Bikers: Beware Checkpoint Sriricha --> Pty

JSixpack

Maybe 10 minutes outside Sriricha there's a fine new overpass w/ signs leading to Pattaya. (This isn't the new Laemchabang overpass further on). The "rule," maybe just created today, is that bikes aren't allowed on that particular overpass! Today all bikers traversing it, including me, got pulled over at the end and fined B300 (well, I don't know how much the Thais were fined, but I saw some pleading). No, they weren't targeting farang: mostly Thais got it. Tickets were issued; you present you ticket to another cop at a table set up under a shelter on the side of the road, pay, and get a receipt for payment. Legit checkpoint--sort of.

But that was today. I've used the same overpass before and found no checkpoint on the other side. So, it's Up2U if you wanna take the risk.

• Like 1

The old flyover has had a "no bikes" sign for a long time. As a car driver I'm not sure whether the newer one has one also but it seems likely. As far as I know the same rules apply to both of these as to the expressway (no 2-wheelers, pedestrians, noodle carts, hawkers, vendors etc etc).

I think the Thai traffic law doesn't allow motorbikes nor trucks with trailer on ANY flyover in Thailand.

There are also signs to this regard on the entrance to the highway in Pattaya, and laws have been enforced in the past and probably at some time in the future, but not currently.