Thailand Should Brand Itself Asean's Leader

webfact

Obviously he hasn't spend that much time in Thailand. Has he know idea that Thailand is the hub of everything. The 'branding' has already been very well established, which include persecution, corruption, prostitution, copyright infringement and a few others.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously he hasn't spend that much time in Thailand. Has he know idea that Thailand is the hub of everything. The 'branding' has already been very well established, which include persecution, corruption, prostitution, copyright infringement and a few others.

Can we add racism into this HUB?

• Like 1

This guy is an absolute imbecile. He is looking at things from such a limited point of view. And a very, very corrupt one, at that. Marketing is a very corrupt trade. Many practice it with no inclination to follow any moral course of action. Philip is one of those lost souls. He does not, and will not take into account any truth or reality on the ground. The very definition of ignorance. Thailand has to be willing to abide by the ASEAN charters, if they want to be the leader of the pack. That is something they are not doing. They sign the charters, and then just ignore the rules. They have not learned to be a team player.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

marketing guru Philip Kotler is one of the smartest and greatest thinkers in The World

I agree with him

He may be a smart guy and great thinker but he sure missed the boat on Thailand. But no one is right all the time.

give the role to singapore... well educated people with the lowest corruption rate in the region

nobody else deserve it, certainly not corrupt to the bone thailand

congratulations out of 41 posts you have a suggestion.

I believe it to be an impractable one however. My reasoning is Whatg does Singapore know about south east asia. They are here but if you look at their lifestyle you will see the western world.

Also Singapore is rated #5 in the world for lest corruption where as Thailand is rated #88 .

Not bad when you consider

Vietnam 123

Cambodia 157

Myanmar 172

Indonesia 118

Malaysia 54

Not up on who the other countries are but if China is one of them they are #80.

Looking at these figures I would think that most posters are not familiar with the region.sad.png

shock1.gif

I agree - Kotler 'has been smoking rope' - as my Father used to say...

Thailand gave away the opportunity to lead when the Americans left in the 70's. Subsequent strengthening of anti-foreigner laws have not helped them regain power.

One needs only examine success; Singapore, Hong Kong, Philippines, where foreign investment is aggresively sought - no weird, difficul to accomplish 51%-49% rules...

• Like 2

I think it would be good for Mr. Kotler to acquire a long term visa and stay in Thailand for one year. It would be interesting to hear what he has to say at the end of the one year.

He should rent a jet ski in Pattaya.

• Like 1

I have to say I think it is a great idea. He is looking at ways for Thailand to advance within this new framework. Why would that be a bad thing? The more successful Thailand becomes, the quicker they will have to deal with corruption to maintain that level. Let's cheer them on to success.

• Like 1

Whilst country's go about engineering themselves to become leaders, a 'marketing guru' suggests Thailand need to build a 'brand' image to look like a leader. Truly it makes us the Kingdom of Bling - few things we see around us are real !

Edited by SparklingCascades
  • Like 1

Having seen Mr. Kotler live in person in Chicago(basically spin, sign, then split) as part of a local mba program, I can mostly agree with Ken Albertson's(see the Nation, letters to the editor Friday March 8th) assessment. We heard the Branding Thai stuff then, but as residents of this country, we have a responsibility to protect what is here, not flaunt it until it is gone. That is not in line with self-sustainability, thats just plain selfishness. Mr. Kotler doesn't really know or care to understand Thailand, if he lived here he would suggest an enlightened marketing campaign.

I have to say I think it is a great idea. He is looking at ways for Thailand to advance within this new framework. Why would that be a bad thing? The more successful Thailand becomes, the quicker they will have to deal with corruption to maintain that level. Let's cheer them on to success.

Forget to take your medication this morning? The more successful Thailand becomes, the quicker they will have to enrich their offshore bank accounts. Example Ample Rich for one.

• Like 1

Oh yes, what a clever idea.....NOT.

ASEAN is a co-operative union of ten nations. I can't imagine any better way to piss off the other nine than by announcing you are going to be their leader especially when you obviously not qualified to be. Even Germany doesn't do that in the EU although in their case they are head and shoulders above the rest.

And your solution towards somebody taking the lead is nobody taling the lead? I have been on enough Committees and Boards in my lifetime to know that all members are not of equal strength, resolve, dedication, and knowledge and are looking for anyone to take the lead at the onset. A leadership group will provide nothing but talk. That is why you have Chairpeople. Your example of Germany in trying to solve the EU economic problems I think was a perfect example by you. What would have happened if Germany had not stepped up to the plate and basically took over the show. Every other country was thrilled to have them do it. Groups ALWAYS look for a leader. It MUST happen. Recognising this, who would you choose? Why would this be bad for us, people who live in Thailand?

The man says:

Thailand should brand itself Asean's leader

Something very critical is missing - the capability!

Any serious marketing consultant knows well to make a serious assessment and profile what a company / an organization / a country is capable of and then either:

- Set goals (stretch a little) that are actually achieveable. Or

- Fast track some seriousy development work to quickly gain ground in capability then set some higher goals (with recognition that this is all mid to long-term).

Are we referring to actual boots on the ground pragmatism? How many of the fabulously untalented people running this country do you suppose have that? Setting goals that were actually continued and followed up from one administration to the next would be a first step. In nearby grown up countries like Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, and even to some extent Vietnam, that is what we are seeing, and that is the reason Indonesia has overtaken Thailand, on nearly any measurable level. Malaysia is right there. Vietnam may be next. Will the Philippines be after that? That would leave Thailandia in the bottom rung of ASEAN. Imagine that?

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Oh yes, what a clever idea.....NOT.

ASEAN is a co-operative union of ten nations. I can't imagine any better way to piss off the other nine than by announcing you are going to be their leader especially when you obviously not qualified to be. Even Germany doesn't do that in the EU although in their case they are head and shoulders above the rest.

And your solution towards somebody taking the lead is nobody taling the lead? I have been on enough Committees and Boards in my lifetime to know that all members are not of equal strength, resolve, dedication, and knowledge and are looking for anyone to take the lead at the onset. A leadership group will provide nothing but talk. That is why you have Chairpeople. Your example of Germany in trying to solve the EU economic problems I think was a perfect example by you. What would have happened if Germany had not stepped up to the plate and basically took over the show. Every other country was thrilled to have them do it. Groups ALWAYS look for a leader. It MUST happen. Recognising this, who would you choose? Why would this be bad for us, people who live in Thailand?

Lead ASEAN? They can't even sort out the rice mess.

Edited by Mosha
  • Like 1