Grouper/big Fish @ Airport Plaza Fish Tank

realthaideal

I looked around the aquarium last week and didn't see what is inevitably the big draw to the aquarium, the large grouper that's usually hanging out in the large cylindrical tank. Anybody else seen him recently ? Sad if he's gone. But not surprising either. I notice the tank's condition has gone down in recent years, the water looking scuzzier than it used to.

I've been here awhile, and actually have a feeling there was a different large fish about 10 yrs ago and when it keeled, a new one was put in as a replacement. I'm going to review some of my old fish tank pix and see if this is true, or just a "recovered memory."

• Like 1

A friend had shown me photos taken a few years ago and I was looking forward to seeing the saltwater tank. But, I was disappointed when I last looked at it. It must cost a lot to maintain cleanliness and water condition. Some large fish do not do well in fish tanks. Every species has it's own unique environment conditions and it's hard to mix species in the same environment.

A friend had shown me photos taken a few years ago and I was looking forward to seeing the saltwater tank. But, I was disappointed when I last looked at it. It must cost a lot to maintain cleanliness and water condition. Some large fish do not do well in fish tanks. Every species has it's own unique environment conditions and it's hard to mix species in the same environment.

I'm back in Atlanta for a bit and we've got a little aquarium downtown that mixes up species pretty good. Whale sharks are the biggest of the lot, some Belugas, great whites, groupers, mantas, hammerheads and various other sharks, 120,000 fish, 500 species. The biggest problem is the Belugas, they lost several to some kind of disease but recently no problems. 290 million in contributions allowed them to open debt free and the highest ticket price to enter an aquarium keeps them that way. bing Georgia Aquarium for images

Yes they have had many different fish through the aquarium over the years,

its most likely ,cheaper and easier to replace the fish than actually have a

qualified aquarist on site to make sure their welfare is looked after.

An aquarium that size takes a lot of maintenance and would be costly to

keep it in tip top condition,seems like the aquarium has been put on the

back burner while they expand other areas of the mall.

regards Worgeordie

The tank is getting up in age. I remember seeing it over 10 years ago Plastic tends to turn yellow after awhile. Is that fresh or salt water?

Salt water. That can always be a problem getting the correct salinity for each species.

The tank is getting up in age. I remember seeing it over 10 years ago Plastic tends to turn yellow after awhile. Is that fresh or salt water?

Salt water. That can always be a problem getting the correct salinity for each species.

Actually all citizens of sea water live comfortably at about the same salinity Us hobbiests keep our aquariums at home at about 025..

This has to be one of the most surreal threads on any site anywhere! If I tell my friends back home that a bunch of (mainly) old men are fretting over a fish in a tank in a shopping centre I know what they d say !!!!!!!!!!

They'd probably have a thing or two to say about your compulsion to comment on it as well.

Jeez. Now someones getting upset about a joke comment about a dead fish.....blimey, mate, get a life !!!

The one that was suffering in the tank in the last couple of years was a replacement for the several previous ones that died under mysterious circumstances....actually, nothing mysterious, just neglect--they're only there to draw a crowd of sightseers--certainly not there for there own well-being.

• Like 1

This has to be one of the most surreal threads on any site anywhere! If I tell my friends back home that a bunch of (mainly) old men are fretting over a fish in a tank in a shopping centre I know what they d say !!!!!!!!!!

Well compared to discussing where to buy the cheapest noodles in town...

Well compared to discussing where to buy the cheapest noodles in town...

Seems to me I have seen this pattern of his before.

Make an outlandish statement and if any one calls him on it he softens his position then when some one comes along to agree with him he is all hard and this is the facts again.wai2.gif

Hi Postman Pat, I thought you only posted on here about how good True Visions was/is!

And having anyone showing concern for a living thing,nothing wrong with that at all, BUT it maybe only a fish to you

regards Worgeordie

That fish has been there for ages I dont know what's the life expectancy.

No. I wasn't joking--the fish do get replaced-

here is a photo from 2008,

with a scared looking sightseer [ actually, it's my daughter, who felt, like myself that it shouldn't be in the tank but, at home in the sea.]

and then it became another Grouper........a year or 2 later.

post-55156-0-76009000-1363045221_thumb.j

Edited by haybilly
  • Like 2

Hi Postman Pat, I thought you only posted on here about how good True Visions was/is!

And having anyone showing concern for a living thing,nothing wrong with that at all, BUT it maybe only a fish to you

regards Worgeordie

Worgeordie, I strongly suggest that long term memory issues and attempts at psycho analysis are not your strong point.

Suggest you stick to Pease Pudding, Newcy Brown, and supporting that crappy football team of yours that havent won a proper trophy since 1955 !!

That fish has been there for ages I dont know what's the life expectancy.

No. I wasn't joking--the fish do get replaced-

here is a photo from 2008,

with a scared looking sightseer [ actually, it's my daughter, who felt, like myself that it shouldn't be in the tank but, at home in the sea.]

and then it became another Grouper........a year or 2 later.

Cute picture Haybilly.

It shows the water quality was much better a few years ago.

Sad to see the condition of the tank recently.

regards Worgeordie

Worgeordie, I strongly suggest that long term memory issues and attempts at psycho analysis are not your strong point.

Suggest you stick to Pease Pudding, Newcy Brown, and supporting that crappy football team of yours that havent won a proper trophy since 1955 !!

Hi Postman Pat , you are very easily upset,AND you forgot to mention the Black pudding and Stottie bread,

regards Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie

regards Worgeordie

Hi Postman Pat , you are very easily upset,AND you forgot to mention the Black pudding and Stottie bread,

regards Worgeordie

Didnt mention Black Pudding as its not specifically a Geordie speciality, is it? I m from Yorkshire (cue insults from Worgeordie!!) and we get pretty decent Black Pudding down there too?

By the way, you can happily have a go at Leeds United in response to my go at your team, as I dont support them at all!!

All the best Worgeordie, I m only trying to have a bit of fun, honestly, something to take my mind off the pound plunging to 43!!!