Having Kids

M&M

:o I'm English and my girlfriend of almost two years is Thai. We've recently found out that she's pregnant. We're quite happy about that but I've been hearomg horror stories and I would apprechiate some decent advice...

Is it true that a luk-krung baby (only half Thai) does not automatically get Thai citizenship?

Is it also true for a baby to get an British passport or citizenship we have to be married?

I will be eternally grateful for any facts, Info. or advice you could offer,

Many thanks in advance,

M&M

I work with three Luk-Krung, they are all Thai citizens buth their citizenship is recorded in a Thai name.

You need to speak to the British Embassy about nationality issues and marriage, I'd start by visiting their website and then call them to speak to a consular official.

Oh and congratulations, hope all goes well.

My two thai kids got thai passports easily and in half an hour, no questions asked and in my farang name. Sons thai passport says the equivalent of Peter Smith.

More difficult is the British side - for a British man and thai woman kids dont get automatic rights to British citizenship whether u are married or not (although if a Thai man marries a British woman and have kids they do). However all being equal it should not be a problem if you are married provided for example both your parents are British. If u not married I suspect that these days it might be a problem (although no doubt it has been done in the past many times and some old hack will post and say it is easy as). However I wouldnt count on a speedy response or success these days. Good luck and let us know.

My two thai kids got thai passports easily and in half an hour, no questions asked and in my farang name. Sons thai passport says the equivalent of Peter Smith.

More difficult is the British side - for a British man and thai woman kids dont get automatic rights to British citizenship whether u are married or not (although if a Thai man marries a British woman and have kids they do). However all being equal it should not be a problem if you are married provided for example both your parents are British. If u not married I suspect that these days it might be a problem (although no doubt it has been done in the past many times and some old hack will post and say it is easy as). However I wouldnt count on a speedy response or success these days. Good luck and let us know.

Persevere. The lack of marriage is not that important. De Facto circumstances at UK law are covered.