Putting License Plate Deep In Rear Well Legal?

mania

Just curious but do the cops
hassle you if you mount your license plate inside
the rear fender well rather than out back?

I have seen some nice tail tidy up jobs with recessed
turn signals but wondered if the buried plate was allowed or not?

If not I dont want the hassle

Here are two recessed rear turn signals on N250's
one has the plate buried the other on a rear frame

C360_2013-02-25-11-04-11Medium_zps672659

C360_2013-02-25-11-04-00Medium_zpsdedea4

HuYr8J.JPG

0DbGtm.jpg

Isn't here a member who has his plate stored under the seat and takes it out if a cop asks for it? He claims he never had trouble. But does this mean it is legal to store the plate under the seat?

Its funny how some people do a lot of "customizations" and than the same people complain about grabby cops chasing them and wanting money. I have 100% stock bikes and never paid a Baht in Thainland, never even was asked for. But maybe this was just luck so far. And i don't ride as much as some others here. But to avoid trouble as much as possible i guess its the best to keep the bike (boring) stock smile.png

• Like 1

Yep I carry my number plate in my bag ,it's never been fitted to my bike and I've never been stopped, but then again I'm not in bkk.

I think Norman with the er6 has his plate mounted like that and maybe karlos as well I seem to remember one of them saying they got a fine for it.

• Like 1

Yep mine's mounted there also, even lower down and when i sit on the bike

the BIB can't see it...... Ummmm it's not legal to mount a plate in such a

position, the guys on KSRs around my area are being hounded, it's a popular mod

for them.

The one and only time i have been stopped and fined because of my plate was in

the Prawet area of Bangkok during last year's SongKran. Turns out it's a

1000baht fine but i got my neighbor to sort it for 100baht lol :D

Could have given 500 on the roadside but that's not legal either ;) 555

• Like 1

The red Kawasaki looks like it would be fully legal if the bracket was bent down a tad so you didn't need an 18 wheeler or a 16 wheeler to read it. As long as the plate numbers are visable not a problem.

• Like 1

The red Kawasaki looks like it would be fully legal if the bracket was bent down a tad so you didn't need an 18 wheeler or a 16 wheeler to read it. As long as the plate numbers are visable not a problem.

Yes for sure the red is legal no doubt.

I just had those two pics of the recessed rear turn signals

rather than stalks.

I think they look pretty clean but not sure how visible they are when active.

If good & noticeable when viewed from the rear I might try that later.

I do like the look of the cleaner tail sections.

I would like to increase the rear hugger length to help

capture any spray onto the underside of the bike/back of rear shock area.

The stock one is so short it is always a mess back there smile.png

Edited by mania

Don't think its so easy to decide whats "legal" and whats not. The term "legal" may not be the right term for the situation on the streets. I will try to explain what i mean smile.png

A bike leaves the factory in a certified construction. Its examined by the officials to be "street legal" and so you can get a greenbook for it.

If you change things on your bike with parts that are not tested and authorized by officials, how could the police officer on the street decide if its still "legal" or not?

In case of the plate: How to decide? Should they take a angle meter with them? Should they invite you to the police station to measure the angle there? How should be the procedure for such things?

If a police officer gives you a ticket/fine for your tidy tail than it just means that he decided it shouldn't be the way it is, based on his knowledge of regulations. But the decision whats "legal" or not is made by by legislature/judiciary, not by the executives/police. So if you want you can go to court and try to get your money back. At least in theory smile.png

And with the tidy tail its not only the plate that could produce problems.

What about the small red rear reflector?

What about the lower end of the rear mud guard?

Of course most important questions are:

Will i get fined?

Will i get trouble with police/insurance in case of an accident?

Just some thoughts. Of course such modifications are easy to do in LOS and usually the worst thing that happens is that you pay 200Baht now and then.

• Like 1

Nothing is illegal here until the police get involved. So sure you can modify your turn signals so they look cool to you but if you are involved in accident and the other driver/rider claims you did not signal. The police will then become interested in your non-stock bike. In Pattaya the police take more of an interest in loud exhausts. You don't get fined because it is loud. That is simply what attrats the police to you. What you get fined for is a "modified" exhaust. Like the man said. Not stock from the factory.

Nothing is illegal here until the police get involved. So sure you can modify your turn signals so they look cool to you but if you are involved in accident and the other driver/rider claims you did not signal. The police will then become interested in your non-stock bike. In Pattaya the police take more of an interest in loud exhausts. You don't get fined because it is loud. That is simply what attrats the police to you. What you get fined for is a "modified" exhaust. Like the man said. Not stock from the factory.

Yep, the real risk is not to get fined. Paying a 1000 Baht fine is not such a big deal for most of us. Fines are very low compared to our home countries. And no risk to lose your license in LOS.

The real risk is to get involved in a bad accident and have trouble with insurance/police/court and maybe pay a lot of money. Hope it never will happen. But imo such thing can happen.

Edited by wantan

Thanks for the input

Yes on 2nd thought that risk of claiming they

did not see a modified turn signal could be a problem I would not want.

Unless of course your a foreigner & hit a Thai from behind

Then it does not matter what he was riding or his turn signal was

his outward pointing foot....your probably wrong for sure laugh.png

Just kidding....sort of wink.png

Actually I am not much for modifications based on looks.

But a tidy tail does look...well tidy smile.png

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

i ride the bike without a plate for nearly 2 months and no one bothered to ask it to me in numerous police checks nowadays.

So, i guess, you do not get any problems especially in Chiang Mai.

But a tail tidy is not a good idea here in Thailand as i do not like people getting mud or water in their faces and curse my mom as if i get mud or dirty water in to my face, i curse the mom of that rider, i am sorrybiggrin.png

• Like 1