Farangs Not Rented Cheapo Apartments?

hermespan

At a neighbourhood I would consider renting in I enquired at a 'mansion'. Apartments ranged from THB2500 (2.5M X 3M) to 12000. All I need is a storage room with a bed and fan that I visit 3-5 times a year for a couple of days to a few weeks (perhaps with a group of fellow hobos who also cone in and out of the country). I just have too much stuff to continue living out of a suitcase and stashing stuff in hotels. But I don't want to really put down roots. As I won't actually *live* in Thailand, it has to be CHEAP.

However, I was disappointed that I was told I could not rent one of the basic units. They were all occupied. Everything except the 4500 units.

I see several possibilities...

1. Most units ARE the 4500 units, and so that's what is available - pure business

2. They have a policy of encouraging expensive rentals to farangs because....

???

What I saw in the Victory Monument area that I live in is that loso apartment buildings don't like to rent to farangs, period. Two reasons I could see:

1. Farangs won't fit in. Right or wrong that's the perception working class Thais may have: they (wait staff, salespeople) are using to showing special deference to farangs but to the neighbor across the hall? If there are issues, will the Thais be able to work with the farangs? And, heck, who can speak their language?

2. Farangs are rich. Again, right or wrong, that's the perception. Enough of them in an apartment building and Thais are going to get priced out.

4500 thb "expensive rentals" :-) and the guy wonders why they don't want him...

And your point is what? Thais are not all rich. Neither are farangs. We run the gamut from destitute to Aga Khans. A valid reason is that there is a language barrier and it's not worth the hassle for low rent, but might be for the penthouse.

Another person mentioned social cohesion. This could be true too. Thais tend to accept all kinds of noisy and other behaviour where if it occurred in a western building, the tenant would be evicted. So, it's perhaps more about high expectations of farangs.

Can't sleep there in a storage facility. Want to kill two birds with one stone.

Just thought of another reason farangs *might* not be welcone...

A cheapsake farang probably wants to save money on short time hotel rooms also. Bad form in Thailand. Private life should renain private. This was one of the biggest complaints of Khmer landladies in PNH.

Have you considered that the cheap units are simply ... rented out???

If they are willing to rent you 4500 baht unit which is still in the lower half of the range you quoted (2500 to 12000), I'm not sure how you can come up with "farang not welcome" conspiracy theory? Or are you saying you know for fact there are 2500 baht units available?

There are several studio-only (one room) apartment buildings in my neighborhood - I'm no metric expert but I think these are ~ 20 sq m and go for 5,000-ish baht, and I know that they rent to foreigners as I see them coming and going. Maybe have a Thai person help you out? You may be confusing the management with your requests for storage, and/or infrequent use? Alternatively, motorbike taxi drivers at any BTS or MRT stop will know where these buildings are, and even if they have vacancies. Some get a small finder's fee for bringing in renters, esp. if they sign a 1 year agreement.

Edited by lomatopo

Have you considered that the cheap units are simply ... rented out???

If they are willing to rent you 4500 baht unit which is still in the lower half of the range you quoted (2500 to 12000), I'm not sure how you can come up with "farang not welcome" conspiracy theory? Or are you saying you know for fact there are 2500 baht units available?

It could indeed be exactly as you say and I suggested as my first post, rather like hotels that have very few of the very cheapest rooms.

They were hiwever, not interested in putting me on a wait list, which considering their profit from a big closet makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

B.S. I'm renting a 3k/month apt. now. I'm guessing many don't like to rent out the cheapo aps. to farang because they think you will leave in 1 or two months(they think you're a tourist). These landlords want LONG TERM TENANTS, not TOURISTS.

If its truly what you are looking for then I suggest PhahonYothin area. Soi 33 and up to Kasert there are a ton of places and you can get em for 3500 up. Managers rent to anyone. Just a basic room with a small bathroom attached. Enjoy.