif "

Your words not mine.

Thanks for this needed correction, FWIW.

An estimated 100 million sharks are killed every year. This is not a sustainable practice-- many sharks require 10 years to reach sexual maturity. They simply don't reproduce as fast as we are killing them.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/oceans/100-million-sharks-killed-annually-130305.htm

attachicon.gifshark finning 04a_Q8R4318(1).jpg

attachicon.giffinned-sharks-ocean.jpg

attachicon.gif6a00d83452403c69e2017c354ce29f970b-800wi.jpg

attachicon.gifshark-finning1.jpgattachicon.gifshark fin soup in Yaowarat Bkk.jpgattachicon.gifsharkfin soup at wedding banquet in HK.jpg

attachicon.gifChosi-shark-fin.jpeg

Maybe you think this is a sustainable practice.

http://usda01.library.cornell.edu/usda/fas/livestock-poultry-ma//2010s/2012/livestock-poultry-ma-10-18-2012.pdf

Sorry, I didn't include any pictures or a pop up book!rolleyes.gif It requires you to read.

None of the these are sustainable in the long term. However, through education and various alternatives they can be considered acceptable!

Okay, I read it (apparently I haven’t been reading!). I learned, from the estimable article you cited, that the global pork trade continues to slow its expansion, and that China’s pork imports jumped to a record 815,000 tons last year. Also that the world production of beef is expected to expand, despite a four percent drop in the output of the world’s biggest producer, the US. And that by golly, Brazil is expected to consume 360,000 tons of turkey meat this year.

This is all very interesting, but if you’ll pardon me, I fail to find it relevant to the shark overfishing problem.

The argument here seems to rest on the idea that we can easily farm whatever species we manage to exterminate from the oceans. Therefore, we need not worry about consuming what is left of sharks or any other ocean-dweller.( I’m guessing this would apply to land-based life as well.) So… we can apparently gobble endangered species as we please. Someone will sooner or later figure out how to farm whatever the heck we feel like eating (though we may be sending it into oblivion in the wild). So... no problem.

Well, this is an airtight logic that I find impossible to argue with, and I know better than to even begin to try. In this matter, I thus concede the field. I wish you the best. May you have a pleasant day, and be happy and healthy.

For readers not fortunate enough to reside in such a fabulous mental locale, here are some points to consider.

Farming sharks would be of help only if we stop eating up the wild populations. We are talking here of the health of oceans, which sharks, as a top predator, are essential to. That is precisely what the proposed CITES red listing is attempting to do—to limit the damage to populations caused by international trade. (Which is all CITES has authority over, by the way. Internally, countries can trash whatever they want to, and CITES has nothing to say about it.) One-third of shark species are currently endangered. So for the sake of their survival and the health of the seas, let’s try to stop decimating the wild sharks first, ok? Seems reasonable to me anyway.

If readers still can’t shake their shark fin jones and want to eat farmed sharks, I would say, go right ahead. But I don’t think you will find any farmed sharks. Why? Because, as previously stated, sharks take a long time to reproduce—in excess of ten years for some species, as long as 18 years for others. And they produce few young. That means that unlike chickens, raising them will be not very profitable, and hugely expensive. You think some farmer will want to raise an animal that will require 10 or 18 years to reproduce? (We are for the moment ignoring all the arguments against the global mode of meat-eating-- feeding grain to stock animals is an extravagant waste of energy, as well as being grossly inefficient.)

It bears repeating: sharks are not chickens. They do not eat grain, for example. Most of them are carnivorous, which means they would have to be fed other fish species, which in turn would decimate other wild populations. Given that we’re transforming the seas into fish deserts at an unprecedented rate, that doesn’t sound like such a good idea, either.

They would have to be raised in salt water. Either seaside pens would need to be erected, with the resultant pollution, removal of mangroves and other seaside vegetation, and need for antibiotics; or land-based ponds would be dug, which, because of the salt water, would render the ground useless for future farming (as has happened with on-land shrimp farming, by the way, in Thailand). If you tried big above-ground pools, construction and maintenance costs would add to the expense. Do we want to try this? And what about the unexpected problems ahead, with disease, fertility problems in captivity, etc.?

Finally, consumption of shark fins has nothing to do with nutrition, and everything to do with status. Surely we don’t need to measure our social worth by how much of an endangered species we consume. Younger Chinese are adopting different attitudes, thanks in part to the efforts of Yao Ming, who’s part of a campaign to stop the eating of shark fin soup.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/yao-ming-urges-chinese-to-give-up-shark-fin-soup-2359641.html

Things, however, are rarely simple. The usual struggle for hearts and minds is far from over, but things may be changing.

http://www.straight.com/news/restaurant-owner-calls-coun-kerry-jang-banana-opposing-shark-fin-soup

http://www.canada.com/news/Popular+Chinatown+restaurant+drops+shark+soup/7454378/story.html

Edited by DeepInTheForest
  • Like 1